Intel to Pay Nvidia Technology Licensing Fees of $1.5 Billion

Periander

Newcomer
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Intel-to-Pay-NVIDIA-iw-285257919.html?x=0&.v=1

Under the new agreement, Intel will have continued access to NVIDIA's full range of patents. In return, NVIDIA will receive an aggregate of $1.5 billion in licensing fees, to be paid in annual installments, and retain use of Intel's patents, consistent with its existing six-year agreement with Intel. This excludes Intel's proprietary processors, flash memory and certain chipsets for the Intel platform.

No x86 licence for Nvidia. Not sure if Nvidia cares at this point.

The same "here's some cash now be quiet" deal that AMD fell for, then.

I guess refusing the payoff is just too large of a business risk and nearly impossible to explain to investors looking for short term gains.

Sadly, the end result is once again that Intel can continue with their questionable business tactics, which are hurting the industry and customers alike.

The only bright spot is that we can usually at least rely on the Euros to still sport a pair, although it isn't yet clear if the current commissioner will prove be as incorruptible as his predecessor Mrs Smit-Kroes was.

I guess refusing the payoff is just too large of a business risk and nearly impossible to explain to investors looking for short term gains.

Sadly, the end result is once again that Intel can continue with their questionable business tactics, which are hurting the industry and customers alike.

The only bright spot is that we can usually at least rely on the Euros to still sport a pair, although it isn't yet clear if the current commissioner will prove be as incorruptible as his predecessor Mrs Smit-Kroes was.

I don't know what more NVIDIA could have hoped for, apart from even more money, of course. Settling seems wise to me.

The euros did not sport much of anything except in regards to microsoft, which coincidentally was after microsoft had been owned in the US already.

Yes, we can count on the EU to follow the US lead for an easy money grab as they did with MS. Need some cash? Sue a successful US company. So far the two most high profile actions of the EU with regards to MS which didn't consist of an outright money grab were both almost univerally rejected by all consumers in the EU. Windows without media player? Rejected. Internet browser choice? Almost no change. Yay for wasting consumer dollars and extorting money from successful companies in order to try to bolsters companies with bad business execution. Meanwhile allow less capable companies to continue to use business practices that are now forbidden to MS. Way to promote a level playing field and way to encourage success, er wait, I meant way to discourage success.

Anyway, that said. Looks like Intel came out of this pretty good. So they have access to ALL of Nvidia's patents? Interesting.

Regards,
SB

The euros did not sport much of anything except in regards to microsoft, which coincidentally was after microsoft had been owned in the US already.

Owned doesn't seem an appropriate word for the symbolic slap on the wrist that the Bush/Ashcroft-neutered DOJ eventually handed to Microsoft. In fact, it was so spineless that 9 states plus the DC started their own cases after it was revealed just how cheaply the DOJ sold out to the corporate lobby.

Yes, we can count on the EU to follow the US lead for an easy money grab as they did with MS. Need some cash? Sue a successful US company.

Or rather, a company which partly owes it success to illegal business practices.

Meanwhile allow less capable companies to continue to use business practices that are now forbidden to MS. Way to promote a level playing field and way to encourage success, er wait, I meant way to discourage success.

You're so consistently present in these kind of topics with your ooh it is so unfair lament that I've come to believe that you just enjoy trolling. I hold you capable of understanding that there are rules that apply to companies that have a monopoly position and not to others. The need to level the playing field is the very reason that they need to be treated differently.

Or rather, a company which partly owes it success to illegal business practices.

You're so consistently present in these kind of topics with your ooh it is so unfair lament that I've come to believe that you just enjoy trolling. I hold you capable of understanding that there are rules that apply to companies that have a monopoly position and not to others. The need to level the playing field is the very reason that they need to be treated differently.

We already went over this. Apple has a monopoly but the EU doesn't care. Lets see what they do in regards to Intel. I think that Nvidia is screwed kinda. It makes short term sense from the stock holders perspective, but otherwise... Now it depends on how the deal works. Does intel lose access to those patents in 5 years and have to pay again? Or is it a one time payment for access in perpetuity? If so Nvidia will cease to exist in a bit.

Cal-guy is right though AMD got more when you do NPV probably. It is 1.14 billion at 10% which seems reasonable.

edit: Actually the PDF says the payments are over 6 periods and slightly front loaded, but come to 1.12 billion at 10%

Last edited by a moderator:
Internet browser choice? Almost no change.

Not so sure about that, the Browser Choice Thing was introduced at the start of March 2010 ...

http://thenextweb.com/eu/2011/01/04/firefox-overtakes-internet-explorer-as-europes-dominant-browser/

Chrome is doing very well and probably would regardless, but are there any other regions in which FF has overtaken IE (serious question, I don't know)?

If you're given a forced browser choice, and one of them is from Google, and another Firefox, surely even some of the Johnny Averages out there would be more likely to switch. Long term I would expect the Google browser to benefit more from this than Firefox.

We already went over this. Apple has a monopoly but the EU doesn't care.

But once again, having a monopoly is not illegal, only abusing it is. An investigation into Apple was started at some point and yes I agree that they need to be watched very closely with regards to iTunes music store/iPod issues.

Lets see what they do in regards to Intel.

They already imposed a huge fine on Intel. Again, contrary to the US.

I think that Nvidia is screwed kinda.

Yes, I agree. Unless they become a much bigger player in ARM and mobile devices remain as strong of a growth segment. Big if.

Anyone remember this? :D
feature_image07.jpg

They already imposed a huge fine on Intel. Again, contrary to the US.

Yes, I agree. Unless they become a much bigger player in ARM and mobile devices remain as strong of a growth segment. Big if.

To the first it is under appeal we will see.

To the second I hope they stick around. Otherwise it will stink. Maybe someone else could buy up the IP and carry on, but it will end up being intel by default unless the arm stuff takes off. I guess they could turn into patent trolls and not really produce anything just litigate as well. But maybe Denver will make a big difference we will see.

Back