J. Allard Interview at Tom's Hardware

Allard's pushing HD as a key idenitfier to the market. Just as 3DO tried to come up with a progression from Audio to Video to 3DO, Allard's hoping HD will be seen as the next step from 2D to 3D to HD. If they reinforce that, a 3D console won't be seen as being as advanced as a 2D console.

Can't see that ever working though, and his constant repetition really grates!!

Shifty Geezer said:
Allard's pushing HD as a key idenitfier to the market. Just as 3DO tried to come up with a progression from Audio to Video to 3DO, Allard's hoping HD will be seen as the next step from 2D to 3D to HD. If they reinforce that, a 3D console won't be seen as being as advanced as a 2D console.

Can't see that ever working though, and his constant repetition really grates!!

Huh? Explain?

This gen the marketing term was the internet connectivity.
Next gen it'll be "HD ready".

Seeing as "High Definition. HD" is already the current big buzzword, it makes sense they'll focus their pre hype on that.

High definition sucks as a buzzword, they might as well just use "AST", "Awesome stuff technology", its blatant marketing and reflects very little of hat the consumer wants from the next gen IMO.

sytaylor said:
High definition sucks as a buzzword, they might as well just use "AST", "Awesome stuff technology", its blatant marketing and reflects very little of hat the consumer wants from the next gen IMO.
The consumer doesn't know what he/she wants, until somebody tells him.

What does the consumer know he wants next gen? He wants better and more.
HD is easily conceived as better and more, that makes it a good, easy buzzword.
Everybody knows what they (should) get with high definition, not many knew what they'd get, or do with "Live".

Did'nt Steve Jobs and Ando San officialy start the HD era some months ago at the Macworld keynote? Damn MS copycats! ;)

Fredi

People buying new tv sets look for HD-ready "badges" in those devices.
People buying recorders will look for "HD-ready" badges.
People buying a new console will look for the "HD-ready" badge.

"HD" is the thing you should need, if you don't want tech that is outdated in a year or two.

If Microsoft makes it absolutely clear to the consumer that xbox2 is badged "HD-ready" by taking the "HD" as their next big buzzword, it'll be one thing less in the consumer's mind to worry about... if their new device is going to be future proof.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think any of the main players would push HD as THE big next thing for gaming next gen. I mean, really. We already have some HD games now, it just seems like such an obvious and logical progression - something that should be taken for granted, not pushed to the fore of your marketing.

That said, Allard claims the "HD-era" is about more than displays - but God, it's such an annoying phrase, and to the regular joe, all they're gonna think about is HD displays. If it's pushed as one of, or the major selling point for Xenon, those already with HDTVs will ask "what's the big deal?" - since they'll already have HD games on their Xbox, and would simply expect it with Xbox2 - and those without will ask "so why should I buy one?".

It could also really inadvertantly hand ammunition to Sony, if their machine is more "HD" than Xbox 2 (with Bluray, versus regular DVD, possibly).

london-boy said:
Shifty Geezer said:
Allard's pushing HD as a key idenitfier to the market. Just as 3DO tried to come up with a progression from Audio to Video to 3DO

Huh? Explain?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A378173
The term '3DO' is said to have come about as Trip Hawkins dreamed of the impact of the system. He stated that it would be the next step in entertainment. The progression would go: 'audio... video... three-deo...'
Likewise I imagine the 2D -> 3D -> HD link deliberate. After all, what else follows 3D that can be perceived as a generational shift in technology as 3D was to 2D? 4D's not possible.

I'm guessing after HD, the next technology will be something daft like QD gaming. :rolleyes:

In the last xenon statements i am seeing three cores nowhere. Everything hints two.And J.Allard saying to put two cores in a die takes me to think that finally the cpu will be dual core. There is no sense the alpha kit had three cores and the alpha kit 2 two cores. Why are developers going to program with two cores if the final silicon will have three ? ( above all if with the alpha kit 1 they already had three cores to work with ).

Back