Interesting bit about how Apple helped TSMC to become better

JPT

Veteran
Supporter
Its not strictly console, but since I do not frequent other sub forums on here, I'll just post it here and if it needs to be moved, any mod feel free.

The TSMC-Apple partnership has been one of the defining relationships of the mobile computing era. Without Apple as a predictable, high volume and demanding customer, it is unlikely that TSMC would have been able to catch up to Intel on advanced node semiconductor manufacturing.

https://semiconductor.substack.com/p/the-apple-tsmc-partnership?s=r

I kind of doubt that. I heard in a recent YT 90% of all semiconducters are made in Taiwan. Coming in 2nd at 6% is Korea (Samsung). So, yeah.

No doubt Apple is big but I doubt they're more than a single digits % of volume (profit might be more) or materially affected anything that didn't happen naturally anyway.

Or maybe I just dislike Apple :LOL:

I kind of doubt that. I heard in a recent YT 90% of all semiconducters are made in Taiwan. Coming in 2nd at 6% is Korea (Samsung). So, yeah.

No doubt Apple is big but I doubt they're more than a single digits % of volume (profit might be more) or materially affected anything that didn't happen naturally anyway.

Or maybe I just dislike Apple :LOL:
It isn't just quantity, it's consistency. TSMC having a steady partner, who has a steady order history supplying steady income is important to any company.

also
Since 2015, Apple's revenue contribution to TSMC has been growing in both dollar and percentage terms. In 2020, Apple contributed ~$11B (25%) to TSMC total revenue. Since winning the Apple business, the increased cash flow has allowed TSMC to keep investing in its advanced node capacity. Outside of Apple, the only company that has both the capability and volume demand to be the lead adopter of a new technology node is Intel.
That's sort of a lot of money.

It isn't just quantity, it's consistency. TSMC having a steady partner, who has a steady order history supplying steady income is important to any company. also. That's sort of a lot of money.
Something Apple has been doing for a good decade, is where they absolutely do rely on partners to produce core components for their devices - because the economics of scale simply don't make sense were they to go it alone - they heavily invest in their partners ability to develop better versions of the things they need. This includes ploughing money into Corning for better versions of Gorilla Glass, ploughing money into aluminium manufacturing companies and, of course, ploughing absurd amounts into TSMC not only to improve their processes but to guarantee Apple is a priority customer.

These investments also trickle down and benefit other customers of these companies

It isn't just quantity, it's consistency. TSMC having a steady partner, who has a steady order history supplying steady income is important to any company.

also

That's sort of a lot of money.
It’s actually not only the money, it’s that they finance the development of the cutting edge of process technology. TSMC fabs at a number of nodes and a large part of their revenue is from older nodes such as 28nm, (and these days you’d count 16nmFF as an old node as well).

Everyone benefits from this, directly or indirectly.

Back