iOS: Super Mega Worm

I've been playing Dark Nebula 1 and 2. One is free Two is 0.99 cents.:cool:

I was told that there's a secret at the end of DN2. I think the developers are working on an overhead vertical shooter using this engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh.... haven't these developers learned that there is a 3rd dimension and that the GPU hardware also knows?

There are 3D games -- apparently the big publishers like EA an Gameloft do okay with their iOS games -- but it seems those 99 cents games with addictive gameplay like Angry Birds rule the day.

Think of it as the Wii-ification of portable gaming. People like these simpler things which don't demand a lot of time or attention. (that may be why there's no place for a PSP2 in today's portable gaming landscape).

So why develop anything requiring a lot of time and effort as far a graphics performance goes, if you're not going to be able to charge a lot for it.

I've been toying with NOVA, a FPS, on my Captivate.

It's not super easy to play or anything, but I'm pretty impressed they made a working high end style FPS on a phone. I would like to see more of this since FPS is my favorite genre. The GPU in my Capty is supposed to be quite powerful, (moreso than Droid X, Evo etc), so I find myself wondering how much better a FPS that really pushed it could look.

Although, there's so much auto aim and such to make it playable, sometimes I wonder if it's really not just a glorified light gun or on rails game or something, more or less.

Why do quick and addictive games have to be graphically inept? Can't they be pretty too?

Two problems:

1) At 99 cents, don't expect to have a large art team making graphics.

2) If your app exceeds 20mb then it can only be downloaded on wifi (3g won't be allowed) and hence heavily restricting your audience and impluse buyers, so art needs to be small.

I imagine education has something to do with it as well. There's lots of people that want to make indie games for iOS, but probably don't know anything about graphics programming. I imagine 2D is a lot easier to pick up than 3D. I could be wrong.

Game's got a cool old school vibe to it, but it's not a direct clone of any particular game I know. I like the look of it.

Plus it wins points for being Super Mega.

Heavy Mach and Heavy Mach 2, very fun little side and top down shooters with very nice 2D graphics...only 0.99 each in the App Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back