Inventor becomes instant multimillionaire courtesy of MS..

PC-Engine

Banned
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/11829466.htm

A federal jury in California has slapped Microsoft Corp. with a nearly $9 million judgment in a patent infringement lawsuit filed by a Guatemalan inventor.

Carlos Amado, 50, sued the Redmond-based software maker in March 2003, claiming Microsoft infringed on a patent he received in 1994 for software linking the company's Excel spreadsheet and Access database programs.

Amado developed the program while he was a student at Stanford in 1990 and offered to sell it to Microsoft two years later, but the company declined, according to the law firm of Morrison & Foerster, which represented Amado.

Bill Gates wouldn't have to spend so much money on charity (and fines, I might add) if his company just stopped fucking over ordinary people. :?

Guden Oden said:
Bill Gates wouldn't have to spend so much money on charity (and fines, I might add) if his company just stopped fucking over ordinary people. :?

id rarther him mess around with people and get that 9 million, than him being nice and buys whatever u make and get virtually nothing compared to that nice sum.

Guden Oden said:

Give me a break.

If MS held a patent on "Excel / Access Interface" or other such nonsese, you'd be first in line to chastise their ass for "bogus patent" bullshit and stifling innovation....

Man.... Where did i put that thing with two or more buttons with a wheel inside that you plug to a computer to "point and click" (TM) and stuff patent certificate?

I'm sure it's somewhere in my old files.... Damn if only i could find it.

But this is exactly (a rare case) where patents are a good thing. (imo)

Individual invents/develops/builds something that he has no resources to sell even if it is worth some amounts of money, offers to sell the idea/product/software to a big corporation, which declines but finds the idea good and develops a very similar solution and makes shitloads money out of it.

Don't you think the original "inventor" should get something out of it?

I agree, he should get something. The 500M claim in damages is plain ridiculous, but well he got away with 9M, for the moment, i wouldn't complain.

Back