I've been unliky with my last purchase...

liolio

Aquoiboniste
Legend
Hello again.
I've just buy a new computer.
X2 3800+
2Go PC6400 (800Mhz)
And an ASUS mobo based on a ATI/AMD 690 chipset (with IGP)

From scratch I've to face problem :
At first the SATA HDD wasn't recognized...
Then I've encounter problems to enter the bios set up (freeze)

At some point it works (nb I don't know why)

Then I've to face some unwanted reboot... I check all the wire (in and outside the box) everything is fine.

Then i installed neverwinternight and i had to face system errors like IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc.
After that I had to reinstall the game (there were no longer text....)
After some others reinstall I found out that the game messed with my IGP
ie the game detected 1024MB of VRAM instead of 128MB, I corrected the config.ini file and it works.
I still had some unwanted reboot (for some reasons less) so I thank that the RAM could have been fucked up, so I underclock the RAM from 800MHz to 667MHz.
I gained more stability, and in a few days very few reboots...

Since yesteday I face a lot of system errors... again...
Like If you've installed new hardware or software ... bla bla... (NB I didn't isntall anything...).

So I need help, I've waited for this computer for 2 weeks, I need it for my job research badly... So if I send it back to the mag without having found what's wrong I guess I will have to wait ... quiet some time.

So far I think that the problem is or RAm related or chipset related.
So could some of you give advices about what kind of tests i should run to find
out where is the bug.
I need free software i've thunk about memtest, what do you think about it?
I've no clue for the chipset...
Is there some softwares that would run under windows and taht would test system stability and give clues anout what's wrong.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT sorry I've red my post more than one time to be sure that I haven't made too many english mistakes but I've forgotten to look twice at the title, so if a mod could change unliky to unlucky...
I should be grateful... sorry again

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try memtest86+ to check your memory for example.

As I recall you need to make a bootable floppy/CDRW/flash stick and run it after a system restart or else it won't be effective (since it can't test memory in use).

I believe all the stuff needed for that is included in the file you download.
Peace.

Sounds like ram or PSU. Can you post a link to the ram you have? It could be the motherboards voltage setting for the memory is set to low. The default voltage setting should be 1.8V and if the memory wants 1.9V or up, that could cause problems. It could be bad memory too. I would get in BIOS and up the memory voltage to 1.9V to start and then run memtest86+ and if you have errors then go back to BIOS and raise the memory voltage up another .1V+. Keep doing this bus don't go above 2.2V. If you still get errors at 2.2V then it has to be bad memory and you need to RMA it.

If you bought the parts in retail shops, I would simply go back and have them replace the motherboard and memory. If you're nice about it, they'll most likely do so. And I agree that you should check out the PSU as well. If you have a cheap one, you might want to trade it for a better one, from a good brand.

I've found something interesting, some people have encouter the same problem due to a modem router (a freebox for non french people free is an internet access provider) when it's connected via usb.
I disconnected this afternoon around 5pm then I let run a virus scan (so i've to see the result if the computer reboot ==> no results) and I left my house for do so sport with a friend.

Back, when I checked the computer ran nice, and I've been playing neverwinter night till now and the computer has run fine.

I just reconnect the box to see responses.
Between thank for all the responses ;)
I will do a memcheck and have a look in the bios (I'm not sure that I have acces to these parameters but I will search). More I will buy a ethernet wire (I know it's a shame that I don't have one)

For the PSU it's a LC Power 420Watts silent I would be surprised as when I bought it I took something slightly oversized for my needs.
I don't think that X2 3800 + IGP + 2Go + one HDD + one burner put it in pain.
But I've no clue about the reliability of this brand.

More to come ( in fact I hope not ...)

Viruses won't have anything to do with your system freezing up in CMOS setup.

As for accessing your broadband connection via USB - why? You're just asking for trouble (or induced latency at the very least).

Viruses won't have anything to do with your system freezing up in CMOS setup.

As for accessing your broadband connection via USB - why? You're just asking for trouble (or induced latency at the very least).

Lots of broadband providors supply USB adapters because they're cheap. You usually have to ask for a Ethernet modem instead with many.

Lots of broadband providors supply USB adapters because they're cheap. You usually have to ask for a Ethernet modem instead with many.

Often they only supply one cable or the other, but very few modems are USB-only. I think when given the choice the average user goes with USB because they're more familiar with it and probably (wrongly) even think it's faster.

Back