Is 599€ set in stone?

PiNkY

Regular
Supposedly Sony Greece now asks 659€ for a PS3 preorder (supposedly other retailers followed suit...).

gi reporting here...

However now that you can stop spending money on legacy ps2 software, that shouldn't make for much of a problem.... :p

For some reason, all things cost more in Greece, even though we get the lowest salaries in the EU. I dont know why. It is probably because they can get away with this. Most greeks like to think themselves as big spenders and complaining about the price is "uncool". Hopefully, greek consumers will slowly become more aware of how the market works and lately we had some big economical scandals regarding price manipulation.

I can still see 1 greek shop saying 599euros but i think it is simply because it hasnt updated its price. Anyhow, i assume that we can still order it from some other EU country, pay for delivery and still save money. But then again, sony might have locked consoles or something so that you cant do that.

Hell, whole europe is getting screwed. Ps3 costs 600$ in the US, thats 455euros because US dollars dont worth crap right now. So europe pays 25% more than americans. Companies still act like 1$ = 1euro and europeans get screwed.

PS It is cheaper to buy a freaking exported greek product on some foreign country, than it is to buy it in Greece. Sad but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in serbia, we have 18% tax on most electronic product. But I still dont know will ps3 be taxed that way...

It's still €599 VAT include here: http://ps3.carrefour.fr
Which is already more than a high price for a console, so I don't think they'll plan on increase it already.

Anyway, as others said, the price has to take into consideration the national taxes and such, so this may explain the discrepancy in the prices.

still 599€ here in Belgium (21%tax)

compare that with JAPAN
20gb aprox 325euro
60gb aprox 395 euro

now THATS a difference

The tax rate system is "killing" us

I can live with that though. I am used to it

Sony is unlucky in that respect also. They are hoping for a launch in Europe that will make boost up the userbase and reputation but the taxes imposed hurt demand

Official price here in Hungary is about 650 Euros, too. We also have a high tax percentage which kinda explains it.

As we have discussed endless times, the US price doesn't show the tax. European prices are inclusive of tax. So it's not THAT bad. It's bad, but not apocalyptic. It's not about EU tax being high (which it is!), it's about EU tax being shown on the price.

You wouldn't see a 1US$ = 1EUR conversion because that would be US price without tax = EU price with tax, which would be nice but would also mean that we get it cheaper, which will never happen unless Bush marries Graham Norton.

Tosi polloi ellines se auto to forum?:oops:

The 599€ price tag seems to be the lowest you will be able to get it. It seems quite a few countries might have to pay more. In Sweden the price is 6199SEK which is 665€, I guess not to bad compared to some other countries...

For some reason, all things cost more in Greece, even though we get the lowest salaries in the EU. I dont know why. It is probably because they can get away with this. Most greeks like to think themselves as big spenders and complaining about the price is "uncool". Hopefully, greek consumers will slowly become more aware of how the market works and lately we had some big economical scandals regarding price manipulation.

I can still see 1 greek shop saying 599euros but i think it is simply because it hasnt updated its price. Anyhow, i assume that we can still order it from some other EU country, pay for delivery and still save money. But then again, sony might have locked consoles or something so that you cant do that.

Hell, whole europe is getting screwed. Ps3 costs 600$ in the US, thats 455euros because US dollars dont worth crap right now. So europe pays 25% more than americans. Companies still act like 1$ = 1euro and europeans get screwed.

PS It is cheaper to buy a freaking exported greek product on some foreign country, than it is to buy it in Greece. Sad but true.

Yeah, tell me about it. Greeks do take pride in spending money, and like to do it as well and there are many reasons for it, except for that it can be fun, as you sadi it is uncool to complain about money and it is not nice to be regarded as "poor", but I feel that Greeks will need to wisen up a bit and not throw away everything we earn just to be cool or whatever...

Xbox360 premium in Greece costs 399 euro which make the gap between the two consoles even bigger (260euro).

Relatively it's still the same as in the US, though. 50% more for the 60GB PS3 over the XBox premium.
With the new price policy its not still the same like US. The percentage is bigger now. Actually is 65% more for the premium PS3 ( 399 x 65% = 658.35 ).
But maybe this price is only for the beginning in order to milk some more bucks from the enthusiasts.:smile:

Relatively it's still the same as in the US, though. 50% more for the 60GB PS3 over the XBox premium.

Sure? Seems different to me:
- X360 Premium 400 USD vs. 400 Euro
- PS3 60 GB 600 USD vs. 650 Euro

We'll get these prices as well. And who know what happens in the next two months (MS price cut?)

Back