John Carmack: Direct3D is better than OpenGL

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Kaotik, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/11/carmack-directx-better-opengl/1

Despite always being a big OpenGL supporter, John Carmack in new interview said that Direct3D is better API than OpenGL is, mostly thanks to the jump Microsoft did with D3D10, rendering it completely incompatible with D3D9 and earlier.

He also mentions, though, that they at iD will continue to use OpenGL for their games.

2. I.S.T.

Veteran

The code base is probably way too reliant on OGL at this point in time to make switching economical, given he says OGL is good enough. I imagine if it was heavily flawed, he would switch...

3. rpg.314

Veteran

Not surprising at all.

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Nothing of news here. A live and evolving API should always be better than a dead or stagnant API, especially when the video hardware capabilities are always evolving.

5. rpg.314

Veteran

Dead AND stagnant more like it.

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

So they'll definitely be using OGL for Rage, but what about future projects?

7. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Does anybody know what IDTech 3 and 4 use on the consoles? Did MS actually let them use OpenGL on Xbox and Xbox 360?

8. I.S.T.

Veteran

They used the APIs the systems had available, thus no OGL. Likely new renderers were written for them, but I don't think Carmack had anything to do with the ID Tech 3 and 4 engines on the X360. I could very well be wrong on that, though.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

While it's been known Rage will be primarily OpenGL for PC, they said it's not completely out of the question to write Direct3D renderer for it too, as apparently the XB360 renderer they're making shouldn't be that hard to port over to PC