Intel's dual core CPU on their roadmap for 2005

kenneth9265_3 said:
Does Duel cores perform better than single core in gaming?
thats a great question. Duel cores should perform similarly as mb's that support multiple cpu's. Most games havent taken advantage of this so much improvement hasnt been seen. Just like hyperthreading, not much gains.

What will be interesting is having duel cores, with hyperthreading, running in a dual cpu motherboard. ;)

As these features become more prevelant, software developers will take advantage of their features. Right now, youll be hard pressed to find these features implemented outside of photoshop(?).

epic
if im wrong, please correct me.

I'd be surprised if you see much use of multiprocessors by games prior to Longhorn.

Pretty much everyone I talk to says it's coming in the relative short term, and it's something that needs to be leveraged, but noone is really interested in investing the time until it's prevalent.

Longhorn does some nice things like removing the single threaded nature of DX and that coupled with nextgen console architectures might be enough to kickstart mutihreaded games.

If the clock speeds are lower on the dual core models, then it's likely most games will perform worse.

On the other hand, at least with dual-core, a lot of the overhead involved with keeping cache coherency is reduced since there is a fast link in the silicon. It might be that the overall single-threaded penalty might be lower than that of two separate cpus.

Back