John Carmack on DOOM3 Rendering

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Re: eat some of my words

Uhm, mebbe? If my babble-translator is correct, I think the poster was trying to state that he feels that Id made mistake in launching Doom using the current technology and engine and that Carmack should have waited until UT2k3 came out and technology had advanced to it's present point and have used THAT to make the original Doom. :|

Actually after translating it it's a kind of cool thought. Picture the original Doom made using the UT2k3 engine with every bell & whistle going and playing smoothly! :)

It's a kind of cool thought, but a totally moronic cool thought at that. How can ya use the current highest state-o-the-art FPS engine (arguably, I know :roll: ) in the game that pretty much started the whole FPS genre? (Again, arguable...but close enough to use for examples sake. ;) )

2. Anonymous

Veteran

:O ok was me

:shock: Sorry I did that in a rush as I was between mapping and a thought ,well 2 thoughts at once
    What I was trying to say is I was wondering why having a g force 4ti I would be looking at 2-10 fps playing doom 3 … I picked this up from threads about the leek…..i believe that Doom 3 depicts brilliant game play as all the other dooms before it ….
    But whats good game play ,in tight quorter combat if you dead because you get a shot off?
    I see the emphasis is on realism and mood ,the lighting and d-fog setting the mood ,for the well made textures and sprites…. Hens deeply enhancing the games depiction

I was thinking what if doom 3 was made in uted3 would it hold the fps better
    But on closer analysis questioned this thought ….â€ye I map in uted 3 and have been quite impressed with what it can do .â€.but am deeply thinking of what the doom3 engine can pull off….as I rather make single player maps than team maps as they lack adventure ..
    The sad thing is I will have to wait some time before I can play with the new doom ed
    But was keen to know all I can about it even before it came out .
    I do my own lighting as well so im even more interested in what the engines lighting capability’s are ….i think I just have questions and if some 1 can make sense from what I just seed ..please feel free to fill me in …..â€maybe I draw as im not good at expressing my self in any other way except in my art “
    Here is a link was meant to be funny but we will see haha :
    twisted: uted3 viz of doom :roll:
    http://groups.msn.com/acidDrean/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=396

3. Anonymous

Veteran

On leeks & other vegetables

No, still don't know what you're on about.

Seems to me you think the new Unreal engine would be better suited to render Doom3's survivor-horror subject matter..?

You might have a point there - nothing scares the pants off me like large, open nature strips and candy color-schemes.

Seriously, give it a break. Next you'll be asking why Unreal wasn't made with the Dark Engine. Or Commander Keen with the Ultima Underworld engine. Or Daikatana with any other engine.. ;)

And for crying out loud - the word is LEAK!!

A leek is a long, white vegetable. The unauthorised release of game code or content is called a leak. There! I've said my piece.

4. Anonymous

Veteran

Re: The truth 3

The following bit should already have given "JC ain't God" away...

JC belongs to Armadillo Aerospace, a team participating in the X-Prize contest (to send a manned vehicle to orbit, twice in two weeks), for pete's sake!

JCaG is an *obvious* troll. You have all been trolled. You have lost. Have a nice day.

5. Anonymous

Veteran

Well bottom line I want to map in the doom ed I’m like a 3year old waiting 4 Xmas
    I was born to map doom 1/2/fd/64 just enforced my will to to want to make my own game
    Im trying to get a head start so any pointers would be nice ….

Iv only ever mapped in uted3 and is the only program I can refer to
    Not as thought I think uted can cream doom eds fps was just a question
    I only have made fps maps but I don’t like the bulky guns of uted
    I like adventure I like presser under fire that doom can only give quake is its basted child a doom want to be :O and I only have interest in finding out how doom 3 works from all aspects, know the engine then you know what you can and can not map.
    I like lighting as it makes or brakes a levels mood and can make a crap level look good
    Haha any way any info that could give me a head start would be cool
    As im sure there will be a lot to learn…
    Here is a update pic on a map im mulling over ,is not finished but has some mood

And jokes aside I ant playing around I don’t work all I do is map day in day out
    And read tuts.. and be nice if it was doom3s ;) even if I don’t have ed for now.
    sorry so long link but is my temp page and is out of dait have to get new 1 :| but hy u can still se a pic and fps meen nothing as area is small..
    http://groups.msn.com/acidDrean/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=398

6. Anonymous

Veteran

Air, need air-

two things, Guest: punctuation and breathing.

You need the former to help us work out what your question is, if any, or what point you're making, if any. Notice the little dots and squiggles that follow each sentance? Clarity, sweet clarity.

As to breathing, let it out now before you asphixiate.
    That was the longest sentance i've ever seen, and the way it trails out at the end into incoherent syllables.. you must have been turning blue and lapsing into a coma brought on by oxygen-starvation.

So try a little punctuation, maybe a comma here and there, or even a point. You'll feel better and it'll do wonders for your spelling.

(By the way, AFAIK the Doom3 alpha was.. uhm, misappropriated from Id, and not officially released - hence the lack of books, tutorials, sample models/levels, etc. But don't worry - Id have stated in interviews that they're making the editor as user-friendly as possible, to give you (YES! YOU) the best head start you could ask for.. once it comes out. ;) )

7. Anonymous

Veteran

heh

this conversation thread devolved in the most humerous way.

8. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

Okay, enough of the spurious posts folks.

9. Sworkhard

Newcomer

This thread is almost 2 years old. What prompted a guest to reserect it anyhow when after almost 2 years of development since the interview things have progressed and changed drastically.

10. Anonymous

Veteran

It's funny because you can see how wrong everyone was. Everyones talking about displacement mapping and not understanding Z-only pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.