Is the difference only in the brand name?

(3D)

Newcomer
Can somebody tell me what is the difference between Visiontek XTASY 6564 Nvidia Geforce 3 TI 200 and Aopen Geforce 3 TI 200 or Verto Geforce 3 TI 200. Is the difference only in the brand name like Aopen or Visiontek? Thank You.

Sometimes there's a difference in clock speeds, but usually they're all the same performance-wise, and just go with the standard reference design. Go with the best price, unless you like a particular bundle they may throw in. There's some rumors that some manufacturers cut corners (such as put in a cheaper RFI filter which deteroriates 2D quality) but this can't really be confirmed as of yet, if this is the case.

For what it's worth, I've tested a few Visiontek cards, and will have the GF4 Ti4600 tomorrow. They've proven to be good; solid, stable, and good 2D quality. Usually they're cheaper than the other name brands as well.

Edit: Grammar errors, grrr.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt on 2002-02-24 22:04 ]</font>

There's some rumors that some manufacturers cut corners (such as put in a cheaper RFI filter which deteroriates 2D quality) but this can't really be confirmed as of yet, if this is the case

this isn't a rumor , it is true , they cut corners on every component , how could they afford such a low price ? by using the cheapest components available

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: muted on 2002-02-24 23:17 ]</font>

If you're looking at those 3 brands for a Ti200, go for the VisionTek. It has excellent 2D (which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) and has a 50 dollar mail in rebate.

muted:

Unless you can prove it otherwise with solid facts/evidence, I'll treat it as a rumor. We don't know what they do to cut corners, or what component they take out and replace it with. At least I haven't seen any solid confirmation that a specific manufacturer has done it.

well

i'll ask you , how can they afford to sell it at such a low price ? saving a few dollars on every part adds up after , there's just so much you can save on the packaging and manual

countless comparative reviews have already stated that the IQ isn't as good on every card

i don't know how you could think this is just a rumor .. it's like this for EVERYTHING , toothpaste to matresses

Sure, but a lot of the retail cost of the card is determined by markup. If VisionTek wants to go for lower margin/higher volume, the more power to them.

Remember, until very recently SDRAM was being sold below cost to consumers across the board. It wasn't inferior product, it was a competitive marketplace that drove the prices down.

I wouldn't be worried about Geforce3-class cards (or better) from 3rd party manufacturers. Maybe I've been living in a bubble or something, but I haven't heard any real complaints about 2D image quality on a GF3, from any manufacturer. And Visiontek I regard as especially safe -- aren't they the #1 graphics card retailer (as of last year) and don't they supply a heck of a lot of hardware sites with review boards? If they had problems with IQ, we'd have heard by now.

I can't find a link to this any more, can someone help me out? Doesn't nVidia require board makers buy nVidia's ram as well as their graphics chips? I remember some hubub about that in the late GF2 days. Does nVidia use any other heavy-handed tactics to standardize their boards?

VisionTek is cheaper because they don't bundle their cards with all the crap that most companies do (games, DVD, etc.) If you wanted to get a VisionTek card at a Best Buy or CompUSA, you'd be paying close if not actually NVIDIA's MSRP, it's because of the low overhead the online stores have is why it's so cheap.

I don't know where the link is, but I remember hearing that NVIDIA were offering memory cheap to the manufacturers as an option.

Back