Jiangjia Micro (Chinese built GPUs)

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
Noticed a bit on Tom's today about Jiangjia Micro, which supposedly has under it's belt the first "homegrown" chinese GPU and today has replaced ATI/AMD chips in chinese military aircraft.
According to the piece, they're also starting to market their GPUs towards the public, with one of their future GPU promising PCIe4, 8 TFLOPS and 200W TDP.
On the API side at least at the moment the chips are supposed to support OpenGL 4.5 and OpenCL 2.0, so they need to add DirectX and Vulkan support at least if they plan to make it on commercial markets.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/j...-4.0-16gb-hbm-gtx-1080-performance,40217.html

They've supposedly taped out and succesfully manufactured & packaged two new GPUs now, no word on whether they actually work too, but JM9231 is compared to GTX 1050 and JM9271 to GTX 1080 on some sort of slide
View attachment 5859

https://news.mydrivers.com/1/783/783348.htm
https://videocardz.com/newz/jingjia...erformance-officially-tapes-out#disqus_thread
interesting stuff. That being said, I dont see it as a competition for nVidia, AMD, nor Intel.

The lack of DirectX or Vulkan support converts it into a paperweight, for games at least. Still, it's a step that could add more competition in the future.

interesting stuff. That being said, I dont see it as a competition for nVidia, AMD, nor Intel.

The lack of DirectX or Vulkan support converts it into a paperweight, for games at least. Still, it's a step that could add more competition in the future.

GPUs that are intented to crypto mining?

Part of me is wondering what existing copyrighted technology they've copied to get this running. I'm not trying to be a bad person, it just seems a lot of these products end up being a blatent copy (sometimes, a poorly implemented one) of someone else's design. However, if this is truly new IP they've created of their own, then I'll say I'm happy for them and glad for another player in the GPU space (even if they're pretty far down the performance and capability curve.)

Chinese GPU Maker, Jing Jiawei, commences JM9 chip production, first chip a far cry from NVIDIA's GTX 1080's performance
December 21, 2021
Jing Jiawei, a Chinese domestic GPU manufacturer, released a statement recently that their new JM9 series processors are ready for sale, due to finishing preliminary testing of the chips. The JM9 is prepared to meet premium requirements for displays, as well as AI computing requirements, such as media processing, games, geographic information systems, CAD-based designing, and virtualization.
The graphics processor manufacturer had stated that performance of the JM9 will equal the performance of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. However, based on the latest specifications provided by the company, it appears that it does not close enough of the gap to be comparable due to the JM9 being an entry-level independent display category. The JM9's FP32 (floating point) performance is only capable of 1.5TFlops, where the GTX 1080 can access as high as 11.3TFlops—a difference of 6.5 times more than the JM9.

If this gpu has no api support then its going to have to be programmed "to the metal" like cards were in the dos days, the programming guide will be interesting (if you can read chinese :D)

Back