Is bubble wrap an anti-static material?

I just needed to know whether or not I could place pci cards or computer components, temporarily, on a bubble wrap base.

If it isn't anti-static, it will conduct static electricity if I rub it against any sort of computer component?

Generally, if the bubble wrap is pink, then it is "anti-static".

It shouldn't matter much, especially living in Florida.

I know there is some underlying humor in your statement Russ, but it flew over my head. Does it have anything to do with politics?

Anyways, I am still interested in knowing about the bubble wrap.

Florida is so humid, especially Miami, that static electricity usually isn't a problem.

As for the pink bubble wrap. Anti-static bubble wrap is pink for some reason. As is anti-static peanuts. Don't ask me why, it just is.

Sorry about that Russ, it just sounded so absurd I thought it was a joke. ;) It is very humid around where I live and I usually don't find static electricity to be a problem, but I just wanted to be enlightened.

To clear things up, static electricity is only bad for computer components when the charge is transferred to the component from the charged material? Also, a material generally becomes statically charged if it is rubbed in a manner which rids its surface of electrons, right?

A item becomes statically charged when it builds up an excess or deficit of electrons (potential) and cannot shed them.

The 'spark' happens when another object at a different potential comes in close enough proximity to allow a 'breakdown' of the insulative material (air) and there is a sudden equalizing of potential (flow of electrons) between the two objects. Its bad when that flow of electrons passes through a chip and burns out some transistor gates.

To be extra safe when working on computers you would connect the ground pin (or chassis) of your computer to a (slightly) conductive surface on which you place all of your electrostatic sensitive components. Every time you want to touch one of your components, touch the (slightly) conductive surface first or the chassis of your computer. This will safely equalize any charge, the high resistivity of the slightly conductive surface prevents damaging currents and bleeds them off safely.

Generally, the pink bubble wrap, or slightly silvery packages your motherboard and/or computer parts came in are good "slightly" conductive surfaces. Place case on ground, slightly overlapping the case cover. Place package on case cover, place components on package. Always touch case when two objects are about to touch. (You & component, component and computer)

Back