Intel Xe Architecture for dGPUs

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by DavidGraham, Dec 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Leovinus

Newcomer

So it was, I was being forgetful.

2. tinokun

Newcomer Subscriber

w0lfram, Leovinus and BRiT like this.
  3. Leovinus

Newcomer

Lightman and BRiT like this.
  4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I'd never put much weight on performance numbers on SiSoft leaks.
    Also I have no clue why, but for whatever reason no matter how many times Intel has said Xe is in fact 3 microarchitectures, almost every site judging the whole architecture based on Xe-LP chip that (almost certainly) won't be used in any discrete desktop format and is different from Xe-HP which will cover most of the markets.

tinokun, PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

It's the same architecture, no ?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/xe-microarchitecture-lp-hp-hpc?amp

"It’s all technically the same GPU architecture, but Intel intends on divvying up the functionality and features across the entire product stack."

6. Frenetic Pony

Regular Newcomer

There's 3 "versions" of the architecture each aimed at differing markets, and it's not clear right now exactly what that means.

7. Leovinus

Newcomer

Yea I still haven't wrapped my head around it. Is Arctic Sounds still around in some form? Is there an expected convergence of design parts between Gen11 and Arctic Sound? Rumours around a clean sheet design to come shortly in the Xe saga by Rajas hand alone from AdoredTV... It's an interesting dumpster fire of rumours and tech confusion.

What jumped out at me was the power draw, which seems insanely high for a modern part of modest performance. Now obviously this is pre-production silicon (one hopes) and might be rough around the edges... but it's on a new process node and derived from a low power consumption Gen11 part. A 1050 ti draws around 70-75 watts maximum, a 14nm Pascal part.

8. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

new process node ? The dev kit version are using 10nm/7nm ? I believe it was still 14nm+++

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Arctic Sound is the official code name for Xe-HP-cards (as seen in the leaked datacenter group slides), not sure if it covers Xe-LP or Xe-HPC in any form

As for the SiSoft leak, there's several different things which raise some eyebrows, which more likely means SiSoft reading things wrong than anything else.
    The driver name, something which you probably can't read wrong, suggests integrated graphics. This is supported by the DDR4 memory etc.
    The rest of it says "960 SPs" and "120 CUs" which do and don't match up. 960 SPs would be 120 "CU's" (EUs) if Xe still has 8 pipes per EU, that matches up.
    However, we already know that integrated and Xe-LP are 96 EUs, not 120, and none of the Xe-HPs is expected to be 120 EUs either, but 128, 256 and 512 EUs (which may or may not be comparable to Xe-LP EUs, we don't know yet) for 1, 2 and 4 Tile GPUs

10. LordEC911

Regular

Differentiating with the amount of "Tiles" makes it sound like they are the same architecture. Obviously there will be some features/optimizations saved to differentiate from the lower tier offerings.

I dunno why they would do anything on their current 14nm process. They have 10nm working at some capacity, right?
    Even if you are only getting a dozen or so units per wafer, better to debug/optimize on a process closer to what will be released.

11. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

They're not differentiating architectures with amount of Tiles.
    Xe-HP has 1 common die, "Tile", and scales with amount of dies. Not sure if it's confirmed or not yet but apparently they should be 128 EUs per die (Tile)
    Xe-LP we know for sure having 96 EUs.
    We don't know if Xe-LP EU = Xe-HP EU or not.
    And Xe-HPC is a whole another story and we don't know if Xe-HPC EU's are similar to either LP or HP EUs

10nm is in working capacity, but it can't reach clockspeeds anywhere near 14nm, heck, 10nm Ice Lake is getting it's ass handed to it by 14nm Comet Lake on same TDP in everything but graphics (Ice Lake Gen11, Comet Lake Gen9.5) - despite having higher single thread IPC

edit: was supposed to fix "single core" to "single thread" but fixed it to "thread core" instead. Now it's fixed.
    very late edit: Apparently last time I fixed it into "despite having single higher thread IPC". I hope I got it right this time :lol:

#191 Kaotik, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    LordEC911 likes this.
  12. DavidGraham

Veteran

Raja stated that Xe LP is only for iGPUs, as it's max working TDP is 20w, it can scale up to 50w though, but it will be terribly inefficient, so Intel won't do it. So is DG1 Xe LP? or Xe HP?
    According to Anand, Xe-HPC is an 8 pipe indeed
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1518...95xDg-ChwjYMyFBZ60VNPUvNDIqVp-4hHCWzMyzh3DukY

pharma likes this.
  13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

DG1 is Xe-LP, but it's not coming for sale

14. DavidGraham

Veteran

Lightman, pharma, tinokun and 2 others like this.
  15. kaiser77_1982

Newcomer

Sincerely, I think we will see another Larrabee with XE :/

16. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Eh, nah.
    Initial parts won't be any good though.

17. pharma

Veteran Regular

March 18, 2020
    Towards Real-time Ray Tracing at Scale on CPU+GPU | Intel® oneAPI Rendering Toolkit | GDC 2020

Multi-Adapter: Integrated and Discrete GPUs Together | GDC 2020 | Intel Software

Lightman, tinokun and JoeJ like this.
  18. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

Fixed RT link:

Probably this is what Intel has meant with RT support on their upcoming GPUs. But tells us nothing about realtime or DXR plans.

pharma likes this.
  19. Dayman1225

Newcomer

PSman1700, Lightman and pharma like this.
  20. tuna

Veteran

Only HDMI 2.0b? That is a bit crappy I think...

Cuthalu and BRiT like this.