Interesting, some rarely seen Canadian NPD sales!

Rangers

Legend
2006 hardware sales:

DS 374,000
PS2 327,000
360 252,000
GBA 237,000
PSP 176,500
GCN 89,000
Wii 84,000
PS3 45,000
XBX 32,000

http://www.brandonsun.com/story.php?story_id=39516

And the top 10 games of 2006

1. PS2 NHL 07
2. DS New Super Mario Bros
3. 360 Gears of War
4. PS2 Final Fantasy XII
5. Wii The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
6. PS2 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
7. DS Super Mario 64 DS
8. PS2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
9. DS Brain Age: Train Your Brain
10. PS2 Gran Turismo 4

Courtesy Sonycowboy.

If I have a comment, it's that these sales are a bit lower than I expected, NPD, always such a downer :).

For example, I usually estimated lifetime 360 Canada sales at around 500k, since USA is at 4.5m, I estimated 10% for Canada, and rounded up. In reality, these show it's probably more like 300k (estimated 60k in 05).

NHL FTW!

As usual, DS and Playstation 2 are dominating sales despite being technically inferior to their competitors. 360 seems to be doing well when considering the price and relatively small game library compared to Playstation 2.

Don't take the technically inferior thing to far.

these numbers are't 100% accurate. Just the same as the U.S. Walmart won't report sales numbers here either.

Even so, it wont make a difference for the console place. I dont think the people at wallmart will have different shopping behavior than at the other shops so only the numbers will change.

Even so, it wont make a difference for the console place. I dont think the people at wallmart will have different shopping behavior than at the other shops so only the numbers will change.

Walmart console game sales makes up about 35 - 40 percent of ALL video games sales. They have more pull then you give them for.

For example, I usually estimated lifetime 360 Canada sales at around 500k, since USA is at 4.5m, I estimated 10% for Canada, and rounded up. In reality, these show it's probably more like 300k (estimated 60k in 05).

What was the allocation of 360s supplied to Canada in November/December 2005?

What I mean is that if 30% buy x360, 20% buy wii etc at 3 different stores than I doubt wallmart will have figures that are really different.

That's where people run astray. The fact is, different stores have different sales habits. To claim otherwise is utter ignorance. NPD is meant to track trends, exact sales figures can easily get skewed. People like to claim NPD's great formulas and ability to extrapolate etc., make up for stores that don't report. What they don't realize, is these same "great formulas" and other techniques are what lead to the predictions. You know, the one's that are always way off of the numbers NPD actually reports.

In the end, all stores sell differently and those that think they don't aren't thinking very logically.

Part of the reason is price. An X360 is $499 here instead of $399 in the US. This is a deterent when you add 14% sales tax on top and a game you end up at $650 to get an X360 Premium with a game. It's even worse for PS3 at $700 + $70 game = $770 x 1.14 = $875 for PS3 with one game. That's a pretty huge chunk of change, especially when you consider that the average Canadian has 26% less disposable income than the average American. The new generation has barely started here.

Back