Is it fair to register a country specific corp. domain? Read

Striker

Newcomer
Hello there,

although my intentions may not seem as clear as they are, I am here to ask the forum folks if they believe that registering a country specific company domain is fair and should be allowed.

Meaning,

When I registered the domain name of our site, through the .GR domains Hostmaster, I had enquired if I could redirect to the http://www.rage3d.gr domain corporate domain sites, such as for instance. http://www.ati.gr, without implying that we actually WERE ATI in Greece.

I was told, as I should have been told, that such a thing was unacceptable, and I wouldnt get through with this. I accepted this, since ATI or any other relevant domains were just a part of a wild idea.

However, all those happened in June-July 2003. Now, in January 2004, a prankster has come and registered perfectly legally (according to the hostmaster, although they mention very strict rules against registering trademarks and registered signs) the domain http://www.nvidia.gr.

Not even nvidiafans or nvidiacenter or I don't know what...But the name itself.

Naturally, I felt this was an insult not only to me as one who could not do the same thing (normally) but also to the company -If you take the time and check the site out, besides it being in Greek, you'll see that it's poorly built, resides on a Greek host-reseller, and generally does not exactly honour NVIDIA, apart from the fact that they keep voting for NVIDIA on the main poll..-

Also, when the site had started out (It now is in version 2.0, since 1.0 was lost when their cheapo webhosting service shut its doors), they had spammed half the Greek internet with posts about the site...

Not posts like mine for Rage3D Greece (= purely information about the site opening) but arrogant posts, that even claimed that "they might have the OFFICIAL COOPERATION of NVIDIA Corp." and written and expressed in poor Greek grammar and spelling, as well.

When asked about this later on, they stated that they had " emailed NVIDIA about the existence of the site and got no responses, but they took this as a sign of cooperation".

And the best thing? The domain was initially registered with an email that corresponded in a Greek soon-to-open hardware e-shop (which is not exactly my definition of a quality online shop), and they shamelessly use the NVIDIA name in order to link people to the shop, and sell more NVIDIA products.

Now, this is outrageous in my books.

I have notified both the Greek hostmaster (which needs...I don't know, apparently many emails to actually do something) and NVIDIA, to no avail.

What do you think about the whole issue, and country specific domains as well?

I know that this subject may well go in Off Topic, but I feel that the exploitation of CC domains from users might as well be a problem for the companies and/or industry.

All opinions welcome...Also, all people who could notify whoever can take action against this miserable figure of a site, are welcome to do so as well.

Thank you for your time reading this,

John "Sovjohn" aka "Striker" Matzavrakos
Editor in Chief & PR Manager
Rage3D Greece

Most domain registrars does not touch patent, trademark and copyright issues at all. They just deal with the technical registration on a first come - first serve basis. Earlier this practice allowed some people to make quite a bit of money cyber-squatting popular names - simply holding them for ransom.

There are now pretty good procedures (see also here) in place to prevent that kind of thing. Most top level administrative bodies have similar policies. Registering such a name today would in most cases just loose you time and money because it would be taken away from you, and depending on where you are in the world might also land you a lawsuit. In this case, if he is using the nVidia name simply because it is a popular computer related trademark, nVidia would probably get it if they asked for it (bad faith provisions) most places.

This, however, does not seem to be the case with the .gr domain, so nVidia propably would have to go to a Greek court if they want nvidia.gr, and - while I would guess that they would win - I really have no idea on how such a thing would work out there.

.gr FAQ said:
18. I have trademarks for my companys whole product line which are therefore protected and cannot be registered by a third party as a domain name, right?

Wrong. There is no legal precedent which binds domain name registrations to registered Trademarks, therefore the only rule that applies is first come - first serve. As a result, anyone can apply for a domain name that is available, as long as they state that they are not infringing on another parties rights. If a registration does infringe on a third parties rights, the Hellenic legal system is fully capable of handling the matter.

Edited for clarity.

Back