It was Inevitable...Free Gameboy Player w/ GCN Purchase

Goldni

Regular
http://pocket.ign.com/articles/403/403068p1.html

Smart move Nintendo. This is thier answer to the price cut of MS and Sony. I'd have personally just lowered the GCN price $20.00 but this should be pretty effective. Especially if there is one of those Pokemon games released around June 23rd. The boot disc idea was smart. Now if NOA marketing would just run ads with this thing it'd do the GCN some good as Zelda has worn off the GCN sales now.

Crap just thought of something. This will include the free game deal and the demo disk too. not bad for $149.00. This adds alot of games to the Cube library too. I'd take 4 player Advance Wars on my 50" over XBL anyday :LOL:

I was gonna get the GB player anyway, but this is very cool for those who don't have a GC yet. Starting June 23rd, GC will play the GB, GBC, GBA and GC library. I'd say this is a very smart move by Nintendo.

Glad to see Nintendo getting competitive! But does this kill the GBA-GC connectivity? You'll still need a GBA to play FF:CC (as, from what I understand, it is the sole controller).

They said the translation in that interview got messed up. You DO NOT need the GBA in FFCC. In multiplayer you should use it because it displays your personal info, items, stats, etc.. but if you dont the GCN assigns items for you instead of using the GBA for item managment.

Zurich,
it's not the same as the GBA/GCN connectivity as the GCN has to have the boot disk to play the GBAP..so you can only be playing the GBAP and not both. I do love the idea for disks that can update GBA games and such.

clem64 said:
I was gonna get the GB player anyway, but this is very cool for those who don't have a GC yet. Starting June 23rd, GC will play the GB, GBC, GBA and GC library. I'd say this is a very smart move by Nintendo.

Think of the possibilities: GB Double Dragon on a 36' widescreen tv. :LOL:

So where do Sony and Nintendo stand now on total number of possible game titles that can be played on their respective systems? Another factor in my mind is the fact that N is basically "rereleasing" a number of SNES games onto the GBA. If they decide to undertake a massive porting excercise and bring all of the SNES titles to the GBA they could really extend the nostalgia gaming motif that seems to permeate today's gaming atmostphere. (wow, that was a mouthful)

Not interested, specially when it comes to such outdated software filed with either rehashes of SNES games, or "sequels" that can´t reach the visual, audio and control quality of earlier games. No thanks.

Almasy said:
Not interested, specially when it comes to such outdated software filed with either rehashes of SNES games, or "sequels" that can´t reach the visual, audio and control quality of earlier games. No thanks.

That's a hell of a biased view - there are plenty of good non-Remake and non-Crappy GBA games now.

Goldni said:
http://pocket.ign.com/articles/403/403068p1.html

Smart move Nintendo. This is thier answer to the price cut of MS and Sony. I'd have personally just lowered the GCN price $20.00 but this should be pretty effective. Especially if there is one of those Pokemon games released around June 23rd. The boot disc idea was smart. Now if NOA marketing would just run ads with this thing it'd do the GCN some good as Zelda has worn off the GCN sales now.

They'd have been better off packaging GC/GBA together as I mentioned in other thread, by lowering price to value of moneyback promotion they have for GBA SP. That way price cut on GC would be absorbed by buying 2 consoles rather than one. Recoup difference on software for both afterwards. As for software these prices could do with some devaluation as well. Like I said software/hardware promotions only good for short-term fix. 2 consoles for near price of one would keep punters interested far longer when they invest in new software for either. Hopefully upcoming titles will highlight connectivity more in future. But Nintendo ain't got much time left to capitalize on those benefits. Success in marketing either console may depend on the other. Especially now when Sony have eyes on handheld console market. Better for Nintendo to set the value now than wait for Sony to declare their hand on day of release.

I agree with Overlord. People will get a GC/GBAPlayer system.. may perhaps enjoy the GBA games, but will likely be unmotivated to purchase an additional GBA (as their GC can already play said games), thus negating all the link-up effort.

Almasy said:

Guess u wont be buying most of sonys line up them either .

Back