Intel slash prices on Core2 Quads to counter Phenom2 *check*

Well then your even more insane than I first thought - you crazy dutchman you should keep out of the coffee shops :D

Ps: alby was it you who was allways raving about the engine devil may cry 4 uses ?
if it was your right highest quality, 4xaa 1920x1200 over 150fps in the performance test - woot

Ps: alby was it you who was allways raving about the engine devil may cry 4 uses ?
if it was your right highest quality, 4xaa 1920x1200 over 150fps in the performance test - woot

Never played it, so I guess it wasn't me.

Yep its one hell of an engine. Or rather, its one hell of a port. Capcom of late have been pretty much the masters of PC ports. Quite ironic considering the state of their ports a few years ago.

Congrats to them for a superb turn around! Other devs should take lessons!

Yep its one hell of an engine. Or rather, its one hell of a port. Capcom of late have been pretty much the masters of PC ports. Quite ironic considering the state of their ports a few years ago.

Congrats to them for a superb turn around! Other devs should take lessons!

Agreed. I had posted a screenshot of my benchmark results somewhere...awesome port. Looked spectacular and was quite hard on the system too especially with EVERY setting maxed out. Let me see if I can find that...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1172380&postcount=27

Wish I had screenshots from the demo as well. I think I may just go and order the game for the PC just for the heck of its awesomeness in terms of it being ported.

ps: sorry for going OT
anyone got any more phenom news :D

On topic news

AMD reduced their pricing late yesterday on the Phenom II X4 940 from $275 to $235 and the 920 model from $235 to $195.

We discovered in recent testing that the Phenom II X4 (could we not have gotten a better name) 940 compared favorably to the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 and the Phenom II X4 920 was a match for the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 in most cases.

Intel is now pricing the Q9400 at $213, a drop from $266, while the Q9300 will remain at $266 and essentially be phased out. This means the Phenom II X4 940 will be priced slightly higher than its main competition but lower than the Core 2 Quad Q9550, which drops in price from $316 to $266 - a battle the 940 simply could not have won at similar pricing. The Phenom II X4 920 now competes directly against the Core 2 Quad Q8300, which saw its price drop from $224 to $183. On a clock for clock basis, the 920 is a better value overall than the Q8300 at this point. In the meantime, if you need a really good board for your new Phenom II X4 920 but are on a strict budget, then we suggest this 790GX model from ASRock that is selling for $105 now.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=541

And my simple upgrade from a Athlon X2 4400+ to a Phenom II just got that much closer! The new chips have already been shown to function in my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo without a bios upgrade, but I'm hopeful on that count, too!

Or, unfortunately for the original Phenom, had an AM2 board that didn't have sufficient power regulation and burnt up.

Or happened to have been on the Socket 939 platform, then it was no more CPU upgrades for you. EVER.

Or happened to have been on the Socket 939 platform, then it was no more CPU upgrades for you. EVER.

I feel your pain.. still running my Opty 165 (2x1.8Ghz 1MB) with 4 GB ram (mobo supports 8GB). I really felt that AMD abandoned many of it's users by pre-emptively killing off the 939 for no good reason. DDR2 offered marginal performance gains (albeit with increased latency, though later DDR2 would improve).

AMD has gotten as bad as Intel (worse actually) since the K7.. Slot A to Socket A, with socket A lasting a while. K8 brought the 754 and so began the socket shuffle.. then 939, AM2, AM2+, AM3..and thats just the desktops,.. mobile stuck with 754 while some DTRs went 939 (many omitted the 939s dual channel memory interface though), then S1 and M2 (AM2). Of course what would be a round up if we didnt include the 940 (server with some desktop face time), Socket F and F+. Ask any of the 4X4 owners who got screwed by the shortest supported platform in recent AMD history and Socket F might stand for "Fail" for possibly another 4 letter F word.

Going by Wikipedia it would appear that AMD has used (or planned to use) upwards of 10+ sockets since the K8 inception.

Desktop sockets:
Socket 754 • Socket 939 • Socket 940 • Socket AM2 • Socket F • Socket AM2+ • Socket F+ • Socket AM3

Mobile:
Socket 754 • Socket S1 • Socket FS1

Server;
Socket 940 • Socket F • Socket F+ • Socket G3 (cancelled) • Socket G34

thats like 1 new socket every 6 months.. ahh the good old days of Socket (Super) 7.. how we miss thee in terms of longevity.

I ordered a Core i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe and 6 GB of triple channel OCZ gold low voltage memory.

Let's see how this 8800 GTX will scale from my Core 2 Duo E6300. :)

I ordered a Core i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe and 6 GB of triple channel OCZ gold low voltage memory.

Let's see how this 8800 GTX will scale from my Core 2 Duo E6300. :)

Nice one, your GTX will be puffing and panting trying to keep up with that monster!

Have you got GTA IV? I would love to see the difference the i7 makes to that.

Damn, man. We've been chatting in the GTA4 PC thread! But yeah, I'm gonna benchmark my current play settings unaltered when I get the Core i7 system built.

Damn, man. We've been chatting in the GTA4 PC thread! But yeah, I'm gonna benchmark my current play settings unaltered when I get the Core i7 system built.

Lol, sorry, so many GTA4 conversations going on at the moment I lose track!

I'm betting that will be one nice increase though.

Back