Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU in crysis?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Hazuki Ryu, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

I have an Athlon 64 x2 5200+ at 3.2ghz and a G-force 9800GT overclocked to 700/1000, I can get somewhat decent framerates most of the time here's how I play:

All the very high are on dx9 xp

Texture: Very High
    Objects: High
    Shadows: Medium
    Phisics: Medium
    Shaders: Very High
    Volumetric effects: High
    Game Effects:Medium
    Particles:Medium
    Water: High
    Sound: Very High
    Motion Blur: off

1024*768 no AA when I increase the resolution during the framerate drops or reduce it doesn't seem to have any effect.

So I would assume it's the CPU because it happens when there is a lot of movement from AI around me doing stuff, they don't have to be on screen to slow it down that's why I assume it's the CPU but I'd like to know for sure.

If it's the CPU I will upgrade it to one of 2 options Intel Q6600 or INTEL Core2Duo E8400 wich are both around 150€, wich one of this would be a better option for the present and next 1 or 2 years? I intend to overclock it, and I'm looking forward to games like Alan Wake and Project Offset so I lean more towards quad core since I know Alan Wake at least is being build with quad core in mind.

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

That sure sounds like a CPU bottleneck. I am CPU limited in Crysis during physics heavy scenes with my 3.2GHz E6750 and GTX260.

I recommend a Q6600 over an E8400 if you will be overclocking.

3. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

I see thank's for the reply.