Is Vista design from the ground up for Multithreaded apps like BeOS?

skilzygw

Newcomer
Wondering if it idesign for multicpu systems from the ground up woth no legacy crap. Much like BeOS was.

All i hear now is how bad xp is at handling the scheduler and splitting threads etc...

Thanks.

Windows NT core supported SMP system from day one. It supported thread before most UNIX did. Windows XP may not has the perfect scheduler (no one has), but it's not that bad.

Thanks for the reply.

I know it supported SMP. But the question is whether it was created to flourish in or just support smp.

BeOS was made for multithreading from the groundup.

Is that just a question of the scheduler and that's all?

Windows NT was designed for server applications, so you can say it's designed for SMP from ground up. However, for various reasons it does not scale very well (at least beyond 4 CPUs), but it should be fine for two or four cores works.

Ahhh...BeOS...

It could have been so great, if they just managed to gain any market share. The best OS yet, UI-wise.

In about 2 hours I will be saying goodbye to windows XP and hello again to BeOS Zeta version. I have the dvd boxed copy in my grubby hands and it is waiting to be installed.

I will say goodbye to drivers, compatibility, games .......hmmmm maybe I haven't thought this through.

GoodBye cruel windows world....I hardly new ye.

skilzygw said:
In about 2 hours I will be saying goodbye to windows XP and hello again to BeOS Zeta version. I have the dvd boxed copy in my grubby hands and it is waiting to be installed.

I will say goodbye to drivers, compatibility, games .......hmmmm maybe I haven't thought this through.

ahh don't worry about it...you learn to adapt and you rise from the ashes a new man. I installed Gentoo (at level 1..basically compiling the kernel)....that made me want to fall of the wagon...but its worth it!

One thing Im definately not going to miss is having to run an anti virus program. And hopefully no spyware programs either.

pcchen said:
Windows NT core supported SMP system from day one. It supported thread before most UNIX did. Windows XP may not has the perfect scheduler (no one has), but it's not that bad.

I suppose it kind of depends what you mean by "most unix". There were plenty of SMP unix systems before NT came out in 1993, but I suppose the only really major one that is left is solaris, which had SMP support in 1992. If you mean a standard threading model like posix, I agree with you. That didn't happen until later on.

Nite_Hawk

skilzygw said:

What's BeOS Zeta??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Nite_Hawk said:
If you mean a standard threading model like posix, I agree with you. That didn't happen until later on.

Yes, I said "supported thread."

Of course, there are many different new things happening which may need modifications in the scheduler. Multi-threading CPU is one example. K8-style ccNUMA is another one. Current dual-core CPUs are actually not unlike a normal dual CPU system, because they don't share their L2 cache. However, when share-cache multi-core CPUs appear, they probably need a different scheduling scheme.

ZETA is made by yellowtab.

About yellowTAB GmbH

yellowTAB is the developer of the ZETA operating system. The aim is to produce a fast and full-featured operating system. Originally developed by Be, Inc. in the 1990s ZETA makes the most of modern hardware particularly for audio and video applications.

yellowTAB doesn't intend to compete with Microsoft but offers an alternative for those wanting to run a second operating system. ZETA is the ideal alternative to MS Windows being easy to use and powerful and we believe there is considerable demand for it.

As well as developing and selling the ZETA operating system, yellowTAB is working with partners around the world to develop solutions based on ZETA from audio and video editing.

We are constantly looking to expand our international distribution network.

thats from their website.
http://www.yellowtab.com/

Basically they've taken BEOS and added support for newest hardware.

I just installed BeOS max v3 from bebits. Wow its awesome. It's so much fun to play with something new(well old but new to me)

The thing boots like in 15seconds, simply awesome. Im poking around all the menus and built in apps. Firefox came preinstalled.

Pretty sweet.

skilzygw said:
I just installed BeOS max v3 from bebits. Wow its awesome. It's so much fun to play with something new(well old but new to me)

The thing boots like in 15seconds, simply awesome. Im poking around all the menus and built in apps. Firefox came preinstalled.

Pretty sweet.

Link? :smile:

Used it for two years, it's a real pain to use windows (any version) now.
It's simply unresponsive, slow, crawling doing I/O operations, user unfriendly, not easy to setup compared to the BeOS.
That said the BeOS doesn't have half the drivers and programs, but all it does, it does it well. (You would want BeOS 5.1d0 aka "Dano" with BONE (BeOS Networking Environment) to have the 'latest' BeOS from Be, inc.; or Zeta which is based on it with an slightly udpated Kernel.)

Still searching for a replacement OS, nothing yet.
Following PC-BSD & Haiku (formerly OpenBeOS) progress though...

Tell me about it. Since i've had it running the past few days i've only touched windows once. I shut down my pc so to turn on windows xp even though my pc boots pretty quickly is nothing like BeOS.
I turn on my pc, I choose BeOS in the bootloader. Bam 15seconds later i'm ready to roll.

Resizing windows etc... it's just such a smooth user experience.

BTW I think Bebits has the updated bone stadck on their page for download.

I would definately by zeta at $99 for the updated drivers and compatibility.

Wish it was $49 but hey 99's not to bad.

I like it much better than linux. Linux is such a hodge podge of software to me. Nothing fits quite right. The gui is slower than windows. Linux is what it is , a server OS. That's where it's roots lie and that's where it will always thrive.

Ingenu said:
Used it for two years, it's a real pain to use windows (any version) now.
It's simply unresponsive, slow, crawling doing I/O operations, user unfriendly, not easy to setup compared to the BeOS.
That said the BeOS doesn't have half the drivers and programs, but all it does, it does it well. (You would want BeOS 5.1d0 aka "Dano" with BONE (BeOS Networking Environment) to have the 'latest' BeOS from Be, inc.; or Zeta which is based on it with an slightly udpated Kernel.)

Still searching for a replacement OS, nothing yet.
Following PC-BSD & Haiku (formerly OpenBeOS) progress though...
Slow and unresponsive doing what?
user unfriendly?
not easy ot setup?
You have a backwards mind I'm afraid.
if windows is one thing, it's easy to use.
You're supposed to say it's too easy to use and that typing commands is much more efficient.

radeonic2 said:
Slow and unresponsive doing what?
user unfriendly?
not easy ot setup?
You have a backwards mind I'm afraid.
if windows is one thing, it's easy to use.
You're supposed to say it's too easy to use and that typing commands is much more efficient.

You're obviously not talking about the BeOS or never used it on compatible hardware.
I've used both Windows and the BeOS for years, and there's not doubt to me that BeOS is far more user friendly (per application sound volume), easy to setup (NAT in 3 clicks), and if you ever go into a Terminal, it's because *you want to*.

Mimetype instead of lame extension checking; installing the BeOS is easy and straightforward, you can even install it from a HDD to another; you don't need to reboot after having installed a driver; you select what app open what format, or choose from a list (that was in 8 years ago, long before windows copied it from the BeOS); you have many desktops each at own resolution & refresh rate with own wallpaper, accessing with CTRL + Fx (and that long before Linux); files have attributes which can be whatever you want and are queriable; journalized 64bit file system (never lost data); and so on and so forth...

Those are just the features that came straight to my mind, but we are WAY OFF TOPIC ALREADY, so let's stop here.

Back