Is PS2 more powerfull than GCN?

Right now I have this idea that PS2 is actually more powerfull than GCN, that it just has a bunch of bottlenecks and design flaws (like kinda poor IQ), and that GCN is just a lot more balanced and has texture compression. I´ve been having this impression since I saw titles like ZOE2, SH3 and Network Biohazard.

Am I right? Or should I be slapped in the face? Left to die in the desert perhaps?

They both have their strenghts and weaknesses.

It's much closer to anything than people give it credit for

The same can be said for gamecube vs xbox, its not like any consoles are in a generation apart.

PS2 is definitely underrated if you consider some opinions. (including mine) The fact of the matter is.. if you put PS2 and GCN development kits into talented hands, you're going to get fantastic games. The question is.. given an even amount of time for development (say, 3 years) which console would house the more impressive game? I'd wager GCN.. given its specs.

Well considering alot of the 3rd party games on both platforms are PS2 ports to the GCN, and the PS2 game most all of the time still comes out the ugly duckling i'd say the GCN is clearly more powerful. But I'm impressed with how the PS2 has hung in there with the Gamecube and Xbox. I agree the three are alo closer than previously thought.

Well considering alot of the 3rd party games on both platforms are PS2 ports to the GCN, and the PS2 game most all of the time still comes out the ugly duckling i'd say the GCN is clearly more powerful.
Actually, more often than not, multiplatform games look very simillar on both and have a simillar framerate. There are also examples where the GC version came out as an 'ugly duckling'.

Btw, I said: "PS2 is closer than most give it credit for", nothing more.

Again, I say give Konami or Square 3 years with an XDK (and the appropriate budget), and see what comes out.

Had the GS been more feature rich there would be little justification for the existance of both the Xbox and Cube from a hardware perspective. But it isn't.

Pretty much everything has been said right.

Money is what you need to do a great game. Looking at 2-men-rushed ports will not give you a good estimate of the GC power.

Moreover GC strength lies in its TEV texturing ability, which is not something you can use with a switch in your program. It requires extra effort (and money and artists ?).

I'm pretty happy with my two consoles and the fact that not one looks bad comparing to the other.

well it took about 2 years to see games on the ps2 that were better than the dreamcast (and i still think that if they were making dreamcast games the current gen would look close to the current gen ps2 games) I think soon we will start seeing games that are better on the gamecube than on the ps2. multiplatform games were most likely started on a ps2 (since that was out first) which just goes to show how powerfull the gamecube is. Give sega a year with the gamecube and you'll be saying re0 who ? They are just the gods of consoles and its such a same the sony was able to kill off the dreamcast with nothing but empty hype. The dreamcast gets more play than any system I own( and i own many from the intellivison all the way up to the xbox)

PC-Engine said:
PS2 development has pretty much matured while GCN development has not.

Agreed. From what I've seen, the height of technical acheievement on the Cube was a launch title; nothing since then or even announced can match up to Rogue Leader. In my opinion, of course.

Ozy I would agree with that statement if it were'nt for a little known title from Retro coming out in about a week. Good gracious MP looks incredible.

As I stated earlier, PS2 has done well by hanging in there. And to the casual player he can't tell the differences between Red Faction 2 and Metroid Prime. But as far as pure image quality and texture clarity and detail..I have'nt seen anything on the PS2 that can compete with Metroid and Rogue Leader.

In fact I think it's alot closer between all three systems rather than just PS2 and GCN. In my eyes, I'm seeing the gap between the GCN and XB ALOT closer than PS2's underpowered gap from GCN.

PS2 development has pretty much matured

I will take a wild guess and say that developmentwise GT4 will be the peak.

After that the changes will be small and more subtle.

Among current games Burnout 2 is a good example of how good a PS2 game can look today.

It's somewhat interesting that some of the things that make the PS2 games look better than the games in it's early years, are "features" that the X-Box and Cube has shown from the start, while the X-Box and the Cube hasn't shown any of their other strong points very clear.

Ohh and when we talk about what if's, what if the PS2 only had one VU, it's just as interesting to go the other way :)

Heheh well according to sone Sony slides at Gamasutra, VU0 remains idle 95% of the time, so..... :p ( basically its only use is a bit of macro code atm)

well it took about 2 years to see games on the ps2 that were better than the dreamcast
Nonsense. The launch Tekken Tag game was technically more advanced in just about every way than the best looking DC fighers at the time.

Why do you keep on mentioning TTT?
I have T4 and it do not look very good. The fighters look low poly, lower than even DOA2, the backgrounds look empty most of the time.
I guessed the AA, vibrant texturing and progressive scan took out some of the polygon pushing power of PS2.

Is the older TTT better? Why did Namco downgrade the graphics?

Back