It's official: Halo 3 and Killzone unvielings will go head to head same day. Ownage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbiter

Newcomer
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143426

"Kotaku & PS3 Fanboy (and prob most others) have received invites to what looks to be the unveiling of Killzone 2 just one hour after the Microsoft E3 Keynote presentation starts on July 10th, 8:30pm."

killzoneinvite.JPG

killzonevite.jpg

convite.jpg

"The E3 Killzone 2 Invite
I just received a very swank looking black envelope (it even had my name and Kotaku written in silver foil) in the mail. Inside was this very stark invitation. On the back? A time, date and a location during E3 and the Playstation logo. Obviously, this has got to be for Killzone PS3, but what is it? It's got to be a hands-on for Killzone PS3? Right? I mean SCEA did already say at Gamer's Day that Killzone for the PS3 would be shown at this year's E3. Oh, and it's two and a half hours long. Brian Crecente"

http://kotaku.com/gaming/e307/the-e3-killzone-2-invite-272022.php

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/06/25/killzone-will-be-shown-at-invite-only-pre-e3-event/

"It's schedule to last a two & and half hours but please not that this doesn't represent the length of the actual presentation or whatever form this event will take. In any case, it seems like Sony are feeling pretty confident about what they have and it seems like it could be their biggest software reveal of the show."

--------------------------------------

Looks like it's do or die. We've no idea what Halo 3 (single player) will look like. We have no idea what Killzone will look like. Yet both are being unvieled on the same day (Tuesday July 10).

Finally all the hype/ ridicule will be settled. :devilish:

Sony is screwed, sorry to tell you. The problem here is that everyone expects/has been lead to believe that Killzone 2 is going to look amazing. Halo 3 on the on the other hand... is a Halo game. Neither 1 nor 2 were near the peak of what Xbox could deliver in visual quality, Halo 3 is suppose to look good, not "unheard of visuals" level. Unless KZ2 comes out with some amazing gameplay mechanic or some such then well.. my first three words stand.

Sony is screwed, sorry to tell you. The problem here is that everyone expects/has been lead to believe that Killzone 2 is going to look amazing. Halo 3 on the on the other hand... is a Halo game. Neither 1 nor 2 were near the peak of what Xbox could deliver in visual quality, Halo 3 is suppose to look good, not "unheard of visuals" level. Unless KZ2 comes out with some amazing gameplay mechanic or some such then well.. my first three words stand.

Sorry, that goes both ways. If Halo 3 can’t match Gears visually…then there's going to be lots of ----->:devilish: and ----->:cry:

Sorry, that goes both ways. If Halo 3 can’t match Gears visually…then there's going to be lots of ----->:devilish: and ----->:cry:

Seriously doubt it. I don't know a single person who bought the first two Halo games based on visuals, I do however know a ton who bought Gears based on that.

Seriously doubt it. I don't know a single person who bought the first two Halo games based on visuals, I do however know a ton who bought Gears based on that.

Are you kidding?! :LOL:

The first Halo game was about eye candy…hell Microsoft bought the whole damn company for that reason. Halo was supposed to best looking PC game (at that time) and was stated to bring PC graphic cards to there knees (at that time).

Are you kidding?! :LOL:

The first Halo game was about eye candy…hell Microsoft bought the whole damn company for that reason. Halo was supposed to bring PC graphic cards to there knees (at that time).

Not I'm not, I guess we live in vastly different parts of the universe. The pretty visuals must have propelled people to play for hours (yet it was ugly, even at release) in the mutliplayer and get in large LANs for tournaments. You know, stuff that typically doesn't' happen with games based solely on eye candy. Frankly, the idea that Microsoft is worried at all about Killzone 2 being visually superior to Halo 3 is a real joke. Halo 1 and Halo 2 are proven titles that were both extremely successful, the first Killzone... not so much. Someone brought it up in another thread, that if it wasn't for the infamous E3 video KZ2 would be just another game. Halo 3 has to deliver on enhancing the gameplay of its predecessors. Where as Killzone 2 must: Look extremely good, play extremely good, and deliver on a bunch of fanboy hyped bullshit. For the VAST majority of what many gamers will get out of Halo 3 we've already seen and played! I'm sorry, but Sony can not "win" this show down. They can offer a great game possibly (maybe wonderful) but at the end of the day it will not be what it was hyped up to be, which has been the death of many great games before it.

Visuals are important to build up the hype. We're still in the hardcore gamer/enthusiast so just like Gears a big draw for people will be visuals. I certainly expect the Halo3 single player visuals to exceed that of the multiplayer greatly. If not, they'll get a lashing in reviews and rightfully so.

Microsoft already showed a Halo 3 trailer at E3 2006 which they claimed realtime, why not just expect something in line with that? BTW, the thread title says head to head but I've not heard whether Halo 3 will be shown at E3 or not.

it sounds like killzone is going to be behind closed doors (150 invites). Hope that since they're inviting a lot of press they let them take videos of the gameplay.

Seriously though, does it really matter what Halo 3 or Killzone 2 look like at this point in the generation? We are not even 2 years in and somehow the graphics of these 2 games represent some sort of crossroads? The reality is that whatever these games look like, there will be subjectively better looking games on both platforms within 12 months of their release, probably less.

I think more important at this point is some innovation and something a little different. Thats what Killzone needs to be for Sony, not just a really pretty shooter. While Halo 3 already has the hype and the fanbase i do expect some unexpected twists from the game. The hints of large scale battles and 4 player coop sound like they could provide some interesting options, i think it still needs even more than that to get the gameing press excited at this point (especially after the beta).

Visuals are important to build up the hype. We're still in the hardcore gamer/enthusiast so just like Gears a big draw for people will be visuals. I certainly expect the Halo3 single player visuals to exceed that of the multiplayer greatly. If not, they'll get a lashing in reviews and rightfully so.

the exact same thing can be said about killzone vs resistance. I actually expect both to show some heavily scripted segments, more so Killzone 2. I agree with skrying in that Killzone 2 is at a real disadvantage though as far as what the outcome will be. Killzone 2 has to live up to CGI, which it cannot do entirely, Halo 3 on the otherhand, well everyone is already pretty familiar with what that is and it can only surprise/improve. Most of the true fans are actually more excited about where the story is going more so then the graphics as well in my opinion. As long as it doesnt look bad, which it doesnt, then i think the backlash from a poor graphical showcase wouldnt be nearly as bad as what a poor Killzone 2 can do.

I also dont see Killzone 2 being near as big a system seller as Halo 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
SCEA Santa Monica

Looks like Santa Monica on the invite. Hmm... I wonder where this takes place... Certainly 150 people wouldn't fit in the SCEA office there....

sony is screwed? since when?
whoever uploads the first killzone2 gameplay video/pic, that person will become a instant hero.

I'm just glad E3 has been resurrected.

Because I fought those predictions of "E3 is over" for months :)

Well, it's easy enough to see, the message board kiddies cannot resist to build the hype, and the "new E3" naysayers have been owned. I mean it's 15 days to go, and hype is already ratcheted very high. E3 may not be what it used to be, but it's a start. The fact is if you put up a event, and Sony (or whoever) says "we'll go!" then Microsoft (or whoever) has to say "We'll do it big too then!" or they'll simply be left out.

I think it's a bit hard to try and directly compare Halo with KZ. Their art styles and core foundations are so different. To me Halo places more emphasis on story, vehicles, subtle gameplay elements, physics and multiplayer where as KZ seems to be more over the top action with exciting scripted events and extremely realistic and moody visuals. I know with Halo being Microsoft's top franchise, everyone wants to find the title which will supplant it. But you'll never convince hardcore Halo fans of anything. Which I feel limits Bungie in some ways, because they can't alienate that core fan base with a different Halo experience. IMO, it will be very difficult for them to get consideration, particularly with the gaming press, as being new and fresh because of that. It will take a new IP for them.

Personally, I'm more interested to see whether COD4 or KZ2 ends up providing the better gaming experience. I feel they have much more in common (my assumption based on their previous iterations) with each other in terms of design goals and implementation. Both could be great. COD4 doesn't have the crazy hype to live up to, but if the trailer is anything to go by, KZ2 may elevate that particular game type to new levels.

Where has it been announced that Halo 3 is showing up. Thread title is misleading.

Why wouldnt it? It was there in 2006, its going to launch two months after this years E3. Of course microsoft will milk it, no brainer, plus its the best chance at large media exposure before release. Again this is a game thats a system seller. If its not there that would be extremely bizarre.

Why wouldnt it? It was there in 2006, its going to launch two months after this years E3. Of course microsoft will milk it, no brainer, plus its the best chance at large media exposure before release. Again this is a game thats a system seller. If its not there that would be extremely bizarre.

That wasn't the point of my post. ;) "It's official: Halo 3 ..." There's nothing official regarding Halo 3, no matter the high likelihood. This is a versus thread when the linked info speculates about Killzone only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back