J Allard Interview: Xbox 360 has 3 times integer performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosh

Newcomer
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=354595

this interview was taken on E3 but posted on Computer and Video games today.

Code:
If you want some of the technical details, they kind of left out the fact that we had three times the integer performance and most games are about 80 percent integer and about 20 percent floating point. The fact that we both have 512 megs is one thing, they've split it down the middle they've said we've got 256 for graphics and 256 for the CPU, we say you can draw that line wherever you want so we give the power to the developer a little more.

We've also put DRAM on there and you mightn't think 10Mb isn't a big deal but it's on the same chip as the graphics card which gives you great access there. I think from a hardware point of view there's a very simple argument to say we've got more powerful hardware. Basically we've got the same amount of sand in both boxes, the same number of transistors in both boxes. But we've really tried to balance the hardware components and the system around the game designers.

Then you look at both of them and say they're really complicated machines, which one's more powerful? Well who's going to have the best software? Regardless of which configuration you might like better, taking full advantage of the hardware is going to be part of great software.

Re: J Allard Interview: Xbox 360 has 3 times integer perform

gosh said:

Code:
If you want some of the technical details, they kind of left out the fact that we had three times the integer performance and most games are about 80 percent integer and about 20 percent floating point. The fact that we both have 512 megs is one thing, they've split it down the middle they've said we've got 256 for graphics and 256 for the CPU, we say you can draw that line wherever you want so we give the power to the developer a little more.

We've also put DRAM on there and you mightn't think 10Mb isn't a big deal but it's on the same chip as the graphics card which gives you great access there. I think from a hardware point of view there's a very simple argument to say we've got more powerful hardware. Basically we've got the same amount of sand in both boxes, the same number of transistors in both boxes. But we've really tried to balance the hardware components and the system around the game designers.

Then you look at both of them and say they're really complicated machines, which one's more powerful? Well who's going to have the best software? Regardless of which configuration you might like better, taking full advantage of the hardware is going to be part of great software.

When allard talks like that it makes me think hes nothing more than a PR Pirate -- surely anyone with half a mind in technology can't take him seriously. It's junk and most of it is missing information when the information is important (such as: conveniently forgetting to mention how the RSX and Cell can dip into each others banks, so there isn't actually a hard line at all -- it also gives both chips two banks to dip into allowing for some ridiculous bandwidth if the developer splits up their data in some cases).

A lot of that info has been said before -- the major nelson comparison sure smells a lot like this interview.

And people get pissy at Kuturagi... Allard needs to stop talking about specs and start making stuff up about how PS3 is actually PS2.5 for reason x, y, and z -- sure would make a lot more sense; at least that would be an opinion instead of him spewing this stuff and calling it fact.

Bobbler said:
gosh said:

Code:

When allard talks like that it makes me think hes nothing more than a PR Pirate -- surely anyone with half a mind in technology can't take him seriously. It's junk and most of it is missing information when the information is important (such as: conveniently forgetting to mention how the RSX and Cell can dip into each others banks, so there isn't actually a hard line at all -- it also gives both chips two banks to dip into allowing for some ridiculous bandwidth if the developer splits up their data in some cases).

A lot of that info has been said before -- the major nelson comparison sure smells a lot like this interview.

And people get pissy at Kuturagi... Allard needs to stop talking about specs and start making stuff up about how PS3 is actually PS2.5 for reason x, y, and z -- sure would make a lot more sense; at least that would be an opinion instead of him spewing this stuff and calling it fact.

what you said only justifies what J A says because Xenos and Xenon are even more integrated than PS3, The GPU was made specifically for Xenon while Sony moved to Nvidia after failing to make a Cell based GPU. He never says PS3 is PS2.5 thats Kutaragi talking. He says both systems are equally powerful.

Honestly I cannot stand J. Allard's PR speak. I read what he writes and come away like "hunh?" I have an easier time getting information from one of Dave or Rockster's technical explanations... and I have no engineering background... :rolleyes:

blakjedi said:
Honestly I cannot stand J. Allard's PR speak. I read what he writes and come away like "hunh?" I have an easier time getting information from one of Dave or Rockster's technical explanations... and I have no engineering background... :rolleyes:

well J Allard was primarily a Coder before MS pushed him to Xbox heights, i think he would know alot more

You're taking Allard's word as fact?
If you want some of the technical details, they kind of left out the fact that we had three times the integer performance and most games are about 80 percent integer and about 20 percent floating point.
Do you really believe this is the case because he says so?

gosh said:
blakjedi said:

well J Allard was primarily a Coder before MS pushed him to Xbox heights, i think he would know alot more

Yep and certainly a lot more than armchair experts...

There's very little to decipher. Besides, the developers will have much better things to do with their time - like, say, make games - than to decipher some more PR crap.

gosh said:
blakjedi said:

I dont necessarily challenge his knowledge... I am challenging his ability to communicate clearly and effectively which I dont think he does. Plus he talks kinda smarmy like the boss character in the movie "Office Space."

gosh said:
what you said only justifies what J A says because Xenos and Xenon are even more integrated than PS3, The GPU was made specifically for Xenon while Sony moved to Nvidia after failing to make a Cell based GPU. He never says PS3 is PS2.5 thats Kutaragi talking. He says both systems are equally powerful.

Did you read what I said? I'm not quite sure what you are responding to -- the first two things you said don't really have anything to do with what I said.

I never said he said that either, I said he should stop talking like he currently is and start making up stuff about PS3 being PS2.5 (because it doesn't currently have a Live type system announced, etc, etc) because it would be a more clear line between fact and opinion -- he's lacing some psuedo facts with his opinions and spinning it as fact, which is evil. Meanwhile, Ken Kuturagi is just a bit bonkers -- he's talking about Xbox360 based on his opinions of the future of gaming, not about how his Cell has 2x the power of XCPU or other silliness like that (at least not in the ones I've seen).

For a company that says they don't care about fudgy specs, they sure do concentrate on them a lot.

In addition, this interview is old and doesn't really add anything new (it's from E3). It's the same interview that everyone got from Allard around E3 time -- nearly the same answers to nearly the same questions. :cry:

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
most games are about 80 percent integer and about 20 percent floating point.

:LOL:

That man is just funny.

Why is that funny? He's talking about a traditical CPU/GPU setup where the CPU doesn't do much in the form of TnL.

It's funny to think that someone would go into a game code and quantify "how much it is integer and how much it is floating point"...
and then come up with a 80%-20% figure.

All the while, knowing that he needs to find a way to downplay Cell superiority in floating point performance. So now floating point doesnt matter!! What next?!

Bobbler said:
gosh said:

Did you read what I said? I'm not quite sure what you are responding to -- the first two things you said don't really have anything to do with what I said.

I never said he said that either, I said he should stop talking like he currently is and start making up stuff about PS3 being PS2.5 (because it doesn't currently have a Live type system announced, etc, etc) because it would be a more clear line between fact and opinion -- he's lacing some psuedo facts with his opinions and spinning it as fact, which is evil. Meanwhile, Ken Kuturagi is just a bit bonkers -- he's talking about Xbox360 based on his opinions of the future of gaming, not about how his Cell has 2x the power of XCPU or other silliness like that (at least not in the ones I've seen).

For a company that says they don't care about fudgy specs, they sure do concentrate on them a lot.

In addition, this interview is old and doesn't really add anything new (it's from E3). It's the same interview that everyone got from Allard around E3 time -- nearly the same answers to nearly the same questions. :cry:

LOL MS wasnt even concentrating on the Specs until Sony put all thier intentions in comparing the systems by comparing the specs, J A is only responding to Sonys emphasis on Specs Specs Specs while MS emphasis on Developers Developers Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back