ivy bridge and opencl support

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by camilus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. camilus

Newcomer

Hi,

I need to write a program utilizing OpenCL as part of a course at my University. Now I have a desktop pc with an ATI Radeon 5770 which I know works fine with OpenCL. I also have a laptop with an Intel i3-3110m with integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. This also supposedly supports OpenCL and all the samples I've tried compiled and ran fine. Since I'd like to get rid of the desktop I was wondering if there are any specific problems with OpenCL on the HD 4000 or will it run ok (other than running slower)?

Thanks!

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I'm really not competent enough to answer that question properly for you, but I did notice that intel released a new driver for the HD4000 the other week, with improved OpenCL support as I recall. You probably want to install it, if you haven't done so already.

Good luck! :)

3. Priyadarshi

Newcomer

As long as you are using the HD 4000 to drive your display too, it should show up as an OpenCL device.

4. moozoo

Newcomer

From the latest Intel Opencl release notes
    "Support in dual adapter mode on Windows* 8: enables OpenCL workloads to be accelerated on Intel HD Graphics when the device is not directly connected to a display and fully enabled running Intel driver."

I assume that if you run windows 8 you don't need to attach a monitor to the HD4000.

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Not having a monitor connected should mean a slight speed boost, as there will be less memory contention (no video scanout traffic.)

6. camilus

Newcomer

It shows as an opencl device and runs opencl programs just fine, so I guess I'm good?

7. Priyadarshi

Newcomer

I am running Windows 8 with i5-3570K and a Radeon 7970. The problem is that I can't even install Intel's GFX driver along with the Radeon driver. Hence only the CPU is visible when using Intel's OpenCL platform. I don't want to uninstall my Radeon for obvious reasons ;)

So practically, it is not possible to use HD4000 as an OpenCL device in a typical desktop environment.

8. camilus

Newcomer

That's not going to be a problem for me, since I only have the HD 4000 (laptop and all).

9. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Maybe you can with some LucidLogix software.
    But still, that situation is a bit ridiculous.

10. Osamar

Newcomer

Have you tried the this order. Nothing -> Intel GFX driver (without graphic card pluged) -> plug Radeon card -> Radeon driver

11. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

You might need a VGA dongle that fakes a monitor being connected to the integrated graphics.
    There's also the Z68/Z77 vs H and B chipsets situation but that was specifically about enabling Quicksync I think. And then does your motherboard come with "Lucid" stuff, hardware or purely software, and can you get the software separately? And then do the ivy bridge Celeron and Pentium support OpenCL? (I think they should, the GPU proper part of the graphics is the same than HD 2500 I think).

With all those little complexities you might know or not know whether your piece of code will run :oops:

/edit : ah yes, with Windows 8 and if we can believe what Intel said, then it should work when taking the Radeon out first as Osamar proposes (possibly even by connecting the monitor to the Intel graphics, so that when you boot the Intel graphics is the main one, hopefully)

#11 Blazkowicz, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  12. moozoo

Newcomer

I have windows 8 64bit , a z87 with a i7-4770 and a amd HD 7770.
    My monitor has two hdmi inputs. I connect the motherboard hdmi and the HD 7770 hdmi to the monitor at the same time.
    The bios is set to make the hd7770 the first graphics card.
    I have both intel and amd drivers install and both appear in the device manager.

With the HD 7770 has the primary display:
    If I extend the desktop to the HD 4600 ( i.e. intel) the intel control panel magically appears in the system tray and works. Opencl also reports two devices under the intel platform (CPU and gpu) and both amd devices are available.
    If I don't extend the desktop the intel opencl only has the CPU device.

With the HD 4600 has the primary display both intel devices and both amd devices are present.

All of this dynamically changes as I change primary desktop and extend/ un extend the desktop. Which suggest to me that its by design.