John Carmack talked @ GDC

Regular
It's a little hard to believe that id Software co-founder and master programmer John Carmack has never spoken at the Game Developers Conference but that changed today when he made one of the day's keynote addresses in front of a large audience. Here are some highlights:

To get this out of the way first, no new Doom III footage was shown and Carmack said the game was "pretty close" to release.

Carmack confirmed that id is already thinking about their next first person shooter project after Doom III is due. Unlike Doom III, which is in its fourth year of development, Carmack said their next game is only supposed to take a couple of years to make, mainly due to the fact that they don't plan to make a huge graphical leap as they did from Quake 3 Arena to Doom III.

Carmack revealed that he and id thought about, and then dropped, a plan to revisit Quake II, remaking the same exact game but use an all new graphics engine as a way to show off the engine without having to concentrate on game development.

Carmack talked about how game development is getting more and more expensive and how more and more people are needed to make major game releases (He said he wouldn't be surprised to see a game with a budget of $100 million fairly soon). However, he also said there is still room for a small team to create games that can have mass appeal and be successful, like teams who make web based or small downloadable titles. (These sentences give the impression that JC may embrace XNA later on :LOL: )

Carmack said predicting what new hardware will be out in the future and what it will do is basically a guess furthur out than five years, although he did say his unique position as creator of some of the most graphically intensive games tend to influence how graphics hardware companies make their future products.

While true photo-realism in games is still down the road a ways, Carmack said other aspects of games, like physics and AI, could become more important.

Carmack admitted that their success in creating the first person shooter genre has also created a Catch-22 for the company as people expect more of the same from id with little room for branching out into other genres.

In a Q&A after the keynote, Carmack stated that he wondered why future game consoles like the PS2 and the Xbox 2 will likely use multi-processors, saying such technology has not worked well for consoles in the past and wondered why this way of working was back in vogue again from console makers. ( I think many comsole programmers agree on this point. )

The final question was about his manned rocketry project. Carmack said they continue to test their rockets and hope to have a manned launched within a year or so. ( I hope JC will not be in the rocket. :oops: :LOL: )

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=21933

JC is really into his rockets. I'm pretty sure he'd ignore any email I sent him about graphics and games, but I got a reply out of him on rocketry. :D

Another one:

22:55 Legendary id founder and Doom creator John Carmack stunned Game Developers Conference 2004 with the revelation of a reworked version of classic FPS Quake 2 today.
The stunning admission came during Carmack's conference call earlier this morning, entitled A Candid Look at the Issues and Rewards of Bleeding Edge Engine Development, in which he discussed at length his companies plans following the imminent release of PC first-person shooter Doom 3.

Discussing the problems associated with creating top-line triple-A products, Carmack said: "Absolute best-case scenario, it would take us two and a half years to develop a high-end product," expressing the creative frustration involved with long dev times.

As a result, Carmack revealed that id's next title, following the release of Doom 3, would have a "really short development time". Since this automatically rules out building a major new game from scratch, Carmack said that for id's next title he would be turning to his existing portfolio, stunning attendees with word of a "Quake 2 remix, where we don't have to redo everything. This way people get more value from current technology."

Whilst this wasn't official confirmation of the project, it's clear that id is looking seriously at its previous titles with a view to updating them into super-shiny mutt's nuts-o-vision to make the most of the hardware currently available.

Carmack also used the conference call to launch a stinging attack on next-generation console development, blasting: "It's not a business model I like. I'm bothered by multiple processors( Again :LOL: ); I would have thought people would have learned their less by now - [multiple processors] rarely get used as much and hinder development."

Speaking on the belief that next-gen architecture will be structured around more than one processor, he continued: "I'm not thrilled with these directions; we've had several generations showing [multiple processors] don't work."

Aside from these matters, Carmack reconfirmed Doom 3 is "really close; we'll be shipping it really soon now," whilst also commenting on the sea-change in id's dev process, using multiple developers on the project, meaning "there are source files in Doom 3 I've never opened!" Carmack also stated he believed graphics on a par with the CGI found in Return of the King would be achievable in videogames in ten years. ( Oops :oops: )

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=102803

How did EuroGamer and CVG manage to get polar opposite impressions of iD's next game? :? GG, news media. Flubbing something as simple as what game iD will rehash next should teach us something about believing everything we hear about ever-more-complicated next-gen GPUs, eh? ;)

It's funny that he talked about making a Quake-remix, considering Raven is already working on Quake 4 with the Doom 3 engine.

I wouldn't mind dealing with a quake 2 remix if it means a new engine .

Face it id makes crapy single player games. They make the best engines on the pc side of things (with valve and tim sweeny close behind) . So if getting a few remixs with new engines means a new id engine for good content game companys to uses i'm all for it

Heh.. I believe the context of the Q2 quote was along the lines of "We've thought about..." giving an example of something they could do quickly to just showcase the cool new hardware abilities, if that was their goal. It certainly wasn't a 'stunning announcement' of what they plan to do.

Edit: incidentally, he also mentioned that he had just recently "gotten an nv40 card and plugged it into [his] dev system" and that "it rocks". It was a spontaneous aside, but boy, you can't beat that kind of endorsement if you're nvidia. (At least, I'd like to continue believing that it was an entirely spontaneous comment.. :rolleyes: )

nobie said:
It's funny that he talked about making a Quake-remix, considering Raven is already working on Quake 4 with the Doom 3 engine.
Not necessarily, quake2 and quake3 are slighty different. I think quake2 has a vague story line while quake3 is complete shooting & killing game.

VVukicevic said:
Edit: incidentally, he also mentioned that he had just recently "gotten an nv40 card and plugged it into [his] dev system" and that "it rocks". It was a spontaneous aside, but boy, you can't beat that kind of endorsement if you're nvidia. (At least, I'd like to continue believing that it was an entirely spontaneous comment.. :rolleyes: )
I'm keen to bet on Nvidia making an official statement on this ;)

991060 said:
Not necessarily, quake2 and quake3 are slighty different. I think quake2 has a vague story line while quake3 is complete shooting & killing game.
But Raven's Q4 is Quake 2 2 - a direct sequel.

Isn't some other developer doing Q4 ? They were some screen leaks sometimes ago, I remember.

They better off, finding something else.

He has mentioned that he'd like a remix of the earlier Quake games with the Doom 3 engine, each game keeping their distinctive physics, weapon balance etc. Sounded more like bait for an external developer when i read it though... or maybe a smokescreen for the others at id that don't want to do another fps? :)

hnric said:
He has mentioned that he'd like a remix of the earlier Quake games with the Doom 3 engine, each game keeping their distinctive physics, weapon balance etc. Sounded more like bait for an external developer when i read it though... or maybe a smokescreen for the others at id that don't want to do another fps? :)

From gamespy interview at Quakecon 2003:

I thought it would be kind of neat if we took the DOOM renderer, and we had a team take previous games-don't touch the game, just revamp it graphically. Just take Quake II, and just use the DOOM engine to make brand new graphic models and everything. But don't spend time messing with the gameplay because we know that is pretty good. Just release it as Quake II Remix with brand new graphics technology and sell it at a middle-level price instead of a boutique price.

Seems like a good idea to me. Especially with todays huge increase in development costs. (And i happen to like Quake 2 multiplayer :))

I remember an old quote from someone at Sierra about Leisure Suit Larry, that in the VGA days they thought it would be good to take the old EGA graphics, update them, and resell the game. After all, people buy remaster CD's and go to see remastered films, don't they?

"That was when we discovered games aren't films or CD's".

I remember an old quote from someone at Sierra about Leisure Suit Larry, that in the VGA days they thought it would be good to take the old EGA graphics, update them, and resell the game. After all, people buy remaster CD's and go to see remastered films, don't they?

"That was when we discovered games aren't films or CD's".

Well, they need to learn it from Nintendo. Nintendo didn't bother to update the graphics of the original Super Mario Brothers, when it was re-release as famicom classic range and it sells well over in Japan.

Actually all their remake mostly been a really good seller and Super Mario Advance and Pokemon remake did really well actually. So it can be done :D

Back