Intel's smartphone platforms

Has anyone tested a normal Linux distro on an Intel phone thus far? Normally you should be able to chroot your way into it from Android but there could be serious wrinkles in that..

That seems like it should be a killer app because then you could run WINE and thus Windows apps. But I haven't seen anyone mention it. Are these phones easily rootable?

Has anyone tested a normal Linux distro on an Intel phone thus far? Normally you should be able to chroot your way into it from Android but there could be serious wrinkles in that..

That seems like it should be a killer app because then you could run WINE and thus Windows apps. But I haven't seen anyone mention it. Are these phones easily rootable?

The Medfield/Clover Trail+ Smartphone platform itself can't run Windows due to its limitations I don't know if that would change being able to run WINE on Linux.

The Medfield/Clover Trail+ Smartphone platform itself can't run Windows due to its limitations I don't know if that would change being able to run WINE on Linux.

It almost certainly doesn't apply to WINE. I don't see how it could, the Windows environment is purely user space.

The AnTuTu scores I saw for CT+ gave it ~5000 CPU points at 1.5GHz. Getting 9500 at 2GHz shouldn't be possible. But who knows, all indications are that this is a pretty awful benchmark (not that there's that much better for mobile)

You could have been looking at the Lava Xolo X1000, which rumors sites believe it to be Clover Trail+, but actually is 2GHz Z2480(2GHz Medfield).

The only Clover Trail+ device known out there is Lenovo's K900. That would explain the CPU score being at at half, since there's half as many cores.

Also, I doubt doubt on Redhookbay platform being confused with Merrifield as well. The K900 device was initially thought to be Medfield. After all, manufacturers are supposed to showcase Android Clover Trail+ Tablets later anyway.

It said 1.5GHz on the score, but hey, that could be inaccurate too. Can you even run a K900 at 2GHz?

Android and Antutu versions may actually matter alot, since various users with similar CPUs are showing wildly different performance.

Can you give us a link for the video?

I think the problem was I was actually only looking at the integer score instead of adding the two.. here's one of what I was looking at, though http://www.phonearena.com/news/Inte...hone-K900-benchmarks-are-astronomical_id38597

These scores just seem useless to me. We don't even know what the benchmark does, but I'd place money on Dhrystone + Whetstone (which are themselves awful). On top of that, there's no justifiable reason for perf to change that much between versions and users, nor should Android versions be changing perf for a CPU benchmark that much at this point either (and shouldn't at all if they're NDK). Add the looming warning they give about people "cheating" the scores but no explanation of what that actually means, which comes as little surprise given their poorly done website with sparse broken English/

I do say this about most mobile benchmarks but I really believe it, this is just garbage.

My understanding is that even if some of the Intel based phones were rooted no one has been able to flash a new firmware (I guess it's signed or something like that, I didn't look hard).

This is the single biggest reason I want an x86 phone. I would love to be able to boot into linux to run wine, or to go a step further, have something like this vaporware:

I don't care for the proprietary peripherals, but am still very much intrigued with the concept.

This is the single biggest reason I want an x86 phone. I would love to be able to boot into linux to run wine, or to go a step further, have something like this vaporware:

I don't care for the proprietary peripherals, but am still very much intrigued with the concept.

Bah, forgot about my limited newbie rights so no url. Anyway it was a link to a phone called i-mate running Windows 8 Pro with a phone app.

Hi, I made the video that was referred to.. It was an Acer Iconia W700 Windows8 tablet, Ivybridge I3 -3217u cpu 4gb ddr3 64gig ssd compiled from source from 01 org.
The rom is available on my site , theres also an older build for the lenovo y570..
Having said that , regardless of the numbers , Android on Intel architecture rocks..provided its not an atom cpu ;) some vids on youtube under user mobimodder.. its all just information..do with it what you will :)

Hi, I made the video that was referred to.. It was an Acer Iconia W700 Windows8 tablet, Ivybridge I3 -3217u cpu 4gb ddr3 64gig ssd compiled from source from 01 org.
The rom is available on my site , theres also an older build for the lenovo y570..
Having said that , regardless of the numbers , Android on Intel architecture rocks..provided its not an atom cpu ;) some vids on youtube under user mobimodder.. its all just information..do with it what you will :)

Thank you for the clarification.

The score isn't that good. Other than the memory, the Tegra 4 scores have the CPU roughly equal, the the GPU is only 30% or so better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The score isn't that good. Other than the memory, the Tegra 4 scores have the CPU roughly equal, the the GPU is only 30% or so better.

If past results are any indication AnTuTu's CPU test is probably just running independently on all cores, and if it's Dhrystone (which it probably is) it probably achieves perfect scaling without any contention. So it's no surprise that here four Cortex-A15 cores running as high as 1.9GHz (or not, but probably at least most of that) could be competitive with a 2C/4T 1.8GHz IB.

Such a test couldn't be further from representing real world performance of practically anything.

If past results are any indication AnTuTu's CPU test is probably just running independently on all cores, and if it's Dhrystone (which it probably is) it probably achieves perfect scaling without any contention. So it's no surprise that here four Cortex-A15 cores running as high as 1.9GHz (or not, but probably at least most of that) could be competitive with a 2C/4T 1.8GHz IB.

Such a test couldn't be further from representing real world performance of practically anything.

Sorry for ignorance. ..but is drystone and wetstone run out of L2 cache? Is that what makes it non representative of a cpu total capabilities?.

Sorry for ignorance. ..but is drystone and wetstone run out of L2 cache? Is that what makes it non representative of a cpu total capabilities?.

Running completely out of L1 icache/dcache is one problem, probably the most major one, but Dhrystone has a lot of other problems.. Note that the small footprint also makes it fit unrealistically well into other CPU buffers like the TLB and BTB.

But it has other problems. It's a mess of pretty much random code rather than some adaptation of real programs working on real input, it interacts badly with compiler optimizations, and it spends too much time in library code that tends to get tweaked to perform well with it. It's also poorly documented or standardized, and has various different versions floating around. On the flip side, it's very small and portable so it's easy for a project to grab the C code and slap it in their program, calling it a CPU integer performance test (and Whetstone for FPU). BOINC for instance does exactly this. So I don't know for sure what AnTuTu does but I doubt they wrote their own benchmark.

Whetstone actually came first.. I don't really know anything about it but the interesting criteria for an FP specific program are different so it might not be as useless.

Back