iPad woes!

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I have an iP Air 2 which I bought at launch, so it's about a year and a half now I think. For the past six months or so it's been super querulous, I think it started with the latest iOS release; often it doesn't want to update apps automatically; it lets updates stack up and then after a week or so it pops up a notification saying some updates could not be downloaded or whatever, and then asks if I want to download them over the air - even though there's no cellular hardware in my pad!

Yes, it's connected to my home wifi.

Also, it won't synch pictures over iCloud, or possibly weblinks either. I know for sure it hasn't synched pictures since 15th of september of last year or somesuch, because that's the most recent image I have in my pad's photo roll.

Tried toggling wifi and auto update settings repeatedly, restarting the fucker, done the hold power and home buttons until restart bit... I think I've done a wipe on it too, but I can't remember too clearly at the moment.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this?

did you contract my disease?

back to topic, :p

if that happens on android, usually i do app data backup (not full system backup), then full-wipe the device. then restore the data.

often happens with "contacts" thats eating GIGABYTES of space and sync all broken.

The problem is in the system or app settings; doing a wipe should, and will fix it. The problem afterwards is; people always restore the full backup. Essentially undoing the wiping process.

-My advice; sync all photos away from the device, put them on your computer and make sure you got everything. The same with notes.
Mail, calendar and contacts will be synched even without restoring a system, given you use iCloud or Google for those.

-If you have done this, look at the apps you use, memorise them, or take a screenshot which you email to yourself and get ready.
( Apps utilise cloud storage: you can buy a new iPad, set it up as a new iPad, log into your account, download an app from the store and you will have your old settings. You don't need to restore the whole system from backup.)

-You can now safely wipe your iPad. You will notice it to be lighting fast, and free of errors.

-Input your mail accounts and contact/calendar sync.
-Download your old apps as you need them
-Done!

As for the troubleshooting itself; there are options in settings to 'reset the settings', 'restore network settings'. You could try those. Also check your cloud storage space; maybe that can tell you something about the photos not syncing.

Myself I would just wipe the iPad because; it will always fix it, and it's the fastest and most likely to succeed method. I know you already wasted a lot of time trying to fix it, but it's best to cut your losses and just do the wipe, so you can be freed from all errors forever, well, until te next time at least.

Did anything change with regard to your icloud or itunes accounts ?

I set my partners ipad up, and installed a few apps. She then got her own icloud/itunes accounts. The couple of times I've had to backup and re-install (new ipad), the apps that I downloaded prior to her using her own details always give problems.

Back