JHH philosophical question of the day

Voltron

Newcomer
Assume that NVIDIA is a formidable competitor to Intel in the mid- to long term. Leave AMD out of the equation to minimize complexity and just assume AMD will have a happy and strong existence. If JHH left NVIDIA and became CEO of Intel, but could not take many key staff with him, would the mid- to long-term market dynamics change significantly from how they are written today?

What you essentially just asked was "imagine the impossible". So I'm off to think about the fun I'd get up to with Diora Baird instead, rather than another daft missive on an imagined state of the semiconductor industry :yes:

Assume that NVIDIA is a formidable competitor to Intel in the mid- to long term. Leave AMD out of the equation to minimize complexity and just assume AMD will have a happy and strong existence. If JHH left NVIDIA and became CEO of Intel, but could not take many key staff with him, would the mid- to long-term market dynamics change significantly from how they are written today?

Kruno, don't you know we don't allow sock puppets? (j/k)

Really, dude. . . what are you smoking? Under what insane scenario does Jen-Hsun (who I have the greatest respect for, btw) become CEO of Intel without a merger with NV being in the cards as well?

The fact is it is highly unlikely that stodgy old Intel would agree to let JHH be CEO *even if* he brought the rest of Nvidia with him, let alone if he came by himself.

Did I neglect to mention its purely hypothetical. Sorry. I thought it was painfully obvious that this would never happen in a million years. Simply an interesting and unsual business and industry question.

If anybody questions whether or not JHH is a top notch CEO they can skip this discussion. He, afterall, has led the company back from a mini meltdown (NV30) to a point where margins are about 50% higher than those of the competition. The margin disparity is an incredible feat and if people don't think it is, please cite many other industry examples (tech or otherwise). I can think of a few, but it is rare.

They point is NVIDIA is legitimately positioned to be a majorly important tech company, as is JHH's stated goal. If he left NVIDIA at this point in its history, would they already have enough momentum and management infrastructure to continue on their current path. I think this might be the case. The have four very focused business lines and lots of technolgy and ingrained corporate culture.

A bigger question is if the cagey JHH were to suddenly and compltely hypothetically leave and become CEO of Intel, would he be able to so cruely and completely hypothetically turn the tables on his beloved NVIDIA?

I think Intel would have to have suffered a major, major melt-down before that scenario even begins to look reasonable *even as a hypothetical*. There is such a thing as corporate culture, and Intel's as born and bred over a very long history is just not conducive to having the kind of flamboyant CEO brought in from outside that JHH represents. I think you'd have to be looking at the real possibility of Intel slipping to third place before the kind of desperation and stockholder pressure could be brought to bear to overcome that encrusted cultural roadblock.

That Intel has never had an outsider is hardly the point of what i was getting at. Im pretty sure Rys understands but is understandably prefering to enjoy himself in other ways.

As a side note, from an outsider's perspective, Otellini does indeed seem to be a huge step up from Barrett, but some analysts were calling for an outsider to take the reigns at Intel recently (not that I would endorse that). Also, calling JHH flamboyant is a little offbase, imo. I would say charismatic, as many leaders are, including the great Andy Grove, much of whose management philoshophy has been undoubtably deployed at NVIDIA. To know this all you have to do is read "High Output Management" by Andrew Grove, then cross-reference it with certain job postings at NVIDIA.

My question pertains to management ability, strategic vision, and industry dynamics. And since many people on this forum seem to enjoy talking about business (certainly listenting to quarterly conference calls), I thought I would propose it. You could just cut it in half and think what would happen to NVDA at this stage if JHH was gone for any reason? But it's a little more exciting to throw the Intel wrench in there.

Intel could buy nvidia rather easily and I'm sure they wouldn't want anything to do with JHH either.

What you essentially just asked was "imagine the impossible". So I'm off to think about the fun I'd get up to with Diora Baird instead, rather than another daft missive on an imagined state of the semiconductor industry :yes:
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

I'm gonna do the classic Scarlett Johansson scenario myself. :cool:

Back