iWatch

zed

Legend
I couldnt see a thread so I will start one, only to officially say in future years
he he (I told you so)
they really went and done it

My wife could be interested in this for fitness reasons. Otherwise though, I'm not sure there's a point.

My wife could be interested in this for fitness reasons. Otherwise though, I'm not sure there's a point.

There are fitness bands for less than half the price and 7x longer battery life with heart rate monitor and apps that build nice graphics for your exercise.
https://www.fitbit.com/chargehr

Getting a watch that lasts for no more than one day is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Yep, we're currently not very enthusiastic about this. I'd sooner wear something that has my whole iphone taped to my wrist (I know these things exist) with something else that measures my vitals.

Well, while not personally interested, this might make a big splash on the wereables market. The product seems lame, but who knows, many people eat up every iStuff that comes out these days.

It doesn't have a gps.

If you want something fitness related the best on the market are the fit bits and the Microsoft band is surprisingly good and the sdk is getting released soon so it could end up best on the market. Its also $150 bucks cheaper , has gps and uv sensors.

I think apples first watch is a dud functionality wise. I'm sure it will sell well regardless though.

It doesn't have a gps.
Your phone does though. Is it really so difficult to bring it along with you, don't most people do that anyway?

and the Microsoft band is surprisingly good and the sdk is getting released soon so it could end up best on the market.
Yeah, because even microsoft's gotta have some fans still in this day and age. :)

Its also $150 bucks cheaper , has gps and uv sensors.
It's also made of plastic, doesn't have high-res color display, doesn't run apps, doesn't support NFC payments, doesn't have easily replaceable bands and a multitude of other things the Watch does.

UV sensor btw, what for? It'll be defeated by your sleeve for chrissakes.

Your phone does though. Is it really so difficult to bring it along with you, don't most people do that anyway?

Yeah, because even microsoft's gotta have some fans still in this day and age. :)

It's also made of plastic, doesn't have high-res color display, doesn't run apps, doesn't support NFC payments, doesn't have easily replaceable bands and a multitude of other things the Watch does.

UV sensor btw, what for? It'll be defeated by your sleeve for chrissakes.

1) I rather not always have my phone on me. I have a note 3 its not exactly small so running or jogging with it is annoying.

2) the band is consistently sold out . Its the most fully featured band on the market currently

3)I rather not burn in the sun. I've gotten sun poisoning before its not fun.

Sorry apple watch (I honestly thought it was called iWatch my bad) Yeah Im doubting we will see sales figures any time soon at least officially and I wouldnt be surprised if we see a pricedrop as well.

What it should of been
No screen i.e. just a normal watchface or some screen but one that lasts months on a charge (perhaps diff tech epaper - no color) 18hrs is a gamebreaker
Waterproof
has to be coupled to the iphone (all cpu etc stuff is done on the phone)

so what does this iwatch do?
you speak to it and it speaks back eg 'new txt message from jimi' (anything complicated you've gotta pull out your phone)
- you can answer calls on it, use it to open doors, pay things etc

PROS
-battery life far superior
-looks far better than the ugly thing they have made now, it is a fashion statement
-waterproof
-not obsolete in a year

A decent 10" or larger e-ink tablet, for reading and basic web browsing with a month of battery life, would be more useful and probably have more sales than this watch.

A decent 10" or larger e-ink tablet, for reading and basic web browsing with a month of battery life, would be more useful and probably have more sales than this watch.
I don't understand. What's a 10" e-ink tablet have to do with a watch? I have a kindle - adore it - and I'll never buy a Watch. But how are these two products related?

I don't understand. What's a 10" e-ink tablet have to do with a watch? I have a kindle - adore it - and I'll never buy a Watch. But how are these two products related?

I'm just saying that this watch sucks while suggesting an alternate iGadget that would suck less and would probably sell more.

is that an apple, is that a watch? its an apple watch

i wonder can you eat it though? I mean, like an apple.

Sorry apple watch (I honestly thought it was called iWatch my bad) Yeah Im doubting we will see sales figures any time soon at least officially and I wouldnt be surprised if we see a pricedrop as well.

What it should of been
No screen i.e. just a normal watchface or some screen but one that lasts months on a charge (perhaps diff tech epaper - no color) 18hrs is a gamebreaker
Waterproof
has to be coupled to the iphone (all cpu etc stuff is done on the phone)

so what does this iwatch do?
you speak to it and it speaks back eg 'new txt message from jimi' (anything complicated you've gotta pull out your phone)
- you can answer calls on it, use it to open doors, pay things etc

PROS
-battery life far superior
-looks far better than the ugly thing they have made now, it is a fashion statement
-waterproof
-not obsolete in a year

So you want the new pebble ? https://www.kickstarter.com/project...some-smartwatch-no-compromises?ref=nav_search

color e ink , 7 days of battery life

What is the point of smartwatches?
What can they do better than smartphones?
The only thing I can think of right now is automatically calling an ambulance if your heart stops beating, but even that has its problems.

It certainly seems to be a device looking for a market. In particular, the expected battery life is just preposterously low for a watch. I'd say 48 hours ought to be the absolute minimum for something wearable such as this.

Perhaps Apple Watch 2 will resolve this issue whether by improved battery tech, improved display tech, an improved IC or a combination of all three?

Back