Interesting article about Longhorn graphics requirements

It was discussed here in the News-Section :

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6289

This paper is quite interesting. The Longhorn graphic will be really demanding for an embedded solution, especially the Tier2-system. PS2.0 and VS2.0 as an strict requirement is really good for all gamers. This will bring the minimum-spec of all new PC's up to the best available today. Hopefully the speed of an embedded solution is good enough.

In the other Thread I thought that an TBDR is the only solution for an embedded system, but maybe their is another (a little more expensive) :

QBM. Going from 6.4GB/sec to 12.8GB/sec bandwith would help a lot with the graphics-performance an would improve the speed of the CPU too.

How about an (sort of) RV350-embedded chip with 12.8GB/sec bandwidth! Would be an nice gaming solution now and an good system for casual gamers in two years maybe.

Last night I saw saw a person with an Intel shirt on (brown with white letters for those intrested). I said hello and said some pleasant things about Intel. Anyway I was able to have a very brief conversation with him. I asked if Intel had anything planned to counter IBM's Cell CPU. He wasn't aware of it, so I summerized the chip to him. I said, "it will probably be a .065 nm chip with close to a terraflop in performance coming out in 2005". He responded, "thats intresting and all he knew as far as performance goes it that Intel will be a .045 nm in 2005". I said to him, "you mean .065". He without any hesitation, "no, .045 nm for both Itanium and Pentium (4?)".

I don't know if this guy really knows what he's talking about or not, so take that with a lot of salt. If his statement is correct, I guess that would imply that Intel is going to skip .065 nm. An integrated chipset could end up being created at .045 nm making a good longhorn compliant chip easier.

What looks neat to me is that an application can hang the gpu and it can be reset and resume processing. This should make 3D software much stabler. Right now the OS crashes and the system reboots or gpf's.

Back