Jobs in the game industry for 3D programmers?

Greetings,

I am a math/CS student looking to start working in the games industry as an engine programmer after I graduate (in 2 years). I've done exceptionally well in pure math/applied math courses as well as CS courses, but I feel that the skills and knowledge required for hardcore graphics programming are far beyond what are developed in college courses.

To this end, I have begun learning all I can about 3D graphics and other aspects of game engines. Now I suspect that my skills won't be marketable for a while (since I am, after all, new to this scene and only got my first "box room with a light" demo running last week), but my question is: will there still be a market for 3D programmers in the next 5 years? I feel that most game companies simply license other engines from guys who've been doing this for decades (Carmack, Sweeney, et. al), especially since real-time graphics seems to be almost "done" (and considering it'll be years before I have "caught up")

Advice? Should I still pursue this with the intention of working in the games industry or would it be advisable to just pursue something with more life left in it?

-ER470

The game industry has plenty of life left in it man!

There are plenty of folks on this board with the answers you're looking for, but for my part I wish you the best and hope to see you around here for years to come.

Greetings,

I am a math/CS student looking to start working in the games industry as an engine programmer after I graduate (in 2 years). I've done exceptionally well in pure math/applied math courses as well as CS courses, but I feel that the skills and knowledge required for hardcore graphics programming are far beyond what are developed in college courses.

To this end, I have begun learning all I can about 3D graphics and other aspects of game engines. Now I suspect that my skills won't be marketable for a while (since I am, after all, new to this scene and only got my first "box room with a light" demo running last week), but my question is: will there still be a market for 3D programmers in the next 5 years? I feel that most game companies simply license other engines from guys who've been doing this for decades (Carmack, Sweeney, et. al), especially since real-time graphics seems to be almost "done" (and considering it'll be years before I have "caught up")

Advice? Should I still pursue this with the intention of working in the games industry or would it be advisable to just pursue something with more life left in it?

-ER470

In short... likely yes... & good luck...

Real-time graphics are pretty far from "done". Just like how non-real-time graphics are still improving rapidly. Games are always going to be searching for a unique look or to solve unique requirements in order to stand out from the crowd. Even houses that license UE3 do heavy customizations. If you love it, you will be able to do very well in 3D engine programming.

Back