Intel to make bid for nVidia? **Reuters**

Extremely and highly unlikely...

If Nvidia had their way, they'd be the ones taking over Intel.

Don't get too excited, it's NOT IN CHINESE. :LOL:

No, really, after the AMD/ATI thing, and as long as those rumors were out there, with everyone going "no way!" all over the community, I think it's hopeless to try to convince people this simply won't happen.

Nevertheless, there are two things I personally feel strongly will just never happen.

1). Jen-Hsun will agree to play second fiddle to anyone.
2). Intel will make Jen-Hsun head cheese just to get NV.

I agree it unlikely but if the price is right anything could happen :LOL: . Jen really won't have much say if majority stock holders say yes, which would be an interesting sight to see.

A hostile takeover would be even more expensive.

And a hostile takeover of an IP company. . .well, if you're after their patents, I suppose that might work. But Intel has the ability to license those patents, I'd think. If you're after future work, it's pretty pointless to do a hostile of a company who's primary asset is staff.

Intel is currently fighting an anti-trust case brought by AMD, so this seems like very bad timing. However, given that AMD is buying ATI, it might be good timing for Intel to grab what they want and then point to the AMD/ATI merger as justification to the regulators for further market consolidation.

I think it's unlikey though. Jen-sun won't want to give up his baby, and Intel is cutting jobs at the moment. A hostile takeover would be expensive, and risks losing the expertise who might flee to other companies (or even Jen-sun's subsequent new startup).

Intel's just put a lot of money into licencing Imagination Technology's tech, so I'm not sure why they'd want to then grab Nvidia at significant risk and expense at a time of cost-cutting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think a hostile takeover would work.

1- They would have to shell out a lot more to convince major shareholders to give up, and to force the buyback from the smaller investors (and as it is, Nvidia is worth susbtancially more than ATI, according to the current market cap).
2- Intel would risk loosing key people in management and R&D at Nvidia, as soon as the merger was to be completed.
3- The SEC and other regulatory bodies could see hostile buyouts from Intel as some kind of monopolistic behaviour, adding fuel to the Intel-AMD lawsuits around the world.
4- Intel is in the process of getting rid of anything that it's not in their core competence (chip design and manufacturing).

Having said that, i still believe it could happen, as AMD would not be totally helpless now, since they bought ATI.

Next stop, VIA buys S3. No, wait, they already own them...
VIA buys... Matrox :D

I really hope it doesn't happen. I'd hate to live in a world where you'd never see high-end graphics without an Intel or AMD cpu to go with it.

And, hey. . . would the ImgTec thingy with Intel --which is not a rumor, but a real thing-- have happened if this was in the cards?

Strange thing that

Intel + NVIDIA = Blue + Green
ATI + AMD = Red + Green

Red + Green + Blue = RGB :D

But NVIDIA is not likely to get purchased by Intel soon. It is possible, but probably not at this point of time given NVIDIA's worth and the pressure from AMD's lawsuit.

Well if it does happen, the ramifications of AMD and nV's motherboard, chipset support of AMD chips, will hurt like the dickens!

Well if it does happen, the ramifications of AMD and nV's motherboard, chipset support of AMD chips, will hurt like the dickens!

The core business is still GPU's, and Nvidia would eventually get to design all Intel chipsets -including the GMA's-.
That would more (a lot more) than offset the loss of the AMD business...

The core business is still GPU's, and Nvidia would eventually get to design all Intel chipsets -including the GMA's-.
That would more (a lot more) than offset the loss of the AMD business...

I'm saying AMD will get hurt big time, first thing to go would be nV making chipsets for AMD CPU's, thats a big hole AMD will have to cover in a short amount of time.

I'm saying AMD will get hurt big time, first thing to go would be nV making chipsets for AMD CPU's, thats a big hole AMD will have to cover in a short amount of time.

Yeah, i think so too.
And seeing as ATI relies on TSMC and the Taiwan board manufacturers, it would be a huge ordeal to shift part of it to AMD fab's.

Of course, as with the AMD-ATI business, these processes take some time to fully close.

Hmm, ATI makes AMD chipsets, hmm...

Jawed

The question is not "if", but "how many".
What's the status on ATI chipset adoption from the motherboard manufacturers ?
Even Dell and HP are using NV's chipsets for their AMD lines, and 4x4, for instance, is almost exclusively an AMD-NV deal for the time being.

Back