Jack Tramiel passes away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahir2, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Tahir2

Tahir2 Itchy
    Veteran Subscriber

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/09/commodore-founder-jack-tramiel-dies/

2. deeFive

Newcomer

Rest in peace.

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Jack Tramiel is one of the founding fathers of the modern-era home computer revolution. Although the two companies he had the most impact on - Commodore and Atari - are now naught but aging old relics (brand names aside, that is), he still has a lasting presence through the minds of all those 80s and early 90s kids and youths he influenced with his products. The C64 and the Atari ST being the two most major ones, of course.

Rest in peace. You were great (even though I cursed your name in my teens as an Amiga fanboy... :lol:)

4. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Reading stories about Commodore, its rather astonishing that they created these cult machines despite having Tramiel at their top. Unlike Jobs he had no big vision about home-computers or anything, the only thing I attribute to him is cutting costs down insanely efficient with the C64 - basically by owning the whole production of most components.
    He had absolute no long term strategy however and seen computers as a one-off money maker, research in future projects (headed by engineers) was canned often and early. Then he killed or pissed of partners so much that Commodore barely could sell the Amiga anywhere in the US. His motto "Business is war" the other way around.

He had a huge impact anyway, no doubt.. - RIP.

5. green.pixel

Veteran

6. Dominik D

Regular

Sad news. C64 is what got me into computers.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Very sad. :( My first home computer was a VIC-20 and gads I loved that thing, I learned how to program basic on it when I was in school.

R.I.P., and thank you.

8. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

While I also sometimes wonder if JT helped or hampered these companies, the Atari XL800 and the Atari ST were my first computers and I loved them dearly, just as I've had a lot of fun with friends' and relatives' C64s (Elite, Beach Head II, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Night Mission Pinball, Sargon etc) and got an Amiga 600HD at the end of the 16bit generation, then the failed Atari Falcon with CD drive, until I finally sqitched to my first own 486 PC (pc phase would last until the Playstation 1 took off)

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

So... What have you been using since ~1995-ish, then? ;)

10. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Well, at least for games only consoles basically ;) (occasional PC fling aside - Warcraft 3, SimBin stuff ... ). Otherwise though of course, yes, a various amount of PCs. ;)