Is the new Iranian Revolution starting this Sunday?

DemoCoder

Veteran
I'm sure you've all heard of the Iranian Guardian Council rejecting 50% of the reformist candidates in the upcoming election, including many representatives running for reelection. Is the showdown between the reformists and hardliners coming to a head? Check this out:

Important message from the crew at Blog-Iran:

--Plan for the peaceful removal of the Islamic Regime:
--This Sunday, January 18, 2004 http://activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=992 A Plan for the peaceful removal of the Islamic Regime of Iran will be announced during a live program broadcast on many Iranian satellite TV and Radio stations. The program starts at 10 AM PST from NITV studios in Los Angeles and will last for 6 hours, including a fundraising segment to support the plan. Other media who have confirmed the live broadcast of this program include Pars TV, Radio Sedaye Iran, Radio Yaran, Radio Sedaye Emrooz, Rangarang TV, Apadana TV, and Lahzeh TV.
This program can also be seen live via the Internet at www.IranRadioTV.com who will provide a FREE link on that day.
http://bestofiran.com/frontend/index.asp

Keep in mind, the last megastudent protests were also coordinated on Satellite TV stations.

lets see,
-limiting who can run for office
-massive casualties from earthquake due to poor building code (talking about the modern buildings)
-student protests in the past
-limited freedoms for a populace craving for more.

ahh, the ingredients necessary for a revolution. :) hopefully they dont get mowed down like in tienam square.

later,
epic

Hopefully a bloodless one. But this isnt the first confrontation tween reformers and the ultra conservative clergy. Im not sure about the level of support but I dont see much of it for the conservatives. I hope they will easily break if enough popular opposition comes forward.

I cant see them kill fellow shias in the street and easily stay in power...

pax said:
I cant see them kill fellow shias in the street and easily stay in power...

They have come down heavily and brutally on student manifestations before. Naturally my sympathies are entirely on the student side, but not necessarily my bets... :cry:

On the other hand, one can't help believing that sometime something has to happen.

Its been easy for the clergy to crack down on non shias like the bahais and other groups but Ive yet to read about really bloody crackdowns on regular citizens. They did crush student protests but nothing on the scale of tian an men that Ive heard of.

I think they are a bit afraid of letting things get too bloody. Lets hope they go easy...

I'm hopeful. Not neccesarily that the problem will be solved on Jan 18, but that the current regime will fall in the not too distant future.

Before anyone misreads this - I would dearly love to see the Ayatollahs heads' all on spears over at the Bush Crawford Ranch.

But who in the Middle East is actually noticeably better than Iran? Anyone? Iran in many ways has become one of the relatively sane nations of the region. They treat Christians, Zoroastrians and Jews as if they were mold on dogshit but then again every other Muslim nation except maybe Malaysia does as well.

akira888 said:
But who in the Middle East is actually noticeably better than Iran? Anyone? Iran in many ways has become one of the relatively sane nations of the region. They treat Christians, Zoroastrians and Jews as if they were mold on dogshit but then again every other Muslim nation except maybe Malaysia does as well.

I don't think you should confuse Middle East with "every other Muslim nation".

horvendile said:
akira888 said:

I don't think you should confuse Middle East with "every other Muslim nation".

My mistake - I should have said "Muslim middle East" both times.

Back