Jim Merrick speaks about Revolution...

EndR

Regular
Some tidbits..

- Revolution will launch worlwide within 14 weeks maximum, that means on the same quarter in every region.
- Multiplayer mode in Revolution will be similar to the NDS: multiple players with only one copy of the game.
- You'll be able to download retro games from different regions (for instance, an European user could download Super Mario RPG for the SNES from the US server).
- When played on Revolution, N64 games will have better framerate but there won't be significant graphical improvements.
- No Revolution games will be shown in 2005.
- There won't be any significant differences in the graphics of Revolution compared to the other systems

This comes from an interview conducted by Meristation (in spanish):
http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_a...=cw4364e1acb0d17&idj=&idp=&tipo=art&c=1&pos=0
------

EndR said:
- Multiplayer mode in Revolution will be similar to the NDS: multiple players with only one copy of the game.
Oh yes? Someone with a Rev will be uploading gigabytes of data up over their 256 MBit uplink?

Shifty, i wouldn't read too much into that if it's really very much like multiplayer games on the NDS, as few of them support full game upload over the air.

EndR said:
Some tidbits..

- Revolution will launch worlwide within 14 weeks maximum, that means on the same quarter in every region.

I love the sound of this. I hope Sony could open their eyes to try something like this.

wireles lan game where
1rev console is server connecting up to 6 TV's ?? , others are clients controlling just the input side of things.?
(or maybe emulated games will be shared)
about sony ps3 worldwide launch:
i dont th!nk it's a question about 'willing to deliver' but 'can deliver'

EndR said:
-No Revolution games will be shown in 2005.
No I has some hope on that, it would be good to take some attention from XB360 too (even if it is only some simple gameplay, ign like, demos).
EndR said:
- There won't be any significant differences in the graphics of Revolution compared to the other systems

I hope the same can be said for AI, physics etc...

The rest his more or less what I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
All sounds very good! Although a 14 week window for launches around the world isn't quite simultaneous (but much better than what we've had from Nintendo or Sony before).

hey69 said:
wireles lan game where
1rev console is server connecting up to 6 TV's ?? , others are clients controlling just the input side of things.?

I don't think this would work. I'd say most games will probably work peer-to-peer or with a traditional client-server model, with servers on the publishers end. I think the game sharing would just be sharing data relevant to the multiplayer part of the game..I'm not sure if it'd need to be gigabytes of data (?) Though it could be rather a lot of data still...

well, lets say its only 150 mbyte of data.
on a 54mbit wireless connection , thats 22mbit sustained real troughpout you can practicly send.... (22mbit give or take 3mbyte a second maximum.)
i'm curious.. :)

darkblu said:
Shifty, i wouldn't read too much into that if it's really very much like multiplayer games on the NDS, as few of them support full game upload over the air.
But how could any games be played with only one copy on Revolution? Seems like an impossibility to me. Unless you can download the game code but not be able to play it without a license, while sharing one license in multiplayer?

may be i'm too much of a sceptic but i still don't undertsand how revolution can match xbox 360 and ps3 in terms of power,be size of 3 dvds stacked together and still cost substantially cheaper than those two. I mean look at graphical quality of some the first gen 360&ps3 titles such as gears of war and metal gear solid 4, can rev really be able to produce that kind of visual fidelity?

Also another thing i find hard to belive is late summer /early fall 06 release , from what i know sony finalized ps3's during specs late q4 04 and started to send out ps3 dev kits as early as spring 05. Nintendo in the other hand is still discussing the final specs of rev hardware and telling devs that nothing is finalized yet so...arent they little bit behind the schedule if they are really thinkin' a late summer early fall launch? I know a direct comparison between sony development/production schedule and nintendo's is not %100 fair one, of course nintendo always relied on its 1st party and they dont really need 3rd party support right away at the launch but considering the fact that they havent even released zelda:twilight princess yet , i really think that a proper/successful worldwide launch before 2007 is not feasible.

About playing with one copy of the game with multiple Revs:

This is great. Revolution is small in size so is less of a pain to move it around, plus the WIFI, great for local matches withouth all those cables liyng around. Imagine every multiplayer game at least with some arenas to play with one copy (but with limitations) like we get now with the DS. I never understood how with the built in hardrive on the xbox1 no one tried this.

Better frame rates for the N64 games. Obviously, if true, we'll also get 640*480 resolution and maybe 480P scan. My only problem with most N64 games is the low resolution. I can tolerate the low poligon counts and frame rates in games like Majora Mask or Golden Eye, heck i see then almost as enjoyable as current gen games baring the resolution problems.

Finally, reserve judgement on the graphics comparisons to XBOX360 and PS3 until they unveal the games.

may be i'm too much of a sceptic but i still don't undertsand how revolution can match xbox 360 and ps3 in terms of power,be size of 3 dvds stacked together and still cost substantially cheaper than those two.

Revolution isn't the size of 3 DVD cases stacked together. It'll be around twice that size. Still very small compared to the other consoles, but then so was GC (it was also much cheaper then PS2 and XBox). Also Merrick said there won't be any significant difference in graphics, he didn't say Revolution will have the exact same processing power. What he's saying is that Revolution's graphics won't look out of place next to the other two systems, it will look next gen. Just like GC's graphics weren't out of place this generation next to PS2 and XBox.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish it was the size of 3 DVD cases.

But they use the analogy as an aproximation even thoguh the prototype they showed at E3 was bigger. I mean we have to agree is easier to picture mentally 3 DVD cases than imagine an abstract volume measure, like 7'' * 10'' * 4''.

Shifty Geezer said:
But how could any games be played with only one copy on Revolution? Seems like an impossibility to me. Unless you can download the game code but not be able to play it without a license, while sharing one license in multiplayer?

It's clearly not impossible, because they've already done it on DS. You download enough code to play the game along with a level or two and a few cars/skins/football teams/etc, and when you shut the machine off, it all disappears into the netherworld. Have you played DS? The single-cart multiplayer is always a very stripped-down version of the full-fledged multiplayer. Usually there are no more than 2 or 3 levels available (often only 1) only a few game options, and a limited selection of playable characters. There's never anything like a full co-op mode or 27 DM maps. The entire thing is stored in RAM, and when you shut the DS off, you lose everything.

Back