Intel XeSS anti-aliasing discussion

What? Is this for real? No DLSS, FSR for now?

The PC version of Gotham Knights has been confirmed to support ray tracing.

In addition, "Gotham Knight" will also support Intel's AI-upscaling technology XeSS.

However, there is no word yet on whether the game will support Nvidia's DLSS technology or AMD's FSR 2.0 technology.

Intel has published a video today showing this:

However, there is no word yet on whether the game will support Nvidia's DLSS technology or AMD's FSR 2.0 technology.
It has DLSS and FSR2.

The game is 100% CPU limited though, to the point where you are literally getting the same fps between 1080p and 4K on a 3080, so upscaling is kinda useless there.

It has DLSS and FSR2.

The game is 100% CPU limited though, to the point where you are literally getting the same fps between 1080p and 4K on a 3080, so upscaling is kinda useless there.
Pointless on a 3080 perhaps, but a lower or midrange part, like an A770 probably does get an uplift in performance. I would imagine an RTX 3050 does as well. So I wouldn't say upscaling is useless, it just doesn't have a lot of utility at the top end. But that's true for many optimizations.

Martha is dead adds XeSS support.

Using the upscaling technology added in this new update on mid-tier PC rigs running on High Detail and 4k resolution has seen increases of up to 35 FPS average across various chapters - all without a loss of fidelity or detail.

FSR 2, XeSS and DLSS are present in the folders of Need for Speed Unbound.

kd6xkpwnae1a1.png

Dell with a Core i5-1135G7 @ 2.40Ghz, 16 Gigs of RAM, and an Iris Xe Graphics using eight gigs of shared memory running Windows 10 20H2. Dell has updated the driver since my last video post but that one did not work with the game. Only FSR would work, so you will need to go to the Intel website to download driver version 31.0.101.3790 for the game to recognize XeSS on the GPU. You might need to check for driver updates every time a new game comes out using XeSS. You will need to watch the video in HD 1080p to see the frame rate counter.

Quick Comparison below

Tested at 720p

At least in this game XeSS has an issue with uncommon resolutions

Dell with a Core i5-1135G7 @ 2.40Ghz, 16 Gigs of RAM, and an Iris Xe Graphics using eight gigs of shared memory running Windows 10 20H2. Dell has updated the driver since my last video post but that one did not work with the game. Only FSR would work, so you will need to go to the Intel website to download driver version 31.0.101.3790 for the game to recognize XeSS on the GPU. You might need to check for driver updates every time a new game comes out using XeSS. You will need to watch the video in HD 1080p to see the frame rate counter.

Quick Comparison below

Tested at 720p

how is the Iris Xe as a graphics chip? From what I've read when it was released, it was quite fast for an integrated chip.

I've played the videos, on my laptop screen, and I gotta check them later again 'cos this screen is too small to discern much. I am going to check again later on my TV screen.

On another note, FSR 2 Quality is the equivalent to XeSS Ultra Quality. I usually select XeSS Quality, Ultra Quality just looks "too good", I prefer to use XeSS Quality to save resources and because it looks more than good enough, imho, on most games.

In fact, I played Gotham Knights yesterday at 4K -XeSS Quality- and the framerate was good. The stuttering of that game is really bad though. Overall the game looks nice with XeSS enabled, although when you are on the batcycle I'd swear that the motion blur -which I have it disabled on the graphics options btw- caused by the high speed of the bike is a XeSS artefact -gotta compare with native and see if it also happens-.

On another note, FSR 2 Quality is the equivalent to XeSS Ultra Quality. I usually select XeSS Quality
From what I remember this isn't right.
XeSS quality = FSR 2.x quality
XeSS ultra quality is closer to DLAA, although ultra quality has a minor upscale but is essentially just being used for the AA.

I've played the videos, on my laptop screen, and I gotta check them later again 'cos this screen is too small to discern much.
Yeah I couldn't make out the FPS at all. So never watched them. Might try again later on TV.

From what I remember this isn't right.
XeSS quality = FSR 2.x quality
XeSS ultra quality is closer to DLAA, although ultra quality has a minor upscale but is essentially just being used for the AA.

Yeah I couldn't make out the FPS at all. So never watched them. Might try again later on TV.
yes you are right. I don't usually enable Ultra Quality though, I just find it "too good", Quality is enough for me. The base resolution is higher than DLSS Quality but it's not exactly like DLAA.

iirc, back in the day when people started to talk about XeSS -a year ago or so- media outlets mentioned that it was going to have 5 modes instead of 4.

Btw, an interesting , well explained video about XeSS released today.

how is the Iris Xe as a graphics chip? From what I've read when it was released, it was quite fast for an integrated chip.
It's not good for modern gaming at all, IMO. This is the second game I have tried that isn't really playable in 1080p. Games seem to be playable in 720p with the help of an upscaling solution. It does seem to be much better than Intel's previous integrated GPUs.

Sorry that it is hard to see the framerate counter. I'm using the one built into Steam, which is very small. Please let me know if someone knows how to make the counter larger. The Xbox Game bar, for some reason, won't overlay in-game, and Fraps won't run with the game under DX12.

I am doing these videos because the Iris Xe( 11th Generation) uses a driver-based dp4a solution that is likely more performant than non-Intel GPUs that use shader model 6.4 for dp4a. I refunded Death Stranding, so I no longer have it to test the latest Intel driver. At least in this game, XeSS looks slightly better than native, has a 6 to 7 frame-rate advantage over native, and is usually 1 to 2 frames faster than FSR 2 in Quality modes. Textures look much better in FSR 2, but certain particles disappear like the moths at the beginning of the video.

Last edited:
It's not good for modern gaming at all, IMO. This is the second game I have tried that isn't really playable in 1080p. Games seem to be playable in 720p with the help of an upscaling solution. It does seem to be much better than Intel's previous integrated GPUs.

Sorry that it is hard to see the framerate counter. I'm using the one built into Steam, which is very small. Please let me know if someone knows how to make the counter larger. The Xbox Game bar, for some reason, won't overlay in-game, and Fraps won't run with the game under DX12.

I am doing these videos because the Iris Xe( 11th Generation) uses a driver-based dp4a solution that is likely more performant than non-Intel GPUs that use shader model 6.4 for dp4a. I refunded Death Stranding, so I no longer have it to test the latest Intel driver. At least in this game, XeSS looks slightly better than native, has a 6 to 7 frame-rate advantage over native, and is usually 1 to 2 frames faster than FSR 2 in Quality modes. Textures look much better in FSR 2, but certain particles disappear like the moths at the beginning of the video.
in regards to the framerate counter of Steam, you can try to use the Scale option of the OS -in Settings/Display-. You can set it to something like 200% and see how it goes, the game's ui and internal resolution isn't affected. UI elements like the stats from MSi Afterburner or framerate counters scale with the native resolution -at 4K they are going to look tiny, but if you play a game internally at 1080p they will look large-.

Martha is Dead is not a good performer anyways.

What do you mean when you mention that Xess doesn't work well with uncommon resolutions? Bad performance or it doesn't work like in typical 16:9 resolutions?

Quick Comparison below

Tested at 720p

I am watching the last video on my TV, which has a large screen, to see what you tried to point out. I couldn't find much of a difference from the video alone. The framerate seems similar, and there is some tearing but that's common to any setting because of Vsync being disabled. What did you try to point out when you said that XeSS has an issue with non standard resolutions?

I've continued playing Martha is Dead where I left when I was just testing how the game ran.

Thing is..., DX 12 version is still a beta. Once you get past the scene from your videos, dunno what breaks in DX 12 mode but, for the most part, the screen becomes some kind of black to dark magenta crush. 😥 Some areas are just bathed on a black shroud you can't see a thing -there are paintings and stuff there and the girl mentions it, but as a player I couldn't see a thing-.

So in the end I switched back to the DX 11 version. But...., in DX11 mode the performance takes a big hit -the performance dip is huge, from 60fps to 40fps and it's a stuttering fest-. 😪 I also enabled FSR 2.1 Quality in DX11, although in this game XeSS works much better when it comes to antialiasing at least, which is noticeable by the window in the narrow corridor that ends by the stairs that leads to the house's entrance. Here:

nfxWA2Z.jpg

XeSS is not available in DX11 mode.

You didn't see all the ghosting while I was moving the camera around the the last video? That does not happen in 1080p or 720p but it happens in almost all of the setting in between. I started out trying to play the game in 900p and was going to report on how horrible XeSS looked in the game but then noticed that everything looked good in 1080p and 720p. It could be an Iris problem though.

Last edited:
Gotham Knights works okay with XeSS save for a couple of issues. Super fun game though.

There is this strange banding effect -it's not uncommon with XeSS for now though-. (the dull colour of the screengrabs is due to Steam's tonemapping when performing screen captures)

oyriKh7.jpg

Also, there is some strange motion blur effect going on -which doesn't happen in games like Redout 2- when you first use the Batcycle. This doesn't occur at native resolution.

That being said, using XeSS Quality this looks better than native --the hair looks more aliased in native resolution.

K2b444D.jpg

Performance is good, 60fps, but the stuttering is bad. Also, I can't use RT in the very early stages of the game, I get a DirectX 12 error. But funnily enough, I enabled RT again here and now it works. :unsure:

Z2drUKH.jpg

Back