Is D3 too easy?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Swordfish, Aug 10, 2004.

?

Is D3 too easy

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Swordfish

Newcomer

How are you fairing on D3, are you finding the game not challenging at all?

Im playing it on Veteran. Im at Alpha labs sector 4, and this is far from what youd consider "Veteran". I hardly ever get any close calls and all the enemies are very easy to kill off.

When a zombie marine fires at me each bullet only does like 5 hps. I could stand there all day and take shots before dieing. theres been times when I have been smacked and shot the F up and still have like 77 hps.

When I do get close calls, with lower HP, which is very rare, theres a medikit or heal station right around the corner to boost me back up to 100 health. and some armor right nearby it.

Whoevers job it was to add all these medkits really overdid it. There should only be mabye 1 or 2 kits per level, not per room.

Seeing it takes computer power to run D3, ID software should have made the game very difficult to play to cater to professional gamers. Somone with a computer and graphics card that can run D3 isn't going to be new to FPS shooters. Recruit should be hard, Marine should be harder, Veteran super hard, Nightmare damn near impossible. They should have taken a 23 hour game and made it so difficult that it takes a few more hours to beat.

I think a limited save system would have helped. Mabye you should only get 1 quicksave per level in addition to the autosave at the beginning.

From the reviews Ive read Nightmare is damn near impossible, your health constanty dwindles even when your not being attacked Ive heard? Couldn't they have done somthing else to make the game hard without having an unseen TFC medic infect you at the beginning of the game?

2. vrecan

Regular

everything you just explained would have sapped all the fun I even had with doom3... to me it was challenging enough just was a one trick poney!

3. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

It's easy unless you play nightmare. ;)

4. Legion

Regular

Nightmare mode is incredibly difficult.

5. nggalai

Regular

As I go semi-ironman in DooM3, veteran is fairly challenging. Well, at least the later levels, especially in/after Hell, but even earlier there were some close calls. I find quicksave/-load kills this game like no other I ever played. I only save after using a medi station, i.e. use those things as sort of checkpoints, and if I completely messed up a fire fight and am left with, say, 10 health points, well, so be it. Will have to survive on this until the next medi station or medipack.

This makes even the monsters-in-closets situation bearable and sometimes quite unnerving. Should I open that storage door, in hopes of finding a medi station, or leave it be as there's almost certainly at least one monster in it and I only have 4 HP left? Damn, what was that noise around the corner? ;) You start shooting at everything that moves and jump at every sound.

Still, considering even I didn't die too often on Veteran difficulty played as described above (again, at least the first half of the game), DooM3 probably is too easy for most. I don't play FSP too often, and if I can manage, most hardcore gamers will probably go through DooM3 like a hot knife through butter.

-Sascha.rb

6. anaqer

Veteran

It's easy... to say Doom3 is too easy when you're still in the alpha labs.
    Wait untill revenants, lost souls and other enemies become common.

Besides, it's not like the original Doom games had little health and supply or incredibly difficult battles... if it wasn't for the respawn thing, even Nightmare would not have been anything but a walk in the park.

7. Silence429

Newcomer

And you need to complete it on veteran first to enalble nightmare?

8. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Revenants = 2 head shots and they die.

I play on the easiest mode. :lol:

I use plasma rifle against them because it destroys missiles if I can't get close to them.

9. logen999

Newcomer

it was kinda easy on med. i should replay it on vet.

i dont wana play nightmare because i dont think its fair that monsters respawn, it seems cheap.

10. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

I completely suck at this game. I panic, and strafe into walls, and sometimes, I get lost:(
    Playing it sober will be like playing for the first time, all over again:)

11. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I beat the game on nightmare in 16 hours . Way to easy and i suck at fps

12. Diplo

Veteran

I totally agree. With (regular) checkpoints instead of quicksave the game would be far more challenging and much more tense. However, no doubt id anticipated the legions of moaning 'fans' who would have jumped down their neck if they'd taken this brave step.

13. Dio

Dio
    Veteran

It's been shown that amongst hardcore gamers instant-save is a turnoff, whilst amongst casual gamers it's supposed to be a must-have feature. Since hardcore gamers are vastly outnumbered, and set their own 'rules' on themselves anyway, instant save is therefore in. Makes sense to me - if you don't like it, don't use it.

As for myself, I found - playing on recruit, because I'm not an FPS fan, haven't played a shooty FPS since the first half of JK2 - the game was still quite hard until about the start of the delta labs, when my FPS reflexes suddenly clicked back into gear. After that it was fairly easy except for the Hell boss. In further play, I thought the higher difficulty levels were well balanced (i.e. Veteran was tough and Nightmare was just plain amusing).

14. Diplo

Veteran

There's more to checkpoint-based games than simply removing instant saves. Games have to be designed properly not to require lots of instant saving. Trying to play a whole level of Doom 3 without saving would be insanely hard, but break that level up with regular checkpoints and it wouldn't be. Place them logicall (ie. before a boss fight and after tough bits). Gamers shouldn't have to make their own rules, that's not their job.

15. nggalai

Regular

That's why I opted for the "Medikit-as-savepoint" solution. A savepoint game needs to be designed with savepoints in mind and place them at fair intervals. It just happens that for most FPS I've played, medikits and the like are placed similarly "fairly". Huge stash and 3 medikits? Bossfight's up. Just finished an insanely difficult room? There's bound to be some medicine around somewhere.

Hence, I somewhat agree with both Dio and you--quicksave should be implemented if possible or you'll frustrate "gamer Joe Average" or those who simply want to take a break and shut down the computer before reaching the next save point (gods, did I hate Legacy of Kain 2 for that one). On the other hand side, for players who prefer not to spoil their fun with unlimited savegames (and quicksaves), the level design should provide some sort of savepoint-typical landmark such as medikits, info terminals etc..

-Sascha.rb

16. Dio

Dio
    Veteran

Actually, one of the current theories is that this can be a major additional point to games, and many games are trying to add some level of 'choice of rules'.

One example would be the recent Star Wars games, where many players impose a restriction on themselves not to use Dark Side powers. Another ancient Star Wars game - namely, Star Wars, the arcade machine - I have a restriction for: I refuse not to use the force in the trench section, for no reason other than that's the way I think the game should be played.

The rest of what you say is a well made point though. One idea would be to have checkpoint saves only in Nightmare mode (which would then force the levels to be balanced as you say).

17. Diplo

Veteran

That's a valid point, though personally I don't really like having to impose my own rules just to make the game more enjoyable. Also, maybe I'm weak willed, but I find if I can do something I will. Likewise with quicksaves I find my self using them almost automatically, almost without thought.

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

You're my hero. You should really go to tournaments and stuff. :lol:

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

saves

I think my favourite way of doing saves is limited saves. checkpoints is pretty good too. But there should always be a difficulty level that offers unlimited saves, for those that have too much difficulty with the limited saves/checkpoints.

20. Shempy

Newcomer

Thats amazing. Can we see a screen shot??

I think D3 roxors. It has great graphics. I'm playing at 1024 x 768 8xaf. It looks better on my machine than any other game I've ever seen. I did and still do play Q3 (Mainly the Excessive Mod). I'm hoping the D3 engine does as much for gaming as the Q3 did(and still is). I also love playing with "GoD" on. To each his own right!! :D

As far as ill placed items in the game, they have to cater to everyone. If ID just designed a game for Hardcore gamers. How many would they sell?? I remember when UT2003 came out, it didn't run on half the machines out there. What a mess!!