Is the Samsung 840Pro reliable?

fehu

Veteran
I want to go ssd on a budget for my notebook, putting in it only os and programs, and keeping the data on the actual disk (switching it with the odd).

After some search I've found that apparently the best affordable and reliable disk on the market is the samsung 840 pro 128gb.

Someone has long first hand experience with it?
Is really reliable or I will spend a day of every next year cursing because some data got corrupted and had to reinstall anything?

I don't have the 128GB model but I do have a 256GB unit that's been running over one year (close to two years i believe) on my work laptop and a 512GB unit in my gaming laptop for about six weeks. Never had any issues with either.

I have 9 840pros 120gb running SQL databases.

3 of them corrupted me some windows files. I chkdsk /R them and they seem fine afterwards, until they corrupt some more a month later.

If you are on a bargain there are cheaper 128 GB SSDs out there, like the normal Samsung 840 or even the older 830.

I have 9 840pros 120gb running SQL databases.

RAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDD :Q________

Your workload is hight? Can it be a problem caused by the raid controller?
I want to use it only for os and programs, so the read/write cycles will be relatively low

840pro is very recent, what is your model?

Hmmm...the 512GB is definitely a pro ($519 at microcenter about six weeks ago) but the 256 GB is likely the 840 non-pro. I'd have to check...and will once I get to the office.

Generally speaking, Samsung SSDs tend to be amongst the most reliable from what I have read. Bad apples will always occur like with any mass-produced item, but fundamentally I believe the drive to be a safe choice. AFAIR, it's also very frugal in power use so good choice for laptops.

i think samsung should be good. i use cheap ADATA SSD on my laptop heavily by using it as photoshop scratch disk, 16 GB windows pagefile, a bunch of games.

almost zero problem, it just getting very slow when i do a bunch of thing while playig BF3 or BFBC2 but i did not close all my work app (photoshop, etc).
Performance fixed by pluggin SD-Card as a Windows Boost.

its been 6 month now. and its still alive.

RAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDD :Q________

Your workload is hight? Can it be a problem caused by the raid controller?
I want to use it only for os and programs, so the read/write cycles will be relatively low

No raid, 9 sdds in 9 separate computers

I hope those SQL databases aren't running critical systems lol

I picked up an 840 a few months ago for a laptop. The rest of my systems are all Crucial M4's which I think are just fantastic.

The 840 is TLC and cost only ~20€ less, so I want to go for the more reliable mlc

Ouch, that's got to suck. In the US the price difference can be rather large. If you wait to get them on sale you can get the 840 250 GB driver for about 140-150 USD. The 840 pro on the other hand might go as low as 220-230 USD on sale.

Even at 120/128 GB sizes, the price difference is generally around 40-45 USD. IE - 40%-45% more expensive for the Pro version.

I'm actually waiting for the new Crucial M500. It'll be roughly the same price as the Samsung 840 (retail prices just slightly higher), but the main draw is that they'll introduce a drive at 960 GB capacity for 599 USD retail, but street price will likely hit around 500 USD or lower while on sale.

Regards,
SB

It's already listed over there, at 337.05€ for the 480GB one and 541.35€ for the 960GB version (VAT included)

Similar price difference between the 840 and 840 pro here, the 840 250GB is at 155 euros and the 840 Pro 256GB at 215. Considerable, yes

It's already listed over there, at 337.05€ for the 480GB one and 541.35€ for the 960GB version (VAT included)

Similar price difference between the 840 and 840 pro here, the 840 250GB is at 155 euros and the 840 Pro 256GB at 215. Considerable, yes

Ah, cool that prompted me to see if it was listed for sale in the US yet. I didn't even think of doing that before, doh! My head is all screwy with how busy I am.

Anyway, prices are still pretty close to retail here due to the products just launching. 395 USD versus 399 USD for the 480 GB model for instance.

I figure in about 3-4 months it should settle down to a good street price. Although if demand for the 960 GB model is high, that might not happen for a while. And that's quite possible as there is Zero competition for the 960 GB model in that price range.

Regards,
SB

Back