Is classical training necessary for quality singing?

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I am addicted to this singing show in India since last few weeks, what a fabulous show it is and teenage singers (17-18 yrs old) who participated in it are just mindblowing. Such beautiful voices they have. All of them are classically (Indian classical music) trained. I am myself thinking about learning Indian classical music, bec'se I have tried singing songs few times and it was well, pretty bad though my voice quality is decent. Here in India, if you want to become a good singer then you must have trained in classical music.

Is it same in your part of the world? Are all good singers there trained in Western Classical Music? What is your opinion about it, do you think it is necessary?

Depends what you like. I prefer a more ragged and unpredictable style so I don't think classical training is necessary. I think most singers here are trained but I doubt it is classical. The market for voice lessons is probably for wannabe broadway and pop stars.

People still have to take all their voice lessons and breath/diaphragm control stuff and so on, and most of that is structured the same whether you're a pop singer or a classical singer.

I studied Carnatic music for a couple of years, though that was as a violinist. In spite of that, Indian classical music is a lot more vocally conceived than Western music, so I still had to learn to sing anything before learning to play it. Being that I never took any sort of voice classes or anything, my general problem with singing is not hitting notes on key, but staying there.

Deepak said:
if you want to become a good singer then you must have trained in classical music.
Are all good singers there trained in Western Classical Music? What is your opinion about it, do you think it is necessary?

Classical training surely contributes much, but only if there's a good voice to work with. On the other side, a naturally good voice is more than enough for becoming a good singer if you work on it.

I had the classical education, six years of theory, guitar and singing (both solo and choir) and it didn't make me a great singer.

So in the end, it has no meaning besides making things easier and preventing you from many mistakes you'd make if you do it without coaching. But the best singers I know haven't had any classical background.

Deepak said:
I am addicted to this singing show in India since last few weeks, what a fabulous show it is and teenage singers (17-18 yrs old) who participated in it are just mindblowing. Such beautiful voices they have. All of them are classically (Indian classical music) trained. I am myself thinking about learning Indian classical music, bec'se I have tried singing songs few times and it was well, pretty bad though my voice quality is decent. Here in India, if you want to become a good singer then you must have trained in classical music.

Is it same in your part of the world? Are all good singers there trained in Western Classical Music? What is your opinion about it, do you think it is necessary?

Deepak,
I don't know about the training in India, but I had a few months of lessons in Australia and the UK and it does help. For one, it can help you avoid doing damage to your vocal chords!

_xxx_ said:
I had the classical education, six years of theory, guitar and singing (both solo and choir) and it didn't make me a great singer.

So I take it you're an (ex?) classical guitar performance major or something?
That's cool, I'm one here at UW. At least for now.

orfanotna said:
So I take it you're an (ex?) classical guitar performance major or something?
That's cool, I'm one here at UW. At least for now.

I had to perform that stuff back then as well, but I'm a metalhead and my hands never touched the classical guitar ever since...

I have 5 electrics, though. I played many shows with different bands, but now it's just a hobby and nothing more.

Back