I've come to realize

weaksauce

Regular
That the voice in your head is not your thoughts and just a plain fantasy. I'll prove it:

Think of (fantasize) two people talking to eachother. See and hear them. Take away one person, so there's only one talking, and see and hear him. Then take away the picture, what do you have left? And also you might think that the voice you're fantasizing and think is your thoughts is *your* voice, but you can have any voice of any person you want. It's funny to think with Arnies voice :p

I think it's very unnessesary and also makes you think a lot slower and less when you have to say the thoughts in your head all the time. Because you already know what you are going to "think" (say in your head) when you do it. You are reapeating your thoughts, and the repetition is alot slower and quite unnessecary and requires more effort.

can you get rid of this and just know your thoughts? Supposodely, when you speed read, you just see a lot of text in a short time and get meaning of the content without "saying" the words to yourself in your head. If anyone does this, how do you think?:smile:

Are you trying to say that you don't want to be conscious of the thought process and just "know" the outcome immediately? I always regarded thought as an active process - not just pre-determined stuff that you retrieve when you "think".

Are you trying to say that you don't want to be conscious of the thought process and just "know" the outcome immediately? I always regarded thought as an active process - not just pre-determined stuff that you retrieve when you "think".

I don't think it's any thought process when you babble in your mind, I think you're just putting what you already know and have thought out in words and you're fantasizing constantly when doing so. I think that just having the understanding and maybe even visualizing it would be much more effective than putting it in words all the time.

What about thought experiments or doing multiplication sums in your head? You are using several parts of the brain to store bits of data and retrieve when needed to forward your thoughts or complete the multiplication.. e.g:

7*11 = 77

I would calculate in my head by doing this:
7*10=70
1x7 remaining
Add 7 to 70
Answer = 77

That is just an example but this is generally how I do a lot of more complex addition, subtraction type maths in my head.

Any thoughts? :cool:

Saying "eleven times seven" in your head does not make any calculation, you're just saying them to keep them in mind, supposodely.

Or as you did, 7 times 10. Maybe you remembered that 7x10 is 70, or it's easy to see. But when you got it, you didn't get it because you calculated anything by saying it in your head, you made the calculation by thinking "real thoughts", and then you said what you had already calculated and understood "equals seventy), but you didn't have to, you already knew it, you just repeated it when you said it.

The thing is, I can't keep my mind shut and hold numbers, or count seconds. But then I'm thinking, it may not be because you're not babbling them in your head, but because when you try to silence your mind, what you do is that you don't get rid of the fantasy, you're just fantasizing silence instead.

Back