JP Morgan report on Xbox 2

http://mail.chartermi.net/~spartan85/xbox_final.pdf

long read - sorry couldn't c&p

they mention a possible 04 release using ATI R420 or possibly even upgraded Radeon 9800 Pro
( isnt R420 and upgraded R3xx anyway?)
which I think is probably bunk--the 04 release with R420 that is.

they also mention an 05 release is more likely (duh!) - but no mention of future ATI graphics technology like R500. not that it won't be there.

I'd take this report with a huge grain of salt. They're just regurgitating the same info and rumours everyone else is and drawing their own conclusions.

Anyone in the know, knows exactly the processor configuration down to memory latencies and the exact configuration and feature set of the graphics chip. Although nothings set in stone at this point, given the level of detail of MS' presentations I think major functional units are unlikely to change dramatically.

I starting to suspect that we are unlikly to see any public showing of Xbox2 until late this year at the very earliest.

I was highly disapointed in this report. o_O

A better summary could be put together by just using threads from here and other gaming boards. :?

But this guy probably doesn't get paid 7 figures to read the Beyond 3D BB. ;)

I just get annoyed when everybody refers to it as a PowerPC G5 since there's no such thing as a PowerPC G5, the G5 is a computer not a processor... :p

And it wouldn't be a dual-core 970 either since the 970 isn't a dual core processor anyways..

CPU: IBM: Six PowerPC G5 cores in three-way CPU configuration
GPU: ATYT: Possible R420 Radeon Technology: Current SDK Using
Storage: FLSH: Possible technology similar to "Disk-on-Chip"
I/O: SiS: 2363.TW I/O connectors
RAM: Will Likely Depend on Decision by Sony

Its a speculation, they don't have the real specs, if they do, I assumed they would be under some kind of NDA.

But the number of CPU cores is most likely real, the hint on this board had been toward that.

And from archie4oz comment

And it wouldn't be a dual-core 970 either since the 970 isn't a dual core processor anyways.

I take it, they are three dual core processor like the 976 instead of the 970.

Also the configuration is described as three-way ? I assume the author tried to describe the number of chips, instead of the way the memory is shared, which not very consistent with system with 6 cores.

I don't think the Xenon GPU will be R420 or R500, it will be something completely different. Making X-Box a "PC-in-a-box" was a mistake for a number of reasons (cost being a big one)and MS won't do it again.

But why would ATI waste money by designing a whole new graphics ASIC architechure just for Microsoft, when they have several in design or already finished? Which is not to say it won't be customized - but it will almost certainly be a member of a family of mostly PC chips - be that R5XX or R6XX.

akira888 said:
But why would ATI waste money by designing a whole new graphics ASIC architechure just for Microsoft, when they have several in design or already finished? Which is not to say it won't be customized - but it will almost certainly be a member of a family of mostly PC chips - be that R5XX or R6XX.

Yea i'm pretty sure it will be based off the r500 or r600 most likely ms saying they need more pipe lines or vertex / pixel shaders .

R500 will probably be too large/expensive for MS, remember this is a high-end PC part. R600 - which if such a thing even exists - most likely won't be finished during 05 anyway if the current trend persists, and there are no reason to believe it will. It's quite likely R500 will be a winter 05 product at the earliest, again judging from past experience.

Guden Oden said:
R500 will probably be too large/expensive for MS, remember this is a high-end PC part. R600 - which if such a thing even exists - most likely won't be finished during 05 anyway if the current trend persists, and there are no reason to believe it will. It's quite likely R500 will be a winter 05 product at the earliest, again judging from past experience.
Well it is a highend video card . You think a 3 core cpu or 2 , 2 core or whatever will be in the xbox 2 wont be a high end expesnvie cpu ? You think the cell chip and whatever gpu deal they use wont be expensive.

This isn't the add in card market where in 6 months ms is going to introduce something new to be able to go up against sony or nintendo or whatever if they get cheap on the gpu .

Ms will take the best they can put in and since they are liscensing the tech as soon as they can move it to a process that drops the price they will .

Also don't forget that the ram they use wont stay top of the line forever and also they can modify it to have on die sdram on it that will give more bandwidth and cheaper costs . Perhaps 64megs of high speed on die ram to attack as storage for the fsaa frame buffer and then a ton of texture ram on the nice gddr3 ram that is fastest or close to the fastest at the time .

I dont' really see why ms wouldn't go for broke. They were willing to do it last time even though they had many disadantages . Why wouldn't they do it now when its as close to an equal playing field as they are going to get

akira888 said:

MS has lots of money.

jvd said:
Well it is a highend video card . You think a 3 core cpu or 2 , 2 core or whatever will be in the xbox 2 wont be a high end expesnvie cpu ?

So you expect to buy a console with a high-end expensive GPU, and a high-end CPU all for $250-ish? :rolleyes: You think MS is going to basically GIVE you a high-performance computer?

You better prepare for a surprise man, coz it's coming... Current box is bad enough with a rotten egg of a CPU in it, now you expect high-end CPU too?

Ms will take the best they can

YES, but that does NOT mean "the best money can buy".

I dont' really see why ms wouldn't go for broke. They were willing to do it last time

Um, well, maybe they want to make some profit this time? :rolleyes:

PC-Engine said:
akira888 said:

MS has lots of money.

But they are losing a lot each year... The also risk a serious fine from the European Commission. ;)

So you expect to buy a console with a high-end expensive GPU, and a high-end CPU all for $250-ish? You think MS is going to basically GIVE you a high-performance computer?

Well, I hope the perf is up-there...

I mean it's custom h/w, pushing the limits of the newest process, and with a focus on gaming functionality.

Back