Is there anything bad about buying a computer from Dell?

Reilly311

Newcomer
Not just Dell, but any major computer company? I consider myself to know more about computers than the average joe. I'm not confident enough however to build my own. I'm going to college in a couple months and I want a computer (so I can play games). Does Dell, for example, use crappy parts to keep costs down? Anyone know any secret info? I just glanced at their site real quick and the fastest processor they offer in their computer is a 3.4GHz w/800MHz. Is that already outdated? Can I get an even faster one if I build my own?

Thanks!

You have to watch out for any weird custom parts, such as risers. IIRC, Dell uses custom PSU's that are wired differently than standard ones. It's really only an issue when you want to do any upgrading or messing about inside the case. They tend to do stuff like laptop-like bioses on a custom hard drive partition and other weird stuff.

You do have to check the spec carefully to make sure they haven't skimped on anything, but in terms of being able to use their massive buying power to build decent computers cheaply, they do offer reasonable machines.

However, by doing your research and building your own machine, you do tend to end up with better quality components, something that is more tailored to your particular needs, with more longevity and with more expansion/upgrade potential, often for not much more money.

To be honest if you are careful and not an impatient person you can build your own computer. As long as you are willing to ASK QUESTIONS and wait for and answer on a website like this then it is really really easy there is a reason the people putting the dells together get like $6 an hour, the hard part is trying to figure out which components to get and make sure they will all fit together, but that too can easily be accomplished by asking on a message board.

My Uncle just bought a dell and I have to admit I was amazed at how crappy of a deal he got. I mean I thought recently it was beging to come to the point where you could buy a dell and get equivalent performance for the price, however this is not the case especially if you are planning to Game as you say you are.

If you can manage with a CRT instead of an LCD you will save a bundle as well a 19" decent monitor is just of $200, and for gaming you need an expensive LCD....

building a computer is EASY. plop in the PSU, plop in the motherboard, plop in the processor (by far the hardest part), plop in the drives, plop in the cards, and install OS. Takes a day.

Sxotty said:
If you can manage with a CRT instead of an LCD you will save a bundle as well a 19" decent monitor is just of $200, and for gaming you need an expensive LCD....

It's when you take into account the monitor that a Dell package comes with, it suddenly gets a lot cheaper than putting a PC together yourself. If you already have a monitor, the prices are a lot closer with regards to building a PC yourself (and you usually get better components when buying your own bits).

A couple of years back, I priced up a ready built machine and it's components ordered separately, and I reckoned they were charging only about £30 to build the thing for you. Obviously the builder makes money from having a trade discount on the components that he buys, and that's where he makes his profit.

I would be cautious about speccing/building a PC yourself if you've never done it before. It's not difficult once you've seen it done, but if you don't feel confident I'd recommend finding a friend who know what he's doing to help you do it. Make sure it's someone who *knows* what he is doing, not someone who just *thinks* he does.

It also depends on your ability to solve problems too. If you build your own computer and don't know how to fix any problems you run into you will have a rough time. While Dell's support isn't wonderful for basic tech issues it is good if you have to replace a part. In most cases you will have a replacement part and a tech to install it the next day (if you got that plan).

The Dell's aren't horrid comps at all. I got one four years ago when I went away to school so that if anything went wrong I could get help or a replacement part quickly. I only had one problem with it and that was the DVD drive...the thing died several times but I had a replacement part the next day when it did. The only non-standard component in it was the power supply and even then that wasn't an issue. It was rated at 200W but that was nominal wattage not peak...and man did it handle itself well with all the stuff I shoved in that system. A couple years ago I did end up building a comp on my own but the Dell is still chugging along as a little linux server. It has served me well so I can't complain. I also recently bought a Dell for my first laptop and have been quite pleased with it too. It was reasonably priced for what I got (if only I could have afforded a nice IBM one). It really comes down to how comfortable you are around computers in general and especially inside if you are going to build one.

The troubleshooting/support of all oem's is drying up completely lately.

BZB the main difference I see with Dell is only if you get a LCD screen. I have actually priced them out recently as I built a computer for my brother in law for $640 with the monitor that was the same performance category as my uncles $1080 dell except the cheaper had a 19" CRT and the other had a 15" LCD...

Of course much of that is my uncle's cluelessness and not Dell's fault, i.e. a person that had a clue could get a Dell that performed well for a similar price but many people get one that doesn't perform well b/c they don't know what they are actually getting and what is important for different computing tasks.

edit:

Sorry by the troubleshooting commment I mean that warranties are getting shorter and support is getting worse. It is a coast cutting measure, but is occuring nonetheless.

whats the difference between a CRT monitor and a flat panel LCD? I understand theres a size issue, but anything that would effect gaming?

Reilly311 said:
whats the difference between a CRT monitor and a flat panel LCD? I understand theres a size issue, but anything that would effect gaming?
CRT--the Big Hulking Normal Monitors.

LCD--tiny monitors.

yes, CRTs are much better for gaming. unless you have a high-end LCD, you will have a high pixel response time. this is basically the time it takes for a pixel to turn from black to white (or maybe it's black to white to black. I forget), and it can be around 30-40 ms. considering you have games going at 50 FPS, which means new frame every 20 ms, the slow response time often results in ghosting, which means that fast-moving objects leave slight trails. some people aren't bothered by it, some claim it's the root of all evil. either way, CRTs are better for gaming (as they don't have a native resolution, so you don't have to worry about distortion when you lower/raise the resolution).

Check out Alienware. I've heard they've a lot more competatively priced now and I just had a friend pick one up after going Dell last time and he is just GAGGA about his new rig and how he'd never do Dell again. (NaumoJr over at Elite Bastards if'n you'd like to ask him yourself. :) )

The Baron said:
Reilly311 said:
CRT--the Big Hulking Normal Monitors.

LCD--tiny monitors.

yes, CRTs are much better for gaming. unless you have a high-end LCD, you will have a high pixel response time. this is basically the time it takes for a pixel to turn from black to white (or maybe it's black to white to black. I forget), and it can be around 30-40 ms. considering you have games going at 50 FPS, which means new frame every 20 ms, the slow response time often results in ghosting, which means that fast-moving objects leave slight trails. some people aren't bothered by it, some claim it's the root of all evil. either way, CRTs are better for gaming (as they don't have a native resolution, so you don't have to worry about distortion when you lower/raise the resolution).

cool, thanks for the heads up everyone
icon14.gif

The Baron said:
building a computer is EASY. plop in the PSU, plop in the motherboard, plop in the processor (by far the hardest part), plop in the drives, plop in the cards, and install OS. Takes a day.

more like 2-3 hrs for the whole thing .. the longest part is installing the OS.

RainZ

Why is everyone glossing over the fact that you have to buy an OS when building your own PC??? If you want XP, it's going to cost at least $85 just for the OS alone. Unless you're going to run Linux or using pirated software, building a PC isn't going to be cheaper than a DELL or Gateway or whatever. :rolleyes:

You're going to need at least 256MB of RAM if you're running XP. That alone is about $100 for a brand name DIMM. That's already $180 just for the OS and RAM. What about the CPU, HDD, CD/DVD, mb, video, audio, LAN, modem, case, kb, mouse, speakers, monitor? :rolleyes:

PC-Engine said:
Why is everyone glossing over the fact that you have to buy an OS when building your own PC??? If you want XP, it's going to cost at least $85 just for the OS alone. Unless you're going to run Linux or using pirated software, building a PC isn't going to be cheaper than a DELL or Gateway or whatever. :rolleyes:
Because a lot of us do choose one of those alternatives thus negating even thinking about it.

You're going to need at least 256MB of RAM if you're running XP. That alone is about $100 for a brand name DIMM.
Uhm, I just picked up a stick of 512MB Kingston PC3200 for $91us...where in the hell do you shop? :|

Diplo said:
The Baron said:
building a computer is EASY.
The hard part is researching and choosing the constituent parts. Buying the right motherboard, in particular, is essential.
oh come on, just buy an NF7-S if you're making a budget machine. :)

(it really is the best motherboard ever)

(PS--this post is hella 1337. <--------------- )

The Baron said:
oh come on, just buy an NF7-S if you're making a budget machine. :)

(it really is the best motherboard ever)
I was gonna say, that's the EASY part!

Just post up at a few of your fave forums and grab whatever the consensus is from your bright friends who make some suggestions for you, it works like a charm! ;) (Sayeth the Dig oggling his NF7-s rev2 thru his spiffy new case window)

digitalwanderer said:
PC-Engine said:
Because a lot of us do choose one of those alternatives thus negating even thinking about it.

You're going to need at least 256MB of RAM if you're running XP. That alone is about $100 for a brand name DIMM.
Uhm, I just picked up a stick of 512MB Kingston PC3200 for $91us...where in the hell do you shop? :|

Well the guy wants to run games and last I heard there weren't any games for Linux. That memory price you've mentioned isn't going to make the PC that much cheaper. You'll save $40...on the whole PC wow.

Back