Interview with Genji 2 producer

Quick Summary :

• Says the game took 18 months to develop, it started its first 6 months as a PS2 title then the next 12 months being ported over and turned into a PS3 title.

• Says the game end'd up being 18gb in size

• There were 50 people working on the game

• Also of note is that he says they DONT use the SPE's, although Sony were pushing them to use them. :eek:

• Also says that he and his development team were shocked at the $600 price tag as they expected to be higher

For not using the SPEs, it's a pretty impressive looking game. It actually looks very fantastic at times, one of the more impressive next gen games out, I'd say (probably in my top 10).

It would have been much better had they given full control of camera or at least opted for some better view points, as it is, it's occasionally frustrating and frequently caused me to think "wtf were they thinking". With better camera, I think it could have been a pretty decent game (nothing fantastic, but certainly enjoyable).

Kind of curious what their next game will be (as Genji story seems over, who knows though)... if they pulled that off with little to no SPE usage and only a year or so PS3 dev time, I think they could pull off something quite amazing looking on a second try (and if they made a game where camera didn't matter, then they might be able to actually make a good game!).

18gb?! WTF!? Either they were too lazy to compress, decided to make the game 90% cutscene or make it in every language ever. I hope the dev mentions the reason for this in the interview.

For not using the SPEs, it's a pretty impressive looking game. It actually looks very fantastic at times, one of the more impressive next gen games out, I'd say (probably in my top 10).

It would have been much better had they given full control of camera or at least opted for some better view points, as it is, it's occasionally frustrating and frequently caused me to think "wtf were they thinking". With better camera, I think it could have been a pretty decent game (nothing fantastic, but certainly enjoyable).
quoted for truth.

Kind of curious what their next game will be (as Genji story seems over, who knows though)... if they pulled that off with little to no SPE usage and only a year or so PS3 dev time, I think they could pull off something quite amazing looking on a second try (and if they made a game where camera didn't matter, then they might be able to actually make a good game!).
I'd be interested in their next project also. Artistically I think they are pretty good as well so it will be cool to see what they come up on their next IP whatever that may be.

18gb?! WTF!? Either they were too lazy to compress, decided to make the game 90% cutscene or make it in every language ever. I hope the dev mentions the reason for this in the interview.

Lazy?! WTF!? If you have 25Gb on a disk, why bother to compress it? It's not laziness at all.

Because it loads much, much faster. At a transfer speed of single digit MB/s, if the game takes 5 minutes to load, then maybe it's all uncompressed...

The games load times are actually very reasonable. ~3-5 seconds when installed on the HDD -- never tried it without installing (installing only took a couple minutes).

They have both Japanese and English voice tracks. There isn't much CGI, but it's 720p. Sound is 5.1 and pretty high quality. Textures seem pretty good and varied.

Who knows...

Yeah. Everyone knows no game needs over 8MB. That's why N64 is using cartridges. All those CD games are just going to be full of worthless CG!

I don't follow that logic. What in that game requires SPEs? It certainly didn't have any impressive physics. That game could've been done with a PC graphics card and a lowly 2GHz P4 CPU.

I don't follow that logic. What in that game requires SPEs? It certainly didn't have any impressive physics. That game could've been done with a PC graphics card and a lowly 2GHz P4 CPU.
preparing triangles ? skinning ? collision system ? come on, try better to get some clues ;)

He also says that Genji 2 is not very good game. It is just a lauch title. His exact words are " we know that Genji is not the game of the century and we don't think people can enjoy the game for a long time". He speaks about the camera and he says they haven't got time to change the camera system and keep the PS2 camera system. It is just a quick port of a PS2 game. His only satisfaction is the graphical quality of the title. It is very honest.

He says that Game republic develop two other game on PS3. One game is "unknown realms" and the other is unknown. The two games will be better than Genji 2.

He also says that Genji 2 is not very good game. It is just a lauch title. His exact words are " we know that Genji is not the game of the century and we don't think people can enjoy the game for a long time". He speaks about the camera and he says they haven't got time to change the camera system and keep the PS2 camera system. It is just a quick port of a PS2 game. His only satisfaction is the graphical quality of the title. It is very honest.

He says that Game republic develop two other game on PS3. One game is "unknown realms" and the other is unknown. The two games will be better than Genji 2.

You speak French I take it? Any other highlights from the interview? To hear an honest develper is extremely refreshing.

I don't quite follow your logic. The point is nothing in that game required SPEs (since they didn't really use them), which means if they put them to use, they could probably pull off even better -- even without the use it's still one of the better looking games released on either 360 or PS3.

Where did I say anything in the game requires SPEs?

You can't do that with a 3.2GHz PPE?

So... why didn't we just stick with single core 3.2ghz CPUs for all consoles then, since it can do everything! PS3 and 360's CPUs are a waste!

Obviously you can do it with the PPE, but you could do more of it/faster by spreading that type of stuff out on the SPEs...

Ahhh, they are doing the PS3 jewel summoner game... from the quick bits we've seen it's looking pretty good. Should be interesting to see.

The PSP version is reportedly very good and hits the states sometime soon too!

Back