Interesting article re: alleged 'Holocaust Industry'

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
August 30, 2000 |

With his clever, explosive and sometimes even wryly funny little book, "The Holocaust Industry," Norman G. Finkelstein, the 47-year-old enfant terrible of Holocaust studies from Brooklyn, N.Y., hit a nerve. Such a big nerve, in fact, that it caused a blackout of virtually all intellectual circuits -- at least in this country.

Finkelstein's main and most devastating charge is that "American Jewish elites" and organizations are extorting billions of dollars from European countries and corporations in the name of "needy Holocaust survivors" in order to fund Holocaust programs, Holocaust memorials, Holocaust studies, Holocaust literature and, in general, "the Jewish community." Together they form not just a cottage industry but a full-fledged "Holocaust industry" sustained by a persistent ideology of "Holocaust correctness" that serves "certain class and political interests." Instead of helping the Jewish cause, Finkelstein goes on to argue, the Holocaust industry has become "the main fomenter of anti-Semitism in Europe" by spreading an image of greedy Jews.

etc

http://dir.salon.com/books/int/2000/08/30/finkelstein/index.html

Interesting stuff. Having a few close friends of my own from Switzerland, they certainly had some choice words to say about all the Holocaust groups knocking on the Swiss doors for more money.

kind of reminds of me tithing specifically in the catholic church....

Finkelstein goes on to argue, the Holocaust industry has become "the main fomenter of anti-Semitism in Europe" by spreading an image of greedy Jews.

Sounds a lot to me like an alcoholic blaming alcohol for his addiction.

"Money drowns faith."

Sometimes it is a case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few, or one. We all know that ''elitist's'' all over the world need a lot of money to function ;)

Obviously, there is no accounting for taste. I think I lay out my argument really simply, in three parts. The first concerns the question of why the Holocaust came to the U.S. only after the Six Day War in 1967. If you agree that the Holocaust served as an ideological weapon in the Palestinian conflict, the next question is how.

I don't know if this allegation is at all true.

Elie Wiesel's novels of the Night trilogy (Night '58, Dawn in '60, and The Accident in '61) were all published before 1967. These books helped futher the frame work of Holocaust recognition something that need to happen and what would have happened without the advent of the '67 war in Israel as more and more information was becoming available to the public.

Tahir said:
"Money drowns faith."

Sometimes it is a case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few, or one. We all know that ''elitist's'' all over the world need a lot of money to function ;)

I hope you are not talking about 13 year old 37|T|STS playing Counter-Strike? ;) :LOL:

Back