Java persistence frameworks...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Saem, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Saem

Veteran

I'm curious as to what persistence (and ORM) frameworks people have used in the Java world and what are their favourites and why?

2. DemoCoder

Veteran

Hibernate, plain and simple.

Recognize that persistence architectures have been abstracted now through the JPA (Java Persistence API), so you can model code to fit JPA, and then plugin a backend provider.

3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

In 1998-99 timeframe, before Hibernate and before Oracle bought em, I used TopLink. It was a bit rough around the edges and quirky. The support was nice, usually creating code-drops with fixes within a week of bug reporting. I don't know what Oracle did with the technology.

Java's earlier attempt at persistence, JDO is aborted or still-born. Nothing worth it came from it. However, the Java Persistence layer is supposedly nice. You can swap out back-end providers. I'm not sure if Hibernate provides for it or not.

Hibernate. I've used it over the course of the past 4 years. It's really slick and has a large community support base. It's grown quite a bit, it very powerful, and remains simple to use.

On the .NET side, NHibernate.

4. Saem

Veteran

Yeah, Hibernate seems to be the "big" one. I was wondering if people had tried something more "exotic".

I'm wanting to experiment with wicket + some persistence/orm + scala (scala-lang.org). Personally, I think scala is the most interesting language to come out in a really long time.

5. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Unfortunately, the compressed time-tables at work prevent most of us from being able to examine and evaluate most of the unknown or anything that's not the defacto leader. :sad: