John Carmack on VR development: "We are coasting on novelty"

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by ToTTenTranz, Oct 13, 2016.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

RootKit likes this.
  2. tabs

Veteran

None that I play. I think the problem is with locomotion and human input, which cockpit sims pretty much have solved already.

milk likes this.
  3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Well you have dragon front which is a ccg come to life. You have edge of no where and chronos and even feral rites. With touch it looks like we will get a few more games oh and mine craft.

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Resident Evil 7 will be fully playable in VR too. We will get good stuff for sure. There are already a bunch of titles showing where VR makes a big difference ...

5. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

It's a shame that resolution is where it is, as one generation I'd love to be VR by default is strategy games. I know there's a few examples, like Airmech VR.

I'd love for Civ6, City Skylines or Planet Coasters to in VR.

6. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Never thought of that, any articles/reviews of people using VR for that kind of games ?

7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I've used big screen to play Civ5 but the text is way to small.

I don't think larger resolutions is going to fix right away. Games need to be designed with VR in mind and text needs to be blown up. Even on a Note 5 screen text is way to small

8. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

There's mini version of that kind of game in Psvr.

Oh my genesis. Around 2-3 dollars in Indonesia psn

9. hughJ

Regular

I suspect that much like FPSs, those sorts of overheard tabletop/RTS style games will require a lot more fiddling than one might initially think to work comfortably in VR for long sessions. Everything from orientation of the landscape/board to neck and arm fatigue become non trivial UI design elements to deal with. With a monitor you have your game map at an arbitrary angle (overheard, 3/4, isometric, etc) but always comfortably at eye-level and completely natural feeling. In VR however, having a large map in front of you at a tilted angle like that can actually produce vertigo as your main focus and point of spatial reference is an uncomfortably steep surface. Conversely, if the map is oriented on the same plane as your floor/desk, you may run into the issue of constantly wanting to bend your body/head/neck downward in order to hover over the game board - not a very comfortable position to maintain for long sessions. Undoubtedly these games will get made for VR, but I'm quite sure at this point that it's going to require a significant re-engineering of how the UI (and possibly gameplay) works in a way that's totally bespoke for VR.

Silent_Buddha likes this.