Joke of the Day. EA bashes GOW for lack of innovation

Ben-Nice

Regular
EA bashing someones lack of innovation :LOL: .Now that's funny.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=69805

"I'm not talking about my tastes, I'm just saying, when you go to metacritic and you see a 96 for Gears of War, then you read the critics saying, 'Okay, storyline - there's none, gameplay is not innovative...' Then I say, why did they give this 96? They were blown away by the high quality of the graphics... Myself, I prefer something more creative," Tascan concluded.

EA needs a reality check really bad. Sadly, people keep buying their games. I hope they have a really bad year next year, I think it'd be better for gaming as a whole. If they have a bad year they'd have to reconsider what they're doing, and what they're doing right not consists of same game with new graphics.

Lack of innovation within a company does not neccesarily reflect the individual talent,especially within a company as big as EA.
Edit: There does seem to be this fear within the gaming journalism community to speak out,and you just don't see that problem with other reviews from other mediums like movies books to TV. Maybe because the community is so small, or so young but there seems to be a real lack of maturity in dealing with varying opinions.It's almost as if with certain games it's quality and score is decided long before it's even out .And if anyone speaks out the community at large goes on the defense using tactics ranging from subtle intellectual bullying to outright verbal attacks.
I imagine as a journalist, you want to avoid the backlash as much as anyone on a gaming forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say it but he's kinda right..

Gears is terribly uncreative for the most part. It has some creative scenes, like the berseker fight. And I'd say it's a bit new just in the way it's seamlessly cinematic. But for the most part, he's right.
but let's face that graphics are still number one," Tascan continued.

He's right, but that has never changed, popular perception aside (this is why I still have grave doubts about the Wii, PS3 clearly has more hype right now)
________
LURE_INTO

Gears is terribly uncreative for the most part. It has some creative scenes, like the berseker fight.

I just finished the Berserker part, I hope that's not the highlight in terms of creative boss fights. :???:

EA has no right to sling mud on other developers, but I'll leave it at that before I go on a rant. And I think it's against the rules to knock developers on this forum, so I'll shutup.

Edit: There does seem to be this fear within the gaming journalism community to speak out,and you just don't see that problem with other reviews from other mediums like movies books to TV. Maybe because the community is so small, or so young but there seems to be a real lack of maturity in dealing with varying opinions.It's almost as if with certain games it's quality and score is decided long before it's even out .And if anyone speaks out the community at large goes on the defense using tactics ranging from subtle intellectual bullying to outright verbal attacks.
I imagine as a journalist, you want to avoid the backlash as much as anyone on a gaming forum.
this is definitly true
the problem is due to they cant bite the hand that feeds them
a lot of the magazines + websites revenue is gathered from the companies that theyre meant to have 'free' opinions about
newspapers etc (whilst a bit true) is no where as bad, eg a newspaper critic about a film doesnt really affect the newspapers revenue cause film ad's are very minor

btw unbiased gaming review websites, name a few (im no expert these fellas look quite good)
http://www.gamerevolution.com/index.php

Reactions: one

Gears is terribly uncreative for the most part. It has some creative scenes, like the berseker fight. And I'd say it's a bit new just in the way it's seamlessly cinematic. But for the most part, he's right.

He's right, but that has never changed, popular perception aside (this is why I still have grave doubts about the Wii, PS3 clearly has more hype right now)

This EA BS is an OXYMORON.... period. (as they say in the U.S)

I think you missed the point. This is a person from EA. EA being the most uncreative company ever. Well, they must be creative, creative when it comes to finding way to create uncreative games but sell the in large mass and try to dominate the gaming business by buying everything. In that specific case, they are very creative.

Who was promoting Gears as an innovative title? Epic has said numerous times how important graphics are to them. EA calling them on this is even stupider than the oxymoron analysis indicates.

Gears' pull was never its creativity. It just looked fun to a lot of people. Surely that's a reasonable goal for a game. Not every piece of entertainment sells itself on creativity.

First, Alain Tascan is not EA. Second, he was not really bashing Gears of War so much as he was bashing the review industry for overrating it.
Why are people loving it so much? It's like added production value, incredible cutscenes and the best ever graphics ever. I'm sure it's going to be a great success, I can't wait to play it, but let's face that graphics are still number one
Sounds like he's pretty positive on the game itself. He just doesn't think it's pushing gaming forward in any significant way. Is that hypocritical? Well, I've never come across him saying that the combos in the latest licensed brawler will change the face of entertainment forever. I've never heard him claiming that the latest Need for Speed will redefine the way you think about racing games. I've never heard him complain that the latest incremental update of Madden deserves a 9.9.

There's no shame in putting out a solid "8" gaming experience. There's even less shame in putting together a sweet graphics engine, wrapping a well-executed, very fun, very traditional game around it, and putting it to market. What is a tad ridiculous is giving the game the sort of rating that really ought to be reserved for games that put together a truly memorable experience and add something more to gaming than just better graphics on a familiar experience. Metal Gear Solid, Torment, Ocarina of Time, Doom, Half-Life, Shadow of the Colossus, GTA 3, and Resident Evil 4 are such games. Is Gears of War such a game? I haven't played it, so I'm asking.

Compare to movies, that art form that many video games hopelessly ape. Would you give a with great special effects and explosions five stars if it also had a cookie-cutter plot, average acting, and a few fight scenes that looked like they were ripped straight from familiar classics?

lol all ea does is rerelease the same game over and over for 5 years(nfs, madden, etc) they dont even improve the graphics. the games are identical. i hope EA goes under. they havent released a good game in years.

"I'm not talking about my tastes, I'm just saying, when you go to metacritic and you see a 96 for Gears of War, then you read the critics saying, 'Okay, storyline - there's none, gameplay is not innovative...' Then I say, why did they give this 96? They were blown away by the high quality of the graphics...

Well, this is still pretty much correct. Most of the reviews have all the same points that are missing in GoW and still they score it 9,5. Other games would've been punished a lot more for the negative things in Gears.

fearsomepirate said:
There's no shame in putting out a solid "8" gaming experience. There's even less shame in putting together a sweet graphics engine, wrapping a well-executed, very fun, very traditional game around it, and putting it to market. What is a tad ridiculous is giving the game the sort of rating that really ought to be reserved for games that put together a truly memorable experience and add something more to gaming than just better graphics on a familiar experience. Metal Gear Solid, Torment, Ocarina of Time, Doom, Half-Life, Shadow of the Colossus, GTA 3, and Resident Evil 4 are such games. Is Gears of War such a game? I haven't played it, so I'm asking.

Exactly. I mean, let's take for example Geometry Wars.. it is AWESOME fun, it's VERY addictive. So, it's so much FUN but should it get a 9,7? Dont think so..

fearsomepirate said:
Compare to movies, that art form that many video games hopelessly ape. Would you give a with great special effects and explosions five stars if it also had a cookie-cutter plot, average acting, and a few fight scenes that looked like they were ripped straight from familiar classics?

10/10:smile:

I think he's right IMHO, i had a feeling that people would review the graphics and not the game when it came to Gears. But thats just me and my view :)

The game's just fun to play and it tries a lot of actual new things. It's not perfect but it's still a great game.

And EA can go to hell.

I agree with ninzel & fearsomepirate -- the reviewers themselves seem to lack maturity most of the time. Either they're under financial pressures or they're just too young or dumb to put things in perspective. Every time a new game comes out, I wonder how many of them ever played Sierra or LucasArts or Origin games back in their primes. I figure none of these games would even get 9s if that were the case. Just GTA and a handful of others.If anything, Tascan's quote is simply justification for EA's mindless crap -- they do it because it succeeds >_< The bulk of the gaming public is STUPID.

I do believe that being creative and innovative is not needed to get high scores and to be a great game, and it shouldn't need to either. I don't get why it is as every big titles that comes needs to have some new elements and innovation.

Isn't enough that what you do you do very well instead? Shouldn't that be the first goal and not having "innovations" for just being innovative, and I am sure that many innovative games have suffered from their new ideas being badly implented, concentreting on putting new stuff there rather than using them well.

In GoWs case, sure really new groundbreaking gameplay elements are not really there, but on the other hand they have taken some old ones to new hights and implemented them very well. It doesn't need to be revolutionary every time, it is good every now and then maybe, but evolution is what drives things forward in the long run, and GoW is certainly evolutionary...

Alain Tascan, general manager for EA Montreal, has revealed that he thinks Xbox 360 title Gears of War has been overrated by reviewers - with one or two exceptions.

This quote should definately be added to the original post. His critisism of innovation is in the context of the review score which makes it a fair point. Who he works for has nothing to do with the point he was making. I haven't played gears of war, but i can understand the point he's making.

The negativity around EA has unfairly tainted a lot of the views in this thread, clouding the responses, kind of in the same way he's suggesting the graphics clouded the reviewers judgement inflating the score.

Back