"I've been at this longer than he has." Lawyer Jack Thompson strikes hornet's nest.

Guden Oden

Legend
I just can't stop laughing reading the wikipedia page on this guy. Especially the section dealing with him and Penny Arcade, where the article states:
According to [31], as of the 20th of October, The Florida Bar Association has begun an investigation into thousands of complaints lodged by Penny-arcade readers and other sources regarding the actions of Jack Thompson in both online and television fora. A representative of the Florida Bar Association has acknowledged that they have received several thousand complaints from viewers and are investigating possible disciplinary action again Jack Thompson whom has already been reprimanded by the FBA in 1998.
(My emphasis.)

It's easy to believe this guy simply didn't understand what kind of beast he was taking on, once he started trying to intimidate these online personalities with his bigshot lawyer antics... Rofl. What's the chance he'll actually manage to get himself disbarred?

I hope nobody misses the fact that the PA boys stepped up and made the $10k charity donation that Thompson punked out on when several folks went out and actually made Thompson's game as text adventures.

lol. seabass!

uhm i think alot more lawyers should get muzzled. to bad they make a living doing this. and we keep electing them to government office.

you can't quantify infinity, but you sure can manipulate it to benefit you at certain times. specially with all the 'people' who pass as peers.

I've been keeping up with the entire thing fairly well, the funniest I think was what VGCats did to Yack.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Looks like his case is being thrown out and other lawyers are asking him to be disbarred - which is looking more and more likely.
I mean... before that... you know, what's the case? :oops:

london-boy said:
Oh, he's one of the main barracudas feeding off the whole "violent video games are causing the destruction of western society!" thing. This story was about Thompson pledging $10k to any game developer that basically made a game about attacking a game making company and torturing all the employees to death in a gruesome fashion.

Some modders made a game of it for him, and he reneged on his pledge. He claimed it wasn't a real game company that made it or something, so Penny Arcade stepped up and donated the money he pledged. (I think the money went to charity, not too sure...I was laughing too hard at Gabe's antics. ;) )

He's an asshole. He's been blaming games for society's problems and making money off it, now he's backed himself into a corner and it's fun watching him rant and squirm. :devilish:

EDITED BITS: I guess the case he may get disbarred over is different, this is from the article:

Thompson is representing the families of two police officers and a dispatcher who were murdered by 18 year old Devin Moore in June 2003. In a lawsuit filed against Sony, Take-Two, Rockstar, Wal-Mart and GameStop, Thompson claims that Grand Theft Auto trained Moore to become a killer.
But the bit I wrote is still what brought Penny Arcade into it.

london-boy said:
Kid (Devon Moore) in Alabama stole a car. Kid was arrested, had no criminal background. Kid took the pistol of the police officer processing him, killed him, and killed two others (another officer and a 911 dispatcher) before stealing a police cruiser to escape. The lawsuit is based on two things. First, he said when he was arrested after escaping, "Life is like a video game--you have to die sometime." Second, he played GTA games a lot.

The Baron said:
Kid (Devon Moore) in Alabama stole a car. Kid was arrested, had no criminal background. Kid took the pistol of the police officer processing him, killed him, and killed two others (another officer and a 911 dispatcher) before stealing a police cruiser to escape. The lawsuit is based on two things. First, he said when he was arrested after escaping, "Life is like a video game--you have to die sometime." Second, he played GTA games a lot.
Dammit. If only he had played Final Fantasy more, he could have used Fire3. No bullets wasted.

Back