Intel XeSS anti-aliasing discussion

Jay

Veteran
I am doing these videos because the Iris Xe( 11th Generation) uses a driver-based dp4a solution that is likely more performant than non-Intel GPUs that use shader model 6.4 for dp4a.
Thanks @Dr. Nick, this is one of the things I'm most interested in that you seem to be the only one covering. Much appreciated.
At least in this game, XeSS looks slightly better than native, has a 6 to 7 frame-rate advantage over native
That's a very positive result. To actually be faster and look better than native.
With such low dp4a performance I only expected better IQ with same framerate or slightly lower at quality setting.
and is usually 1 to 2 frames faster than FSR 2 in Quality modes. Textures look much better in FSR 2
This is the total opposite to what I expected.
Expected XeSS to look better but be slower.
1 to 2 frames is margin if error, but still to be close to fsr is an achievement
Wonder if textures is due to lack of sharpening especially at low resolution?

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
I am doing these videos because the Iris Xe( 11th Generation) uses a driver-based dp4a solution that is likely more performant than non-Intel GPUs that use shader model 6.4 for dp4a.
Intel already confirmed that other GPUs get to use DP4a acceleration too if they support it, SM6.4 is for those who don't (as in, it should be same as Xe iGPU)

Jay

Veteran
Intel already confirmed that other GPUs get to use DP4a acceleration too if they support it, SM6.4 is for those who don't (as in, it should be same as Xe iGPU)
I believe that dp4a is used via SM6.4 if not ran on a supported Intel apu.

There could easily be overhead going via SM6.4.

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
I believe that dp4a is used via SM6.4 if not ran on a supported Intel apu.

There could easily be overhead going via SM6.4.
Have to dig it up where they said it, but IIRC the wording was pretty clear that everything supporting DP4a should be the same and SM6.4 would be just a fallback option for those not supporting DP4a (and this was after they had shown the slides putting Xe iGPUs in different bracket than non-Intel GPUs)

Jay

Veteran
Have to dig it up where they said it, but IIRC the wording was pretty clear that everything supporting DP4a should be the same and SM6.4 would be just a fallback option for those not supporting DP4a (and this was after they had shown the slides putting Xe iGPUs in different bracket than non-Intel GPUs)
It did get a bit confusing but I think @Dictator got the actual situation out of Intel.

But I think the only place that will use DP4a directly is Intel's iGPU's.

There's 2 dp4a models 1 for arc, another lower quality one for dp4a and shader.
SM6.4 is the interface for compatibility mode regardless if its being done with dp4a or shaders.

Dr. Nick

Veteran
It did get a bit confusing but I think @Dictator got the actual situation out of Intel.

But I think the only place that will use DP4a directly is Intel's iGPU's.

There's 2 dp4a models 1 for arc, another lower quality one for dp4a and shader.
SM6.4 is the interface for compatibility mode regardless if its being done with dp4a or shaders.
Turned out later on we found that SM6.4 would use Dp4a if the GPU supports dp4a but it would not be as good as what iGPUs are using because it is not optimized for any non-intel GPU.

Last edited:

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Textures look much better in FSR 2, but certain particles disappear like the moths at the beginning of the video.
my experience with the game tells me that textures wise both look more or less about the same. The main difference between FSR 2 and XeSS, at least in my view (I shared some screengrabs some time ago), is that at medium to long distance from the camera FSR 2 starts to break (the rowboat and the dock in the very first scene with the camera, looks more defined with XeSS). Other than that there isn't much of a difference, save a couple of textures that looked a bit more blurry with XeSS but the extra detail in the distance compensated for that.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Imho, the game or games where XeSS shine the most, are Shadow of the Tomb Raider -the best one where sometimes in a couple of instances it is vying DLSS for the best graphics-, CoD MW2, Redout 2 and I still have 8 other games to try in deep. Gotham Knighst does an okay job but it is more flawed, so is Martha is Dead's implementation for now.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider look like a disney movie to me sometimes. So clean. Could it be because I suffer from (not chronic) migraines? Dunno, but I found this video by sheer chance and the author has a 3060Ti, and uses XeSS in MW2 instead of DLSS, :?: which I don't understand tbh. He explains in the comments that this might be due to him having chronic migraine and he prefers the look of XeSS. Different strokes for different folks.