Jen-Hsun Talks NV4x

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Bambers

Regular

HL2 was running ok on my pc at 1280x960 4xAA 16xAF.

Or rather my 9800pro was still outpacing my xp2000+

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

No clue, last I heard the Carmack had said he was NOT going to include a benchmark utility with Doom at all.

3. PatrickL

Veteran

I never said it was Camark writing it. I just heard is was Nvidia making one based on doom 3.

4. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

how about the d3test timedemo? heh. that's probably it, because Carmack has said that there will be a Doom 3 test, just like there was with Q3A.

5. Anonymous

Veteran

The hallucinogenic soundbite was originally made with NV40 in mind. It's only people who didn't listen to everything Jen Hsung said (hint: the Merryl Lynch analysis) that thought the comment must refer to NV35...

6. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Um, ok. :?

7. Anonymous

Veteran

Um....... ya thats what I thought he meant........ :roll:

8. Anonymous

Veteran

By the time NV30 launched, development on the nV3x line had already all but ceased. NV35 taped out not long after NV30 launched. NV38 is only a very minor tweak of NV35.

Huangs' Merryl Lynch comments were made one or two days after NV30's launch. In that report he stated NV3x was essentially finished and nVidia would be focussing most of its resources on the next generation - NV40.

The hallucinogenic comment was made after all the above transpired.

9. Anonymous

Veteran

The quote went along the lines of "If they [ATI] think they are going to hold on to the performance lead throught to the end of the year [2003] then they are smoking something hallucinogenic". Given this was said prior to NV35's release, then he probably talking about that. If he was talking about NV40, then thats no better as that suggests its now 3-6 months late. Either way, he was wrong.

10. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

to be fair, NV40 was going to be out in November originally. something happened, and voila, NV38 arrived instead. I don't believe that anyone really knows for sure.

11. Anonymous

Veteran

Huang never expected NV3x to beat R3xx after the Merryl Lynch comments. nVidia knew they were beat this generation.

NV38 came into being simply because it was profitable for nVidia to make it. Contrary to what the fanatics would have you believe, the NV3x series has sold very well indeed, and made profit for nVidia into the bargain.

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

Uhm, you wouldn't happen to have any type of evidence to back that up...would ya?

Normally I wouldn't call someone on something like that, but it just kind of flies in the face of common sense and reason with all we know 'bout the FX. :|

13. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Just prooves P.T.Barnum was right........ :wink:

14. Anonymous

Veteran

Here's sales numbers from 3rd quarter 2003:
    http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/29439

Clearly the FX series is doing very poorly compared to former NVidia GPU's. In the high-end ATI has a big lead. It used to be the other way around...

Budget looks nice, but that is entirely composed of the FX-5200. (Which you see in almost every OEM computer) People don't buy a 5200 because of it's 3D performance, but simply because it's the cheapest you can get. That's hardly something to be proud of.

NVidia does get a lot of sales from the FX-5200, but I don't think NVidia developed the FX series as a competitor to Intel's integrated solutions... :twisted:

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

For a second there I was confused, then I figured out that you're probably a different "guest" than the first guy! :lol:

16. Anonymous

Veteran

nVidia wouldn't have mass produced NV38 GPU's if it weren't cheaper/more profitable for them to do so they could have simply kept using NV35.

It's not just the 5200 series that does well saleswise either. The 5900, 5900SE/XT/LE especially have proven extremely popular in consumer land, as has the 5700 series.

17. Anonymous

Veteran

Ya, they're "extremely popular in consumer land", yet nVidia continues to lose market share.

18. Anonymous

Veteran

Only very slightly. And that will be corrected soon enough.

19. digitalwanderer

Legend

You've just exceeded my threshold for believability, "very slightly" is NOT the term I'd use to describe nVidia's loss over the last year and a half of the high-end space to ATi. :?

Suuuuure, you've got all that credibility built up with me so I reckon I should take your vague reference of future improvement to heart... :roll:

20. Anonymous

Veteran

Thats okay DigitalWanderer, you are the last person anyone would expect to believe positive talk about nVidia.